Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Old May 31st 2012, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Failed California Driving Test - Very Confused

Originally Posted by GeoffM
That's a new word on me - but "Foretell or prophesy (an event in the future)." doesn't seem right in this context! Procrastinated? I don't normally criticize, just interested in word of the day.

Just booked my test - today is Thursday and the earliest appointment is Monday in Victorville. Apparently Barstow and Fontana would have been quicker. All depends on the location I guess.
It is common in the US to use that word to refer to a the person that thinks and thinks and thinks about something before actually doing it. I belive it comes from one of it's meanings which is "forestall.
Old May 31st 2012, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Michael
It is common in the US to use that word to refer to a the person that thinks and thinks and thinks about something before actually doing it. I belive it comes from one of it's meanings which is "forestall.
One of the meanings of prognosticate is foretell...not forestall. Like a prophecy. I think you're looking for procrastinate? (Not trying to be irritating just joining the word of the day discussion!)

Thanks for the advice everyone - I was panicking about trying to get everything done before school starts but looks like I can calm down a bit!
Old May 31st 2012, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
One of the meanings of prognosticate is foretell...not forestall. Like a prophecy. I think you're looking for procrastinate? (Not trying to be irritating just joining the word of the day discussion!)

Thanks for the advice everyone - I was panicking about trying to get everything done before school starts but looks like I can calm down a bit!
You are right. I had a brain freeze.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If we are going to have a spelling bee competition I think you have to be Indian.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

So, AFTER I had been told I'd passed at the Los Gatos test centre (near San Jose, CA), I just dumbly said to the examiner:

"I bet you don't fail many people"

"Oh no !" she said. "Our failure rate here is around 64%..."

Not since I heard that anyone under the age of about 40 in Belgium has never had to take a driving test was my gob been so smacked......
Old Jun 1st 2012, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

They probably have a lot of Hispanic applicants.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Hispanic
I was told that it wasn't Hispanic that was the biggest problem, but another ethnic group.

Now, I hate racial stereotyping. I was watching "Indian Ocean" last night (Simon Reeve - EXCELLENT presenter - catch it on iPlayer if you can).

He was driving through eastern India on a new motorway, and it was obvious that they were clueless as to how to drive on a dual-carriageway - in fact pretty clueless as to how to drive at all.

Draw your own linkage here.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:06 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
If we are going to have a spelling bee competition I think you have to be Indian.
or be 6
Old Jun 1st 2012, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dlake02
I was told that it wasn't Hispanic that was the biggest problem, but another ethnic group.

Now, I hate racial stereotyping. I was watching "Indian Ocean" last night (Simon Reeve - EXCELLENT presenter - catch it on iPlayer if you can).

He was driving through eastern India on a new motorway, and it was obvious that they were clueless as to how to drive on a dual-carriageway - in fact pretty clueless as to how to drive at all.

Draw your own linkage here.
There was a
I hate racial stereotyping
guy I used to play Squash with in Boulder, he eventually had to take his UK test in an Automatic, but still failed the US test.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I so nearly mentioned her, but she did not win.

Reminds me of a film I watched years ago on the subject.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:03 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I so nearly mentioned her, but she did not win.

Reminds me of a film I watched years ago on the subject.
"Akeelah and the Bee" is the only one I can think of. I could only stomach about 15 minutes of it.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Well it was more of a vocabulary test really. What nationality do we need to be for that?
Old Jun 4th 2012, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Took my driving test today. Ashamed to say I only saw a pedestrian pop out of weaving through stopped cars, jaywalking right in front of me, right at the last minute - but apparently nearly running over pedestrians only counts as a minor issue. Maybe because of that my test was probably 15 minutes long on proper roads, left and right turns, reversing in a straight line, changing lanes, but really wasn't hard at all. Just need to watch for pedestrians no matter how silly they might be.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

Actually that would have been a bonus, Americans have an aversion to Pedestrians.

You never watched Death Race 2000.

As Hawkwind put it so well in Sonic Attack:

Use your wheels. It is what they are for.
Small babies may be placed inside the special cocoons
and should be left, if possible, in shelters.
Do not attempt to use your own limbs.
If no wheels are available - metal - not organic -
limbs should be employed whenever practical.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Malibu Jen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Took my driving test today. Ashamed to say I only saw a pedestrian pop out of weaving through stopped cars, jaywalking right in front of me, right at the last minute - but apparently nearly running over pedestrians only counts as a minor issue. Maybe because of that my test was probably 15 minutes long on proper roads, left and right turns, reversing in a straight line, changing lanes, but really wasn't hard at all. Just need to watch for pedestrians no matter how silly they might be.
Aw, i failed originally for nearly running a pedestrian over!

But fortunately i passed last Friday Finally no more trips to the DMV!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.