Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Electrical appliances

Electrical appliances

Old Sep 23rd 2004, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical appliances

Originally Posted by Bob
Wait till the summer and get the new ps3 or xbox2

LMAO - man you need to re read those rumour sites.

I can confirm that neither Xbox2 nor PS3 will be out next summer, trust me on this.. I have an XBOX 2 devkit on my desk right now... the production unit is supposed to be out by next xmas BUT its not confirmed by any means... PS3 .. thats WAYYYYYYY off in the future mid to late 2006 is the current estimation.

Think of it this way, a game takes 18months to 2 years to write when you KNOW what you're doing. When you don't... LONGER still... no one has Ps3 devkits yet, and trust me I'm at one of those companies who WILL get them first, so from here you're looking at 2 years.

A
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 6:20 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by USBound

I can confirm that neither Xbox2 nor PS3 will be out next summer, trust me on this.. I have an XBOX 2 devkit on my desk right now... the production unit is supposed to be out by next xmas BUT its not confirmed by any means... PS3 .. thats WAYYYYYYY off in the future mid to late 2006 is the current estimation.

Think of it this way, a game takes 18months to 2 years to write when you KNOW what you're doing. When you don't... LONGER still... no one has Ps3 devkits yet, and trust me I'm at one of those companies who WILL get them first, so from here you're looking at 2 years.

A

Balls, that's ruined the dream for me
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 6:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I said xbox next summer...
as for ps3, it might happen if the xbox is on time, small chance i know...
and I know how long games take to make too...been there and had mine shelved *l*
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 6:27 pm
~ Relocated to Texas ~

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
They're the little things you put your cans or bottles of beer in to keep them cold while you're drinking them.
Thanks for the info sibsie. I've ben using them, I love them too! Nothing like the last bit of your can staying cold! And now I know what they're called!

Have a karma!
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 8:25 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
I said xbox next summer...
as for ps3, it might happen if the xbox is on time, small chance i know...
and I know how long games take to make too...been there and had mine shelved *l*
You were a game designer? How come it got shelved, that sucks.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 9:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatman
You were a game designer? How come it got shelved, that sucks.
naaa...artist, and the game gold shelved cos the greedy bastards had a deal lined up with Microsoft, but started talking to Virgin for a better deal, when they both heard the other was in talks, they both said bug off...
shame cos was in the works for 18 months, another 6 would have finished it, not that it was a great game,but nice roll play to it
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 11:25 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatman
Okay I was wondering if anyone could help me (again) despite my girlfriend trying to get me to sell my playstation before I moved, my brother begging me to just let him have it. I stubbornly held on to it and brought it here (I also need something that will play my collection of English DVD's). However getting some sort of English to American socket adapter that would let me plug it in seems to be very hard, has anyone else had this problem. perhaps they couldn't bear to part with their favourite hairdryer or something, if so what did you do?. Would you need to buy some sort of appliance that adjusts voltage or whatnot.

also, has anyone noticed that American pints are smaller than English ones?
I'd sell the playstation or give it to your brother and buy one of the new slim-line PS2s.

Old Sep 23rd 2004, 11:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by rincewind
I'd sell the playstation or give it to your brother and buy one of the new slim-line PS2s.
Yeah, those new one's are pretty sweet
Not badly prices either..
Old Sep 24th 2004, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind

You could allways donate it to the Honeymommy's kids got no playstation home...... They pay the postage.... LOL

Cheeky or what.....
Old Sep 24th 2004, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeymommy
You could allways donate it to the Honeymommy's kids got no playstation home...... They pay the postage.... LOL

Cheeky or what.....

ahh you never get anything for free if you don't ask HM.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

what I meant by this was... unless you get a voltage convertor that ACTUALLY handles the rate at which the power is delivered then what you actually get is roughly 20% more voltage than was intended.

so... a power supply that outputs 12V on a UK power source (240V @ 50Hz) would be getting 240V @ 60Hz here thus outputting 13.2V, I have tried 5 different units here (all the ones below $100) and they ALL do this. For most applications its not a problem... for my laptop.. it was
The input frequency can have a small effect on the output voltage, depending upon the design of the power supply, but certainly not to this degree on a 20% rise from 50 to 60Hz.

It's more likely one of the following:

1. The supply is an unregulated type and you were measuring the output voltage off-load. With no load on a unregulated (or very poorly regulated) supply the output voltage will always be higher than nominal.

2. The supply is designed for 220V (European) input rather than 240V.

3. It's a supply intended for car radios, CBs, etc., where it is listed as 12V output but is actually regulated to 13.2 - 13.8V, closer to the actual operating voltage on a car when the engine is running.
Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PBC_1966
The input frequency can have a small effect on the output voltage, depending upon the design of the power supply, but certainly not to this degree on a 20% rise from 50 to 60Hz.

It's more likely one of the following:

1. The supply is an unregulated type and you were measuring the output voltage off-load. With no load on a unregulated (or very poorly regulated) supply the output voltage will always be higher than nominal.

2. The supply is designed for 220V (European) input rather than 240V.

3. It's a supply intended for car radios, CBs, etc., where it is listed as 12V output but is actually regulated to 13.2 - 13.8V, closer to the actual operating voltage on a car when the engine is running.

It was a laptop supply rated at 220-240V
Old Sep 29th 2004, 12:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Power supply in the states is crap anyway...well out here it is, always going out or blipping for no reason...
Old Sep 29th 2004, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

It was a laptop supply rated at 220-240V
Just about all modern supplies for a laptop computer will be rated for either 50 or 60Hz operation, so the frequency shouldn't make any difference.

If it was putting out a higher voltage than it should, then it was most likely faulty. It's unfortunate that in some power supply designs a faulty regulator can result in an output which is high enough to destroy equipment. It seems as though you were unlucky, but it could have happened anywhere. The 60Hz input wasn't responsible.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond reputeMad Max7 has a reputation beyond repute

I would think that the voltage would be the easy part to deal with. My concern would be if you would get a picture with the console. In the Uk the tv's work with PAL and in the US they work on Secam (Imay have it reound the wrong way,but it makes no differance). In simple terms the number of pixels (what makes up the picture) is different from the UK so I am really unsure if it would work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.