Wikiposts

Ex-Pats TV

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

kerry151 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit tv

Minder, only fools and horses,In sickness and in health, warren mitchell was absolute genius.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 2:13 am
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

Originally posted by GJB
Agree with all the comments here.

Like others, I grow tired of the constant dross of Changing Rooms and Ground Force on BBCAmerica. I know the main aim is to attract ex-pats, but any American tuning in would watch for ten minutes, "love the accents", then get bored as shit and turn it off.
G- I think you may be a bit wrong about the popularity of both Changing Rooms *and* Ground Force on this side of the pond. Changing Rooms for one has spawned all sorts of US versions on TLC, and Ground Force America of course was filmed here in the US, and all those people who's yards/gardens they did over all seemed to be quite the regular GF watchers.

I don't like the constant repeats , but I must say its refreshing having both Charlie and Kirstie in prime time- no makeup, not "done up" like the US presenters... but geez, I'm sorry, but Charlie would look so much better if she'd just wear a bra! ;-)

That being said, I must say that I enjoy "Faking It" (which I first saw in the UK and was glad when they put it on over here), "What Not to Wear" (where's any new episodes?) and lately, "Cash in the Attic".

I wish they'd bring that show over (can't remember the name) where they take a president or ceo of a company and make them work in all aspects of the business for a week- ie. boardroom to loading trucks at 6am, that kind of thing.

And I always love the BBC costume dramas that they run a year or two later on PBS.

(I'm not the expat, btw, my husband is. although I was living over there briefly when we started dating)
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 2:44 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit tv

Originally posted by kerry151
In sickness and in health, warren mitchell was absolute genius.
Can't see Alf Garnett calling his home help a darkie on TV over here anytime soon.............
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 6:04 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ms_bhon
I wish they'd bring that show over (can't remember the name) where they take a president or ceo of a company and make them work in all aspects of the business for a week- ie. boardroom to loading trucks at 6am, that kind of thing.
It was called 'back to the floor' as in shop floor and it was very entertaining. I cant see it catching on here though no CEO would ever agree to be so accessible can you see the CEO of Walmart working on the shop floor? I am sure he would learn plenty though.

For a country that thinks its a grand meritocracy people like their privilaged positions a hell of a lot over here!

regards,

Duncan
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 7:33 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

but geez, I'm sorry, but Charlie would look so much better if she'd just wear a bra! ;-)
What and halve her viewing figures???
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 9:52 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

but geez, I'm sorry, but Charlie would look so much better if she'd just wear a bra! ;-)
No, no, no! That would defeat the whole object (and quite a lot of the fun )

Seriously, I actually adore Ground Force because they always look like they're having so much fun and it makes me laugh a lot. They were a brilliant team until Alan Titchmarsh left and it captures such a lovely English atmosphere and the great British sense of humour perfectly. I also enjoy Changing Rooms and any interior design program (gotta love that House Doctor) but I understand totally why it pisses people off. If it was a different program that was repeated constatnly that I didn't like it would annoy me too. More variety would be good. I would like to see more documentaries, like Panorama or World in Action. I miss the British perspective.

Last edited by Rockgurl; Jan 23rd 2004 at 9:55 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 10:37 am

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Duncs
It was called 'back to the floor' as in shop floor and it was very entertaining. I cant see it catching on here though no CEO would ever agree to be so accessible can you see the CEO of Walmart working on the shop floor? I am sure he would learn plenty though.

For a country that thinks its a grand meritocracy people like their privilaged positions a hell of a lot over here!
Thanks, Duncan... maybe they should at least run the UK version on BBCA. But I hear what you're saying about US big bosses- lemme tellya there are a few people *I'd* like to send "Back to the Floor!" Whether they'd be willing to go is a whole other story!

As far as Charlie- well, what can I say, I guess I just watch too much Trinny and Susanna...:lecture:
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 10:40 am

Default Trinny and Susanna

Y'know, the style mavens...
Attached Thumbnails Ex-Pats TV-trinny-susanna.jpg