Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida fact-finding tour

Florida fact-finding tour

Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Joyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really nice
Default Florida fact-finding tour

Hello all,

I'm planning to spend 3 months in Florida from March 2012 on what will be a combination of fact-finding tour/property search/vacation. Like most people, I know Orlando and environs from past holidays but I would also like to explore northern and southern Florida. Are there areas I should avoid, for example?

I'm doing online research and wondered if people on here could recommend any useful websites or realtors or, indeed, offer any useful hints/tips....

For example, is there an organisation which advises British people on how to best go about such an undertaking? Please PM me if you can help. Thanks.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

Originally Posted by Joyeuse
Hello all,

I'm planning to spend 3 months in Florida from March 2012 on what will be a combination of fact-finding tour/property search/vacation. Like most people, I know Orlando and environs from past holidays but I would also like to explore northern and southern Florida. Are there areas I should avoid, for example?

I'm doing online research and wondered if people on here could recommend any useful websites or realtors or, indeed, offer any useful hints/tips....

For example, is there an organisation which advises British people on how to best go about such an undertaking? Please PM me if you can help. Thanks.

What is your visa status? Why buy when you can rent? Have you fully planned your exit strategy?
Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I would also like to explore northern and southern Florida.
So, you've given up on France then?

Ian
Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Joyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really nice

I'm not emigrating to the USA - I am looking to buy a property if I should find the right place hence the 3 month fact-finding tour. If all goes to plan, I would like to stay in Florida for up to 6 months each year.

One of my ideas at the moment is to stay one month in the St Augustine area, a month in central Florida and then a month in Southern Florida...I'm presuming that I'll be able to hire a car with a UK licence for that length of time?
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Are there areas I should avoid, for example
From what I've heard, Florida.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not emigrating to the USA - I am looking to buy a property if I should find the right place hence the 3 month fact-finding tour. If all goes to plan, I would like to stay in Florida for up to 6 months each year.
The question will be asked again, what is your visa status? Do you have a B2 already or are you of retirement age?
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

North cooler and cheaper
south hotter and more expensive

if you buying as an investment dont bother
dont buy condos

there is around 100K realtor ready and will to to help you part with your money
count your finger if they shake your hand

do your own research dont take realtor advice

Last edited by Ray; Oct 31st 2011 at 6:36 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

And your exit strategy?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:14 pm
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

And what are you going to do if you are refused entry to the US? It happens more often than you think. Even if you have a Visa. Also have you looked at visas yet? You may need a B2 just to get to the US and you may be refused a visa which means that you can not even check in for your flight because you do not have the documents you need to come here. If you do get your visa and you get to your final destination it is then up to the POE officer to let you into the country and let me tell you POE officers are not going to be nice to you. It is not there job to be nice to you. It is there job to see that you are sensible to enter the country or not and that you are going to leave when you say you are and that you are not going to over stay. Not to be nice. You really need to think about all this while you are planning your trip. If you do come and you are successful in entering the nation than I hope that you have a good time here and keep your self safe.

Last edited by KetteringEnglandRocks2005; Nov 1st 2011 at 8:21 pm. Reason: Saying that the OP may be refused a visa to come to the US.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

stevebar is an unknown quantity at this point

Ozzidoc : what is her visa status ! read the post she has been to America so obviously would have a 90 day visa minimum, she is in her early 50's give her some credit, a ninety day VWP is ample to give a total of 6 months in the US over a year. There is no need for a B2 unless you want to stay 6 month's solid, so why have you all got a hang up on it.

Why buy when you can rent!! Why rent if you can buy...DOH.. so you don't throw your money away,,HUH.

A fully planned exit strategy..it's only the US, she's not planning " DESERT STORM".LMFAO.

Ian-mstn : What's wrong with owning a number of properties around the globe?

Duncan Roberts : " from what youv'e heard" suggest you don't listen to hearsay and visit yourself then give a creditable opinion ( that is what she is asking for) not shallow sarcasm.

Sir-eccles : see above.. maybe a Sir should treat a 50 yr old Lady with respect and stop answering her query with another pointless question.

KetheringEnglandRocks : I think she may be getting to know that every one on this site is a visa expert by now...yawn...is someone gonna help her and give a decent reply.

Oh the light bulb just started glowing...maybe none of you have ever actually been to Florida...maybe your all just spend your time on a web page conjuring up sarcastic replies..mmmDOH..LOL.

Last edited by stevebar; Nov 1st 2011 at 10:28 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:59 pm
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by stevebar
Ozzidoc : what is her visa status ! read the post she has been to America so obviously would have a 90 day visa minimum, she is in her early 50's give her some credit, a ninety day VWP is ample to give a total of 6 months in the US over a year. There is no need for a B2 unless you want to stay 6 month's solid, so why have you all got a hang up on it.

Why buy when you can rent!! Why rent if you can buy...DOH.. so you don't throw your money away,,HUH.

A fully planned exit strategy..it's only the US, she's not planning " DESERT STORM".LMFAO.

Ian-mstn : What's wrong with owning a number of properties around the globe?

Duncan Roberts : " from what youv'e heard" suggest you don't listen to hearsay and visit yourself then give a creditable opinion ( that is what she is asking for) not shallow sarcasm.

Sir-eccles : see above.. maybe a Sir should treat a 50 yr old Lady with respect and stop answering her query with another pointless question.

KetheringEnglandRocks : I think she may be getting to know that every one on this site is a visa expert by now...yawn...is someone gonna help her and give a decent reply.

Oh the light bulb just started glowing...maybe none of you have ever actually been to Florida...maybe your all just spend your time on a web page conjuring up sarcastic replies..mmmDOH..LOL.
We are just giving her the heads up about what to expect. If she is coming to the states with a british passport for less than 90 days she does not need a visa. I know that. But you do not want to be coming here on the VWP to many times in a single year. CPB does not really like that. Try to put your self in the POEs shoes. Oh we are not being sarcastic we are just trying to help. How about you helping the OP since Me, Ozzidoc, Ian-mstn, Duncan Roberts, and Sir-eccles obviously can't help her. I would suggest that everyone just lay of the visa talk and really help the OP.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:04 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

From what the OP has said so far, it looks as though they intend to try and LIVE in the US for half a year, obviously they can't do that on VWP, hence the enquries about visas etc.

It won't take many entries to the US before the truth comes to light, the OP will face a ban from the US, and may be stuck with a property they are unable to visit.

Stop getting your knickers in a twist, everyone who has commented so far (other than you) is trying to bring these facts to the OP's attention.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Emphasis mine

One is generally recommended to spend more time out than in, spending 6 months in one year is pushing it. Likely scenario is the POE officer pulling you to one side and asking you why you are in the country so much. He may consider you are trying to de facto live here without a visa. When he finds out you own property here, it tends to count against you in that matter. What do you do with property you own in a foreign country when you are banned from entering said country.

I did answer her question, I gave her a useful tip that it might be a good idea to settle any questions with regard to visa eligibility before anything else.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, there's not much experience at all on this forum at all. Couple of posters from Basildon sit in their hanging gardens penning the vast majority of the replies. What gave it away?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

stevebar is an unknown quantity at this point

I Don't wear knickers nor twisted one's.

Not one of these people is bringing any thing of merit to her attention, you are all making assumptions ( and it is not they..she only mentions herself..I believe she is or has just gone through a separation).

She does not say she want's to live in the US ANYWHERE. You all make the assumption she does and do not actually help or answer her question at all.

Do you regularly travel back and forth on the visa waiver and get hassle each time or are you perpetuating what so many people say on this forum without actually having any factual first hand basis for what you say?

If she intends to spend 6 month's in the US over a year in a vacation home or rental she can on her Brit passport/VWP. As I said before treat her with respect it doesn.t need every one of you to get your panties in a twist yet again and keep bringing the same irrelevant bumf to her attention eh ljaw2002uk!!

Nice tip Sir eccles,I agree slightly ( but only once she's only 50 and dementia's probably not set in yet),but I don't think she meant about Visa's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.