Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:41 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

Originally Posted by CarlM
I dont 'keep putting words in peoples mouths', I asked a question - You should try and read more carefully next time.

If its "wrong that people are being found guilty of something they didnt do, and are condemned for it" then how can the death penalty be justified? Its not a different issue, its the entire issue. If there was 100% guarantee everyone on death row was guilty then fair enough - but there can never be.
And again, thats why there is a death row. To allow for the "innocents" to appeal.

Incidently, the death penalty is not simply about punishment. Only a religious person would consider death a punishment since if there is no life after death how are you to know you are being punished? It is also about retribuition for the victims and society and to ensure that that particular criminal wont be furthering their career.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
It is also about retribuition for the victims and society and to ensure that that particular criminal wont be furthering their career.
Not that I don't think this person deserved the death penalty. But can't retribution, etc, be acheived by life in prison without parole?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:45 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont 'keep putting words in peoples mouths', I asked a question - You should try and read more carefully next time.

If its "wrong that people are being found guilty of something they didnt do, and are condemned for it" then how can the death penalty be justified? Its not a different issue, its the entire issue. If there was 100% guarantee everyone on death row was guilty then fair enough - but there can never be.

Aye cap'n One man's question is anothers putting words in their mouth

I have to disagree with all of that. Its like the gun control issue. Its not the gun (or the penalty) but the human "error" that needs to be eliminated.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Not that I don't think this person deserved the death penalty. But can't retribution, etc, be acheived by life in prison without parole?

Well that person still gets to live and experience things and learn and see his family, where as the victim stays dead. It doesnt seem like a fair swap to me.
I'm sure we'd all hate prison, but career criminals may adjust quite well and enjoy the free board and lodgings.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton

I have to disagree with all of that. Its like the gun control issue. Its not the gun (or the penalty) but the human "error" that needs to be eliminated.
But until we get a 100% correct conviction rate, shouldn't we withdraw the death penalty?

Although AWP does make the point tht these criminals aren't put to death the next day like some other countries.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Prison to you and me would not be the same experience it is to career criminals. In particular gang leaders and the ilk who tend to carry on business as usual with the added bonus of free board and lodgings and other "playthings" at their disposal.

It would be great of prison could be used to actually reform its inmates, however for some there is no chance of real reform no matter what show they put on. Like a caged animal is still wild at heart these people will always never have the same mental brakes we have.

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Dec 13th 2005 at 1:54 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:53 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Aye cap'n One man's question is anothers putting words in their mouth

Ok, me salty seaman(!), ill give you that..

The point you disagree with me on is actually the point that i was making - as long as there is human error (and there always will be), it cant be justified! Im not about to debate gun control with a Texan! :scared:
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:27 pm

Ok, me salty seaman(!), ill give you that..

The point you disagree with me on is actually the point that i was making - as long as there is human error (and there always will be), it cant be justified! Im not about to debate gun control with a Texan! :scared:

You take that "texan" crap back! I'm just passing through (thats what I keep telling myself).
I'd like to think we are clever enough to figure out a way of determining guilt without any doubt, especially where the death penalty is involved. What if it was only available in cases where there is some irrefutable evidence, like CCTV footage or a solid eyewitness? I see the points against, but I can't be comfortable with letting killers live.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
But until we get a 100% correct conviction rate, shouldn't we withdraw the death penalty?

Although AWP does make the point tht these criminals aren't put to death the next day like some other countries.
Beyond reasonable doubt.

Justice delayed is justice forgone.

Just wonder how much this 25 year charade cost? Must keep quite a few lawyers in the comfort they have grown accustomed to, or could have built a few hospitals.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:55 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
I wish people would get off their moral high-horses and spare a thought for these people rather than a killer that deserves all he gets.
Moral high horses are what are going to hopefully stop the abominable shame of wanting "permission" to torture prisoners under "exceptional circumstances."

There are several perspectives to any punishment: effect on victim and their family, effect on the "guilty" party, and effect on society. I know that many victims' families feel a sense of closure or justice after an execution, but many do not, and some have asked that their loved one's killer be spared execution.

Whose perspective comes first? If a victim's family asks that a killer's life be spared, shouldn't it be, if that's who we're executing the killer for?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Never was a chance that he would get clemency from Arnie, the Austrian prick is wanting to run for the whitehouse after all.

I for one hope they never change the law to allow him to do so, Austrians famously have a bad track record at running other countries. Not only that could you imagine some of the people on here who would run for President ?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:29 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I know that many victims' families feel a sense of closure or justice after an execution, but many do not, and some have asked that their loved one's killer be spared execution.
Not true of all in this case.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:31 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Never was a chance that he would get clemency from Arnie, the Austrian prick is wanting to run for the whitehouse after all.

I for one hope they never change the law to allow him to do so, Austrians famously have a bad track record at running other countries. Not only that could you imagine some of the people on here who would run for President ?
What's Arnie running for the whitehouse got to do with this ???

He applied the rules as they should have been applied, end of story. Why is there any need to turn this into a political or racial issue (though you are not guilty of the later) ??
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:37 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Not true of all in this case.
Well, that's always difficult in the case of a person who's committed more than one crime.

However, even in the case where there has been a single murder, and the victim's family has unanimously asked that the killer not be executed, the state will usually execute anyway, saying that it must protect society.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 3:39 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
However, even in the case where there has been a single murder, and the victim's family has unanimously asked that the killer not be executed, the state will usually execute anyway, saying that it must protect society.
And with that I couldn't agree more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.