Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida fact-finding tour

Florida fact-finding tour

Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:27 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Joyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really nice
Default Florida fact-finding tour

Hello all,

I'm planning to spend 3 months in Florida from March 2012 on what will be a combination of fact-finding tour/property search/vacation. Like most people, I know Orlando and environs from past holidays but I would also like to explore northern and southern Florida. Are there areas I should avoid, for example?

I'm doing online research and wondered if people on here could recommend any useful websites or realtors or, indeed, offer any useful hints/tips....

For example, is there an organisation which advises British people on how to best go about such an undertaking? Please PM me if you can help. Thanks.
Joyeuse is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:42 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Oz -> UK -> San Diego
Posts: 9,909
Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

Originally Posted by Joyeuse View Post
Hello all,

I'm planning to spend 3 months in Florida from March 2012 on what will be a combination of fact-finding tour/property search/vacation. Like most people, I know Orlando and environs from past holidays but I would also like to explore northern and southern Florida. Are there areas I should avoid, for example?

I'm doing online research and wondered if people on here could recommend any useful websites or realtors or, indeed, offer any useful hints/tips....

For example, is there an organisation which advises British people on how to best go about such an undertaking? Please PM me if you can help. Thanks.

What is your visa status? Why buy when you can rent? Have you fully planned your exit strategy?
Ozzidoc is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:48 pm
  #3  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 38,867
ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

Originally Posted by Joyeuse View Post
I would also like to explore northern and southern Florida.
So, you've given up on France then?

Ian
ian-mstm is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2011, 12:54 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Joyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really niceJoyeuse is just really nice
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

I'm not emigrating to the USA - I am looking to buy a property if I should find the right place hence the 3 month fact-finding tour. If all goes to plan, I would like to stay in Florida for up to 6 months each year.

One of my ideas at the moment is to stay one month in the St Augustine area, a month in central Florida and then a month in Southern Florida...I'm presuming that I'll be able to hire a car with a UK licence for that length of time?
Joyeuse is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:11 pm
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Duncan Roberts's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Avon Lake, OH
Posts: 5,270
Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

Originally Posted by Joyeuse View Post
Are there areas I should avoid, for example
From what I've heard, Florida.
Duncan Roberts is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:06 pm
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
sir_eccles's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,106
sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

Originally Posted by Joyeuse View Post
I'm not emigrating to the USA - I am looking to buy a property if I should find the right place hence the 3 month fact-finding tour. If all goes to plan, I would like to stay in Florida for up to 6 months each year.
The question will be asked again, what is your visa status? Do you have a B2 already or are you of retirement age?
sir_eccles is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:34 pm
  #7  
Ray
 
Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 68,280
Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

North cooler and cheaper
south hotter and more expensive

if you buying as an investment dont bother
dont buy condos

there is around 100K realtor ready and will to to help you part with your money
count your finger if they shake your hand

do your own research dont take realtor advice

Last edited by Ray; Oct 31st 2011 at 6:36 pm.
Ray is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:39 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Oz -> UK -> San Diego
Posts: 9,909
Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

And your exit strategy?
Ozzidoc is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:14 pm
  #9  
Too young for BE
 
KetteringEnglandRocks2005's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Sunnyvale CA USA
Posts: 295
KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

And what are you going to do if you are refused entry to the US? It happens more often than you think. Even if you have a Visa. Also have you looked at visas yet? You may need a B2 just to get to the US and you may be refused a visa which means that you can not even check in for your flight because you do not have the documents you need to come here. If you do get your visa and you get to your final destination it is then up to the POE officer to let you into the country and let me tell you POE officers are not going to be nice to you. It is not there job to be nice to you. It is there job to see that you are sensible to enter the country or not and that you are going to leave when you say you are and that you are not going to over stay. Not to be nice. You really need to think about all this while you are planning your trip. If you do come and you are successful in entering the nation than I hope that you have a good time here and keep your self safe.

Last edited by KetteringEnglandRocks2005; Nov 1st 2011 at 8:21 pm. Reason: Saying that the OP may be refused a visa to come to the US.
KetteringEnglandRocks2005 is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:26 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 12
stevebar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

Ozzidoc : what is her visa status ! read the post she has been to America so obviously would have a 90 day visa minimum, she is in her early 50's give her some credit, a ninety day VWP is ample to give a total of 6 months in the US over a year. There is no need for a B2 unless you want to stay 6 month's solid, so why have you all got a hang up on it.

Why buy when you can rent!! Why rent if you can buy...DOH.. so you don't throw your money away,,HUH.

A fully planned exit strategy..it's only the US, she's not planning " DESERT STORM".LMFAO.

Ian-mstn : What's wrong with owning a number of properties around the globe?

Duncan Roberts : " from what youv'e heard" suggest you don't listen to hearsay and visit yourself then give a creditable opinion ( that is what she is asking for) not shallow sarcasm.

Sir-eccles : see above.. maybe a Sir should treat a 50 yr old Lady with respect and stop answering her query with another pointless question.

KetheringEnglandRocks : I think she may be getting to know that every one on this site is a visa expert by now...yawn...is someone gonna help her and give a decent reply.

Oh the light bulb just started glowing...maybe none of you have ever actually been to Florida...maybe your all just spend your time on a web page conjuring up sarcastic replies..mmmDOH..LOL.

Last edited by stevebar; Nov 1st 2011 at 10:28 pm.
stevebar is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:59 pm
  #11  
Too young for BE
 
KetteringEnglandRocks2005's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Sunnyvale CA USA
Posts: 295
KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

Originally Posted by stevebar View Post
Ozzidoc : what is her visa status ! read the post she has been to America so obviously would have a 90 day visa minimum, she is in her early 50's give her some credit, a ninety day VWP is ample to give a total of 6 months in the US over a year. There is no need for a B2 unless you want to stay 6 month's solid, so why have you all got a hang up on it.

Why buy when you can rent!! Why rent if you can buy...DOH.. so you don't throw your money away,,HUH.

A fully planned exit strategy..it's only the US, she's not planning " DESERT STORM".LMFAO.

Ian-mstn : What's wrong with owning a number of properties around the globe?

Duncan Roberts : " from what youv'e heard" suggest you don't listen to hearsay and visit yourself then give a creditable opinion ( that is what she is asking for) not shallow sarcasm.

Sir-eccles : see above.. maybe a Sir should treat a 50 yr old Lady with respect and stop answering her query with another pointless question.

KetheringEnglandRocks : I think she may be getting to know that every one on this site is a visa expert by now...yawn...is someone gonna help her and give a decent reply.

Oh the light bulb just started glowing...maybe none of you have ever actually been to Florida...maybe your all just spend your time on a web page conjuring up sarcastic replies..mmmDOH..LOL.
We are just giving her the heads up about what to expect. If she is coming to the states with a british passport for less than 90 days she does not need a visa. I know that. But you do not want to be coming here on the VWP to many times in a single year. CPB does not really like that. Try to put your self in the POEs shoes. Oh we are not being sarcastic we are just trying to help. How about you helping the OP since Me, Ozzidoc, Ian-mstn, Duncan Roberts, and Sir-eccles obviously can't help her. I would suggest that everyone just lay of the visa talk and really help the OP.
KetteringEnglandRocks2005 is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:04 pm
  #12  
Yes, I know i'm awesome.
 
ljaw2002uk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 624
ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

Originally Posted by stevebar View Post
Ozzidoc : what is her visa status ! read the post she has been to America so obviously would have a 90 day visa minimum, she is in her early 50's give her some credit, a ninety day VWP is ample to give a total of 6 months in the US over a year. There is no need for a B2 unless you want to stay 6 month's solid, so why have you all got a hang up on it.
From what the OP has said so far, it looks as though they intend to try and LIVE in the US for half a year, obviously they can't do that on VWP, hence the enquries about visas etc.

It won't take many entries to the US before the truth comes to light, the OP will face a ban from the US, and may be stuck with a property they are unable to visit.

Stop getting your knickers in a twist, everyone who has commented so far (other than you) is trying to bring these facts to the OP's attention.
ljaw2002uk is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:11 pm
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
sir_eccles's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,106
sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

Originally Posted by Joyeuse View Post
I'm doing online research and wondered if people on here could recommend any useful websites or realtors or, indeed, offer any useful hints/tips....
Emphasis mine

Originally Posted by stevebar View Post
Ozzidoc : what is her visa status ! read the post she has been to America so obviously would have a 90 day visa minimum, she is in her early 50's give her some credit, a ninety day VWP is ample to give a total of 6 months in the US over a year. There is no need for a B2 unless you want to stay 6 month's solid, so why have you all got a hang up on it.
One is generally recommended to spend more time out than in, spending 6 months in one year is pushing it. Likely scenario is the POE officer pulling you to one side and asking you why you are in the country so much. He may consider you are trying to de facto live here without a visa. When he finds out you own property here, it tends to count against you in that matter. What do you do with property you own in a foreign country when you are banned from entering said country.

Sir-eccles : see above.. maybe a Sir should treat a 50 yr old Lady with respect and stop answering her query with another pointless question.
I did answer her question, I gave her a useful tip that it might be a good idea to settle any questions with regard to visa eligibility before anything else.
sir_eccles is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:23 pm
  #14  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

Originally Posted by stevebar View Post
Oh the light bulb just started glowing...maybe none of you have ever actually been to Florida...maybe your all just spend your time on a web page conjuring up sarcastic replies..mmmDOH..LOL.
Nah, there's not much experience at all on this forum at all. Couple of posters from Basildon sit in their hanging gardens penning the vast majority of the replies. What gave it away?
fatbrit is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:29 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 12
stevebar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Florida fact-finding tour

I Don't wear knickers nor twisted one's.


Not one of these people is bringing any thing of merit to her attention, you are all making assumptions ( and it is not they..she only mentions herself..I believe she is or has just gone through a separation).

She does not say she want's to live in the US ANYWHERE. You all make the assumption she does and do not actually help or answer her question at all.

Do you regularly travel back and forth on the visa waiver and get hassle each time or are you perpetuating what so many people say on this forum without actually having any factual first hand basis for what you say?

If she intends to spend 6 month's in the US over a year in a vacation home or rental she can on her Brit passport/VWP. As I said before treat her with respect it doesn.t need every one of you to get your panties in a twist yet again and keep bringing the same irrelevant bumf to her attention eh ljaw2002uk!!

Nice tip Sir eccles,I agree slightly ( but only once she's only 50 and dementia's probably not set in yet),but I don't think she meant about Visa's.
stevebar is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.