Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Eddie Izzard in Atlanta

Eddie Izzard in Atlanta

Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eddie Izzard in Atlanta

Originally Posted by Jabba1
My posts are not meant to be "inflamatory", rather they are meant to be humorous. I shall attempt to catch up with one Eddie Izzard if at all possible.

Huh? I think your "humor" as you put it, has a lot to be desired.

If you're not British and you have no connection to Brits (as in married to one or have family who are British), you have a lot to learn about the British sense of humor.

It's more than just Benny Hill, the Pythons and Black Adder.

Watching Eddie Izzard, for example would be highly educational in learning about British humor. BTW, he makes a great talkshow guest too!

I can't think of an American comic, dead or alive, who is anything like him. Others may chip in with suggestions though...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 15th 2004, 9:15 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

I think what sets him apart from American comedians is the willingness to poke fun at his OWN country as well as other ones. From the Church of England (Cake or Death) to the colonists "do you have a flag? No flag no country" - to the working class "I wanna work in a sewer...look you're British aim lower"

I've yet to see an American comedian who has the courage to do something similar. There are some very funny U.S. comedians, however most of them tend to stick to the tried and tested principle that foreigners are absurdly abnormal because they are different from them. Saturday Night Live is the closest I’ve seen.

Jabba - Apologies if I have pegged you wrong. I am merely going by my observations of you from two years posting on the forum. I only ever see you get involved in a conversation if you believe someone is criticizing your country. As far as I can fathom you are not moving to Britain, married to a Brit or anything else remotely connected with this forum so I am just puzzled as to why you would stick around here so long? Seriously what’s the interest?

Last edited by tony_2003; Nov 15th 2004 at 9:18 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_2003
I think what sets him apart from American comedians is the willingness to poke fun at his OWN country as well as other ones. From the Church of England (Cake or Death) to the colonists "do you have a flag? No flag no country" - to the working class "I wanna work in a sewer...look you're British aim lower"

I've yet to see an American comedian who has the courage to do something similar. There are some very funny U.S. comedians, however most of them tend to stick to the tried and tested principle that foreigners are absurdly abnormal because they are different from them. Saturday Night Live is the closest I’ve seen.

Jabba - Apologies if I have pegged you wrong. I am merely going by my observations of you from two years posting on the forum. I only ever see you get involved in a conversation if you believe someone is criticizing your country. As far as I can fathom you are not moving to Britain, married to a Brit or anything else remotely connected with this forum so I am just puzzled as to why you would stick around here so long? Seriously what’s the interest?

Several reasons actually. I have friends who are British and my cousin is married to a Brit. She's quite nice and seems to have adjusted well to living in the US. As for my own personal ancestory, I am from German Jewish decent. I have realatives living in Germany, and I think at least one realative who currently resides in the UK. He's a distant cousin and supposedly moved from Germany to London- I could be wrong, but that's what I was told by my Aunt who goes back to Germany regularly to visit the kin folk.

I have every intention of visiting the UK in the future. I am hopeful of a trip over the pond next summer. Fingers crossed that my job will permit.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:26 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

"I wanna work in a sewer...look you're British aim lower"
I don't remember that one. Which show is it from?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 5:31 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steffi
I don't remember that one. Which show is it from?
Can't remember. It's all about his trip to the careers councilor after leaving school.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:29 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Can't remember. It's all about his trip to the careers councilor after leaving school.
Is it maybe the one where he talks about the army?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Eddie Izzard, fine stuff ....

-------------------------------------------
"Now what do you want to do?"

"I want to be an astronaut and go to space and discover things that noone has ever discovered before."

"Look, you're British, so scale it down a bit, allright?"

"Okay, I want to work in a shoe shop, and discover shoes that noone has ever discovered before, right there in the back on the left."

"Look, you're British, so scale it down a bit."

"Allright i want to work in a sewer, and discover sewage that no one has ever discovered before, and pile it up on my head, come to the surface and sell myself to an art gallery."
-------------------------------------------
Old Nov 21st 2004, 8:50 pm
K1 via London

Well, Patrick and I went to see Eddie! We got there at 7ish, Eddie came out at about 8:15, answered questions for about 10 minytes. Unfortunately I was standing too far in the back to be able to hear him through the shitty speakers. After 5 hours of waiting (right at the midnight mark) we FINALLY reached Eddie! Of course by that point he'd been signing stuff for 4 hours and I think was about ready to head out (as was I)...which is of course understandable! So in other words by the time we got there he was grouchy. I think that was the first and last Q&A and autograph signing that I went to (as much as I like the guy and all!).

Here's some pics...taken at midnight, after 5 hours of waiting around for him:

^ Me tired *yawn*
Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:11 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steffi
Well, Patrick and I went to see Eddie! We got there at 7ish, Eddie came out at about 8:15, answered questions for about 10 minytes. Unfortunately I was standing too far in the back to be able to hear him through the shitty speakers. After 5 hours of waiting (right at the midnight mark) we FINALLY reached Eddie! Of course by that point he'd been signing stuff for 4 hours and I think was about ready to head out (as was I)...which is of course understandable! So in other words by the time we got there he was grouchy. I think that was the first and last Q&A and autograph signing that I went to (as much as I like the guy and all!).

Here's some pics...taken at midnight, after 5 hours of waiting around for him:

<<snip>>
Thanks for posting the pics and about your experience of going to the Q&A and signing session.

Sounds like a lot of people must have turned up based on how long you and Patrick waited.

Eddie looks a tired in the first pic or was he just mugging for the camera?

BTW- did you mention that you know a lot of Brits throughout the US who'd really like to see him perform live?

I tried this line with John Hegley (comic poet) when I was still living in the UK but was shortly about to move to the US. He didn't seem that enthusiastic...
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:02 am
K1 via London

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Sounds like a lot of people must have turned up based on how long you and Patrick waited.
Actually the lady that must have been the tour organizer (I think - or some other organizer anyway) told us that they had expected more people!! I was like "what?!"...I mean, it was midnight by the time we got to him, and the line was nowhere NEAR at the end (it probably wrapped around to where we originally started actually), so I don't know how they could have been expecting even more people!

Eddie looks a tired in the first pic or was he just mugging for the camera?
Actually he was posing for the camera. *L* But he does look tired, doesn't he? You can actually see the Red Bull next to him...plus he had another 2 energy drinks, 2 coffee cups, and two waters that were also on the table.

BTW- did you mention that you know a lot of Brits throughout the US who'd really like to see him perform live?
Everyone pretty much asked him that I think, hehe.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 5:57 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

I saw him last night on the Late Late Show - it looks like he has had his fair share of pies since last I saw him. Either that or that dress really does make him look slimmer.