Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Emergency Medicaid

Emergency Medicaid

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Ponker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emergency Medicaid

My husband, son and myself have been in the US for 6 months, and I fell pregnant almost as soon as we got here, and we were fully aware that I would not be able to get any cover, so will be paying for pregnancy and birth out of pocket.

Unfortunately, because I am pregnant, it means that neither my son or husband can get any health insurance until I have given birth (crazy huh?!)

So, of course, sods law has it that my son was taken to ER last week and was admitted for the night.... And we are now faced with a $9k bill (so far!)

Does anybody know if we would be able to apply for Emergency Medicaid? We are low income at present, especially after having to find the money to cover maternity bills. We are over here on my husband's O1 visa.

Any help or advice is greatly accepted.

Many thanks
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:41 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency Medicaid

What state do you live in?

Generally Medicaid is not available to immigrants until after a five year wait, but some states make exceptions. For example, in some states you can qualify for assistance if you are pregnant, but it depends entirely upon what that state offers.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:50 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ponker
My husband, son and myself have been in the US for 6 months, and I fell pregnant almost as soon as we got here, and we were fully aware that I would not be able to get any cover, so will be paying for pregnancy and birth out of pocket.

Unfortunately, because I am pregnant, it means that neither my son or husband can get any health insurance until I have given birth (crazy huh?!)

So, of course, sods law has it that my son was taken to ER last week and was admitted for the night.... And we are now faced with a $9k bill (so far!)

Does anybody know if we would be able to apply for Emergency Medicaid? We are low income at present, especially after having to find the money to cover maternity bills. We are over here on my husband's O1 visa.

Any help or advice is greatly accepted.

Many thanks
Ist if you have nothing you can't give it to them, I knew a guy that had $36,000 owing for a medical bill they excepted $3,000 rather then nothing, so barter with them!

Catholic Charities will be able to advice you they are wonderful in this kind of situation!

Not sure if this would make any difference but sure some kind soul will spaek up...is your hubs an American!!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:54 am
Just Joined

We are in Florida. It's not the pregnancy that we want help with it's the help with the ER bill for my son (I only put in about the pregnancy to explain why we don't have cover!)
I read somewhere that Emergency Medicaid has different stipulations to normal Medicaid?

We are all English!

Thanks
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:56 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Florida. It's not the pregnancy that we want help with it's the help with the ER bill for my son (I only put in about the pregnancy to explain why we don't have cover!)
I read somewhere that Emergency Medicaid has different stipulations to normal Medicaid?

We are all English!

Thanks
Like I said tell them the situation and get the rate down it cannot hurt to call them!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks, I will call them and see what they say!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:02 am

Thanks, I will call them and see what they say!
Play it up
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

See the following article. Florida law may be different.

http://211ct.org/informationlibrary/...20Medicaid.asp

Also for emergency medicaid, the sponsor is not liable and the government will not pursue him/her for repayment.

Last edited by Michael; Nov 2nd 2011 at 2:45 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What does you being pregnant have to do with your husband and son not being able to get health insurance?

Why can't your husband apply for individual health insurance for himself and your son?

My husband and I have separate individual health insurance policies due to my health issues.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:53 am
Just Joined

We have tried to get individual health insurance for my husband and son, but nobody will touch them. We have tried numerous brokers too, and they all say the same thing. Apparently, my pregnancy is considered a pre existing condition for them even though I would not be on the policy... doesn't make sense to us, but every insurance company says the same thing....

Thanks for replys
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We have tried to get individual health insurance for my husband and son, but nobody will touch them. We have tried numerous brokers too, and they all say the same thing. Apparently, my pregnancy is considered a pre existing condition for them even though I would not be on the policy... doesn't make sense to us, but every insurance company says the same thing....

Thanks for replys
Then simply don't mention you at all on the application form. Apply for insurance for your husband and son ONLY with no mention of you at all.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 12:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I find your post hard to believe. If your husband has employer sponsored healthcare, your husband and child can be covered, as can you, although they might not cover the cost of your pre-existing pregnancy.

Even private healthcare insurance can be obtained for your family, perhaps with you as an exclusion until the pregnancy is over.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Rete, believe me I have tried every avenue to get healthcare for my family and NOBODY will touch us because I am pregnant. it is considered a pre existing for my hubby and son as I mentioned before.

And my husband does not have employee healthcare - if he did, then I wouldn't be writing this post in the first place.......!!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Rete, believe me I have tried every avenue to get healthcare for my family and NOBODY will touch us because I am pregnant. it is considered a pre existing for my hubby and son as I mentioned before.
I think this is all moot... since I'm pretty sure you can't get insurance to cover you retroactively for an incident (read = your son in ER) that's already happened. This is different from a "pre-existing" condition that prevents you from getting insurance from this point forward.

In other words, you need help to pay those bills rather than try to find a way to be covered retroactively.

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

bilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to beholdbilbos92 is a splendid one to behold

My Oh has been having health issues recently and i have been sructinising the insurance invoices we have received.

What astounded me was the "discount" given to the insurance company - one blood test started off at over $900. The insurance "discount" was $750. Our porton was around $5. so for a $900 blood test our insurance company actually paid $145......if we had not had insurance - that full $900 bill would have come to us.......

Ask around, friends, family, work collegues and arm yourself with the knowledge of how much each portion of your sons care cost..( e.g. xray, night in bed, pain pills,) break it down...and then - ask for the same discount as the insurance companies get...then make a payment plan.

You won't get away with paying nothing, but then even with insurance there would be a bill to pay.
Good Luck and hope your son is okay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.