Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Electrical appliances

Electrical appliances

Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical appliances

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
I would think that the voltage would be the easy part to deal with. My concern would be if you would get a picture with the console. In the Uk the tv's work with PAL and in the US they work on Secam (Imay have it reound the wrong way,but it makes no differance). In simple terms the number of pixels (what makes up the picture) is different from the UK so I am really unsure if it would work.
Us is ntsc, your thinking of france with secam
Old Sep 29th 2004, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
would think that the voltage would be the easy part to deal with.
It is.

My concern would be if you would get a picture with the console. In the Uk the tv's work with PAL and in the US they work on Secam (Imay have it reound the wrong way,but it makes no differance). In simple terms the number of pixels (what makes up the picture) is different from the UK so I am really unsure if it would work
UK is 625 lines, system I , PAL.
US is 525 lines, system M NTSC.

Many modern UK sets will accept a 525/NTSC signal on the direct video inputs, but uinfortunately the converse is not true for American TVs with a 625/PAL input.

Digital games consoles may well be able to be reprogrammed to output their video in a different format, but as I'm not familiar with all the different units I can't be specific.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 3:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PBC_1966
Digital games consoles may well be able to be reprogrammed to output their video in a different format, but as I'm not familiar with all the different units I can't be specific.
Often more pain and cost than being worth it, cheaper to get a new one.
Though can get decent pal/ntsc convertors, but likewise, decent ones aren't cheap.