What jobs?

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of
Default What jobs?

I'm curious to know what was the first job you got in the US? I get my work permit within a month, can't step into my English career without considerable re-training and am wondering what else to do.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:02 am
Franklin

Default Re: What jobs?

Originally posted by Dant3
I'm curious to know what was the first job you got in the US? I get my work permit within a month, can't step into my English career without considerable re-training and am wondering what else to do.
"Technical Assistant" (but quickly changed to "Law Clerk") with a law firm on the "magnificent mile" in Chicago. It was such a change, from a drab desk in multi-shared room in the UK to my own office facing the lake (Lake Michigan). The view was stunning. Such an incredible change of fortunes. Everyone was very welcoming and that helped because I got strangely homesick. Not the first time I was out of the country, but this time I knew it was for keeps which made a huge difference. I was settling and making a new life in a country that was not my own. Bit of a traumatic shift and took some getting use to I can tell ya. But the job was great and I fell in love with Chicago. Still miss Chicago. Greatest city on earth, imho.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Jan 23rd 2004 at 12:45 am.

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:21 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

HR Administrator on a temp to perm basis, I find out at the end of this month if they can 'create' a decent position for me. I was working in Production / Logistics in the UK but without a degree I didn't stand a chance over here, especially in this area and in the current job market.
I had to make a big career change too!
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 1:33 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst looking for a job in my field (civil engineering) I worked for a few months as a tour guide at the Intrepid sea-air-space museum in New York. Crap pay but great fun. I patrolled the bridge answering visitors' questions, gave occasional tours below decks on the destroyer USS Edson, and got to meet some interesting people (and a few wierdos). I still go back once a month or so as a volunteer tour guide, when my wife has to work weekends.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 1:54 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Pool boy.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 2:29 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dunroving
Pool boy.
Was that your actual job or were you róle playing with the missus ?

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 4:16 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

My first job is the job I have now...ICU nurse. I've been there for 4 weeks and I hated it at first but I am slowly beginning to really enjoy it. I think it was just so different from my last nursing position in England. This week was my first week off orientation and things are already looking up. Just this week alone I earned $1400 and today I bought a brand new car! Can't be bad!
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
Was that your actual job or were you róle playing with the missus ?

Depends - if she paid me, does that count as a job?
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Womans shoe salesman. i have a job interview in an hour for a real job though! fingers crossed
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
Womans shoe salesman. i have a job interview in an hour for a real job though! fingers crossed
I hope the interview's not with the winter weather "cleansing team".? i.e. snowmobile driver or snow shoveller. How cold is it in Rocky River today? Tell me in terms of how long you can stay outside. No more than 10 mins?

NC Penguin
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 3:34 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
Womans shoe salesman.

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 3:45 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dant3
I think it's kind of daft that you're asking complete strangers what you should be doing?

Surely if you want to know what jobs you can do, you're the best judge of that?

i.e. what transferable skills do you have that would fit in another career/industry? what are you interested in? There's no point doing a job that pays plenty but you have virtually no job satisfaction.

Also, if you're open to ideas, you should research in the geographical area you live to find out what are the major industries and who are the major employers. Also, you need to keep in mind who's hiring.

NC Penguin
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 7:03 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I think it's kind of daft that you're asking complete strangers what you should be doing?

Surely if you want to know what jobs you can do, you're the best judge of that?

i.e. what transferable skills do you have that would fit in another career/industry? what are you interested in? There's no point doing a job that pays plenty but you have virtually no job satisfaction.

Also, if you're open to ideas, you should research in the geographical area you live to find out what are the major industries and who are the major employers. Also, you need to keep in mind who's hiring.

NC Penguin
Maybe he should get a job in market research - he has a nack for it...
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

4 hours at 7 Eleven !!!! (say no more)
9 months at Walmart (marginally better)
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

mclemony is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What jobs

Originally posted by Rockgurl
My first job is the job I have now...ICU nurse. I've been there for 4 weeks and I hated it at first but I am slowly beginning to really enjoy it. I think it was just so different from my last nursing position in England. This week was my first week off orientation and things are already looking up. Just this week alone I earned $1400 and today I bought a brand new car! Can't be bad!

Rockgurl
is that with OT, what shift patterns are you working out of interest. Oh and I am an ICU nurse as well not sure I mentioned that before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.