Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

Old Dec 13th 2005, 4:45 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: execution of Stanley 'Tookie' Williams..

Originally Posted by Chorlton
The bible is a bit like statistics, you can use it to prove what you want. Having never looked at it outside school, I had to dig a little! Here's some apt quotes:
Just as Christians believe that Jesus' death removed the biblical commandment to offer burnt sacrifices, they also believe, as he explicitly stated, that nearly all of the "Old Testament" laws and rules no longer apply.

The Great Commandment is supreme and all other religious law follows from it.

http://www.commandmentbreakers.org/

pretty well sums up how I feel Bush and other death penalty supporters have defamed Christianity.

Last edited by snowbunny; Dec 13th 2005 at 4:47 am.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 6:33 am
me eds a shed

COWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Drugs, but does not say how they are being adminstered.
I don't think it will be "Three lines of Charlie "....snorted up a Dollar Bill .... Do you ...
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

They did it:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/13/wi...ion/index.html
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:12 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Good.

You know what's a shame? While this media circus has been going on, the victim's families always seem to be left out until last.

Half way down the story:

Before Williams went to the execution chamber, the stepmother of one of the men Williams was convicted of killing said she felt "justice is going to be done tonight."

I wish people would get off their moral high-horses and spare a thought for these people rather than a killer that deserves all he gets.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rincewind
Good.

You know what's a shame? While this media circus has been going on, the victim's families always seem to be left out until last.

Half way down the story:

Before Williams went to the execution chamber, the stepmother of one of the men Williams was convicted of killing said she felt "justice is going to be done tonight."

I wish people would get off their moral high-horses and spare a thought for these people rather than a killer that deserves all he gets.
Couldnt have put it better myself.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:32 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Couldnt have put it better myself.
I started this post to see peoples thoughts on this case because i couldnt come to a conclusion whether i thought the death penalty is right or wrong.. and i still cant.

The families of the victims of course want and deserve retribution. Im sure in that position i would too. But what of the families of the killer. How can you tell a 10 yr old kid "Your dad is going to die tonight!"? - I am aware the killer should have thought of this before he commits the crime, but ultimately he/she didnt.

With 130 people released from death row thru DNA testing thanks to 'the innocence project', what if just one person is executed in error? (I know followers of philosophers such as Mills would say 'for the greater good..' but what if the innocent person was someone from your family?). Im still undecided!
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:40 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
But what of the families of the killer. How can you tell a 10 yr old kid "Your dad is going to die tonight!"? - I am aware the killer should have thought of this before he commits the crime, but ultimately he/she didnt.
You tell them that your father is going to die tonight because he did something wrong. He killed an innocent person and the law here states that you are able to receive the death penalty for doing so. If you screw up too, the same thing will happen to you. Now stop crying and go to sleep.

How many more excuses are we going to come up with for murderers not to be punished?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:46 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

You tell them that your father is going to die tonight because he did something wrong. He killed an innocent person and the law here states that you are able to receive the death penalty for doing so. If you screw up too, the same thing will happen to you. Now stop crying and go to sleep.

How many more excuses are we going to come up with for murderers not to be punished?
Personally, i dont see it as simple as that. I agree they want punishing, and i think life without possibility of parole is punishment enough. I just feel that the death penalty punishes too far beyond just the criminal themselves..

And you comments didnt address the issue of the innocent on death row? Or are they all guaranteed guilty as hell?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, i dont see it as simple as that. I agree they want punishing, and i think life without possibility of parole is punishment enough. I just feel that the death penalty punishes too far beyond just the criminal themselves..

And you comments didnt address the issue of the innocent on death row? Or are they all guaranteed guilty as hell?
I share the same worry as you - that innocent people will be executed.

But, I think it should be kept for child and cop killers in cases when there is so much evidence you'd have to be crazy not to convict.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:20 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Drugs, but does not say how they are being adminstered.
Its actually 3 injections:
An anesthetic like sodium thiopental
A muscle relaxant like pancuronium bromide (had to look that one up!)
Then potassium chloride to finish the job
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:21 pm

Karma for thatone, mate.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:25 pm
strangely floppy..

Karma for thatone, mate.
..and to the kid who has an innocent dad on death row? We say the same thing?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:32 pm

..and to the kid who has an innocent dad on death row? We say the same thing?
You're going to piss people off if you keep putting words in their mouth. Of course its wrong that people are found guilty of something they didnt do and condemned to death for it. Thats a different issue. There is something wrong with the trial if an innocent man can be found guilty. It doesnt mean that guilty people should not be punished appropriately.
I'm sure the British death penalty was withdrawn in part because of the Bentley execution. Clearly, the police were thirsty for blood in that case. The people running the trial were at fault. That is what needed to be changed, not the penaltys available to the judge.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Which is why there are so many chances for retrials, appeals, clemency, etc and why someone can be on death row for 25 years and not simply "Taken from this court to a place of execution where ye shall be hung until dead".

Theres always the worry that an innocent can be caught up (in particular its the "it could be me" thought that concerns most people and not some altruistic feeling for others) which is why the death penalty is reserved for the most heinous cases and then only those in which there can be no reasonable doubt. And then not carried out for a long time after conviction.

Im sorry if this is a tough pill to swallow but someone like 'Tookie' can not be deserving of anything other than removal from the face of planet. I also sincerly doubt that after 25 years of incarceration he has any innocent young kids.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:37 pm
strangely floppy..

You're going to piss people off if you keep putting words in their mouth. Of course its wrong that people are found guilty of something they didnt do and condemned to death for it. Thats a different issue. There is something wrong with the trial if an innocent man can be found guilty. It doesnt mean that guilty people should not be punished appropriately.
I'm sure the British death penalty was withdrawn in part because of the Bentley execution. Clearly, the police were thirsty for blood in that case. The people running the trial were at fault. That is what needed to be changed, not the penaltys available to the judge.
I dont 'keep putting words in peoples mouths', I asked a question - You should try and read more carefully next time.

If its "wrong that people are being found guilty of something they didnt do, and are condemned for it" then how can the death penalty be justified? Its not a different issue, its the entire issue. If there was 100% guarantee everyone on death row was guilty then fair enough - but there can never be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.