Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emergency Medicaid

Emergency Medicaid

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency Medicaid

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The OP is presumably saving/budgeting for a normal birth - but what if .....?
Presumably, the baby being a USC, would be covered for medicaid, and/or would be able to get insurance to kick in from birth, for the child at least.

Anything happens to the mother though could be horrendously expensive, especially a few nights in hospital and/or need of N/ICU.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ponker
We have tried to get individual health insurance for my husband and son, but nobody will touch them. We have tried numerous brokers too, and they all say the same thing. Apparently, my pregnancy is considered a pre existing condition for them even though I would not be on the policy... doesn't make sense to us, but every insurance company says the same thing....

Thanks for replys
This does not make sense to me. On an individual and/or family policy you can state which members of the family you want covered. Therefore, if your husband were to include himself and your son then that is whom the insurance company will consider for cover. If YOU are not stated on the application form then you will not come in for consideration and will have no affect on your family's application.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
This does not make sense to me. On an individual and/or family policy you can state which members of the family you want covered. Therefore, if your husband were to include himself and your son then that is whom the insurance company will consider for cover. If YOU are not stated on the application form then you will not come in for consideration and will have no affect on your family's application.
Profuse apologies to the OP, as my statement above is completely wrong.

Having done some further research it would appear that many, if not most, new individual health policies will not be granted to men and/or children whose partners are already pregnant! This is apparently due to the following rule:-

"a newborn is technically covered under both the mother’s insurance and the father’s insurance for the first 31 days of his or her life"

Therefore if the potential dad is provided with a policy, any problems with the newborn could make his policy liable for the costs.

So something else we have learnt today ... even men and children get denied insurance cover if the female partner is already pregnant.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
If I was in the OP's shoes I'd move back to England and walk away from the emergency room debt, especially if I had assets/income. That way at least they're going to have access to healthcare for their family as opposed to the problematic situation they are in here.
Yes, I think that the OP should seriously consider that option.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 3:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
That's what i was wondering too.

If I was in the OP's shoes I'd move back to England and walk away from the emergency room debt, especially if I had assets/income. That way at least they're going to have access to healthcare for their family as opposed to the problematic situation they are in here.
+2 or am I 3?
Run, do not walk to the nearest exit and have the baby back home.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

The expression to 'fall' pregnant is a common UK expression or at least I thought it was.

A friend of mine got pregnant who didn't have any insurance and she was able to arrange reasonably cheap ante natal/birth care from a Catholic charity I think it was. There are places that help expectant mothers with no insurance if you look around. This was New York though so obviously there would be more organisations there than in most cities/towns.