Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:19 am
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of
Default Re: Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Originally Posted by Malibu Jen
But fortunately i passed last Friday Finally no more trips to the DMV!
Congratulations!
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malibu Jen
Aw, i failed originally for nearly running a pedestrian over!

But fortunately i passed last Friday Finally no more trips to the DMV!
Except every couple of years to renew your license
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:51 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
AAA FTW
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
No need. You can do it by post in CA.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Malibu Jen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vikingsail
No need. You can do it by post in CA.
Thank God...hate that place!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 2:24 am
Just Joined

macodiva will become famous soon enoughmacodiva will become famous soon enough

Luckily i passed my CA test, but think it was a close call. I really think she was looking to fail me.
"you're moving your hands to 'stiffly' on the steering wheel when you turn a corner".
"you should have stopped to make sure nothing was running the red light" while i was going through a green light with cars in front & behind me.
Can you imagine had i stopped at a green light, the car behind me would have ran straight into me!
I've been driving for 23yrs, the last 2 on a FL license, the 2 before on a NJ one. I've never had an accident or anything like that & have driven in 5 different countries.
So i agree with the others it really just depends on who you get on the day & what mood they're in!
Good Luck in your re-test.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 12:01 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macodiva
So i agree with the others it really just depends on who you get on the day & what mood they're in!
Good Luck in your re-test.
I agree. I don't think it's nearly as easy to get a licence in some states as it used to be, so advice that the process is all easy-peasy here in the US can be misleading.

The husband & I qualified in TX in 1991 with no problem. Bought the Rules of the Road book one day, read it through, walked into DMV to take the paper test the next day, the 10-minute road test two days later, then had our licences within the week.

This year in CT . . . we had to take (& pay for) a driving ed course, then take the paper test, then sign up for & take a half-hour road test. The whole thing WAS stressful & took over a month before we finally had our licences.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 12:11 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I agree. I don't think it's nearly as easy to get a licence in some states as it used to be, so advice that the process is all easy-peasy here in the US can be misleading.

The husband & I qualified in TX in 1991 with no problem. Bought the Rules of the Road book one day, read it through, walked into DMV to take the paper test the next day, the 10-minute road test two days later, then had our licences within the week.

This year in CT . . . we had to take (& pay for) a driving ed course, then take the paper test, then sign up for & take a half-hour road test. The whole thing WAS stressful & took over a month before we finally had our licences.
Yeah. It's certainly tougher now. When I took my test here in CT in 1997,I answered a few multiple choice questions on the computer ... not sure how many, but it wasn't a lot (and super simple. i didnt have any preperation and got em all right).
Then it was out to the car and a drive around the block. Literally. Nothing else, just 4 right turns. That was it, all finished.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Wife took her test today and passed, albeit with some minor faults. One of which was "slowing for the [left] turn lane before entering the lane". Considering the speed on many roads around here is 50+, and 55mph on the road she was on, and the length of the turn lane is 200ft, that's some heavy braking required!

Oh and she took exactly the same route as I did, 3 miles long.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Blimey, feeling nervous about taking mine now. I'm driving on my UK license until I can apply for my CA one. My husb moaned at me the other day for not turning my head to check my blind spots. So, is that something they're really finicky about? Any other tips? Stuff to watch out for? CA, San Diego area.

Oh, and what's this about only being able to take it three times? What happens if you fail?
Old Jul 17th 2012, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Holliver
Blimey, feeling nervous about taking mine now. I'm driving on my UK license until I can apply for my CA one. My husb moaned at me the other day for not turning my head to check my blind spots. So, is that something they're really finicky about? Any other tips? Stuff to watch out for? CA, San Diego area.

Oh, and what's this about only being able to take it three times? What happens if you fail?
Don't worry, i'm sure you'll be fine. The test is not very long & much much easier than the UK. Oh but be sure to learn your hand signals, i thought my mate was joking but looked them up just incase & sure enough i had to do them in the test!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver
My husb moaned at me the other day for not turning my head to check my blind spots. So, is that something they're really finicky about?
Yep, you have to make a real point of looking over your shoulder. Sensible to do so anyway. Also make sure you come to a full stop before the stop line, then creep forward if you can't see. Beyond that, read the free driver handbook, either a hard copy from the DMV, or online.

Oh but be sure to learn your hand signals, i thought my mate was joking but looked them up just incase & sure enough i had to do them in the test!
Yep, it's one of the first things on their checklist, along with knowing where the headlights, indicators, horn, and emergency brake are.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Yep, you have to make a real point of looking over your shoulder. Sensible to do so anyway. Also make sure you come to a full stop before the stop line, then creep forward if you can't see. Beyond that, read the free driver handbook, either a hard copy from the DMV, or online.

Yep, it's one of the first things on their checklist, along with knowing where the headlights, indicators, horn, and emergency brake are.
and the rear window defrost button, hello socal, like you need it!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

You're right, it's on the list - but they didn't ask for it! Also a whole section on highway/freeway use, but in both cases it was crossed out, despite the test center being right next to a ramp of I-15 with two other exits within a mile.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GeoffM

Thanks for the pointers. I'll bear them in mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.