Reload this Page >

Earth To Bush

Earth To Bush

Old Apr 30th 2005, 12:25 am
Franklin

Default Re: Earth To Bush

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
because it adds to global warming?
A particular class of molecules containing carbons, hydrogens and oxygens are converted in our bodies to carbon dioxide and water - so I guess under your theory our own bodies are damaging the ozone layer.

Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:40 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going back to first principles: the way to lower the price of a finite resource is to lower demand, whether this is done on a personal basis or mandated by a government. None of the solutions Bush has proposed can provide more refined gasoline immediately. He could, at a minimum, request a bit of voluntary conservation, no?

My point was merely that he did not address *how* we got into this jam nor how we could ease it immediately. Global warming and SUVs aside, we are up shit creek without a paddle. Unless one of you has some conspiracy theory that in fact, we have a quadrillion barrels of oil squirrelled away somewhere and need to liberate it, we have to limit consumption or the prices will rise.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
...Unless one of you has some conspiracy theory that in fact, we have a quadrillion barrels of oil squirrelled away somewhere and need to liberate it, we have to limit consumption or the prices will rise.
It's probably up bush's arse....although we could open the falklands up...really annoy the argentines
Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:57 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's probably up bush's arse....although we could open the falklands up...really annoy the argentines
Not to mention the penguins when the first spill occurs.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by USBound
I bought an expedition because

1. We have 2 kids
2. We carry a LOT of crap around with us when we go anywhere
3. I have family that visits often so we need the extra space
4. I like the look/feel of it

I'm not really all that bothered about gas prices at the mo.. I don't commute to work and I do less than 5000 miles a year...
It's your choice. Don't feel initmidated by the others here who would like to see your personal choice taken away and given to bureaucrats. BTW, I also own an Expedition. It's a fine vehicle, and I 've used it to carry as many as four adults, a wheelchair and luggage throughout the Southwest. I also have a small Tracker that I use for local trips.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 3:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Not to mention the penguins when the first spill occurs.
wouldn't be a problem, the sheep would mop it all up
Old Apr 30th 2005, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
I bought an expedition because

1. We have 2 kids
2. We carry a LOT of crap around with us when we go anywhere
3. I have family that visits often so we need the extra space
4. I like the look/feel of it

I'm not really all that bothered about gas prices at the mo.. I don't commute to work and I do less than 5000 miles a year...
See, this is the problem. If you had been back in the UK (assuming you are an expat) would you still have needed that Expedition to haul 2 kids, occasional visitors and some assorted family rubbish 5000 miles per year. Honestly. Really? Ah, so you are just living the life then. The Jones's next door have a big ass 5 MPG truck so I need one as well. Sorry, I just don't buy it. Your really don't need it. To paraphrase you last sentence, " I really don't give a crap about the environmental damage and waste of resources, it's cheap, crap, has a great monthly payment and I want it"

Don't take it personally, there are 50M other people in the US who think just like you, which is why the US consumes so much of the worlds natural resources.

Rant off.

- Tim
Old Apr 30th 2005, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
See, this is the problem. If you had been back in the UK (assuming you are an expat) would you still have needed that Expedition to haul 2 kids, occasional visitors and some assorted family rubbish 5000 miles per year. Honestly. Really? Ah, so you are just living the life then. The Jones's next door have a big ass 5 MPG truck so I need one as well. Sorry, I just don't buy it. Your really don't need it. To paraphrase you last sentence, " I really don't give a crap about the environmental damage and waste of resources, it's cheap, crap, has a great monthly payment and I want it"

Don't take it personally, there are 50M other people in the US who think just like you, which is why the US consumes so much of the worlds natural resources.

Rant off.

- Tim
I too have an Expedition and I bought it for exactly the same reason as USBound, kids and visitors for maybe 20 weeks of the year, being able to pick people up from the airport and actually being able to get all the luggage in the car is wonderful as is all being able to go somewhere in the same car.
Plus when we do drive places we drive a very very long way (unlike in the UK, where if you drive for more than 4 hours you're in the sea ), I agree I probably don't need such a huge car but its nice to have space for being able to go on such long trips, if for example I'd have bought a Mercedes A class which is what I bought at home we just couldn't do it, the boot was full with just a pushchair in it, I didn't buy mine because the neighbours had one, thats ridiculous, my neighbour does have a BMW M3, a Yukon Denali, a BMW 7 Series, a pick up truck and 2 Harleys, not forgetting 2 jet Skis (I wish ) didn't know who my neighbours were, bought it before we left the UK, I bought it because after considering all the options and thinking about what it would be used for it was the best option, I plan to explore every inch of this country, much of it by car, (you don't see the best bits in a plane) so I'm afraid to us the best option was an SUV, plus I'm getting 15 to the gallon at the moment, woo hoo.... it wasn't cheap either, $45,000! Btw, I was lucky to get 25 to the gallon out of my little Merc ( 1.6L then compared to a 5.4L now) and considering a UK gallon is 25% bigger, not much different really...
Old Apr 30th 2005, 4:08 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TimFountain

Rant off.

- Tim
Tim I dont like to be pedantic ( ) but whats caused your huge change in opinion over the last 10 days - exhibit A your honour - hates small cars in the UK hmmmm

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=38
Old Apr 30th 2005, 4:54 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
I too have an Expedition and I bought it for exactly the same reason as USBound, kids and visitors for maybe 20 weeks of the year, being able to pick people up from the airport and actually being able to get all the luggage in the car is wonderful as is all being able to go somewhere in the same car.
Plus when we do drive places we drive a very very long way (unlike in the UK, where if you drive for more than 4 hours you're in the sea ), I agree I probably don't need such a huge car but its nice to have space for being able to go on such long trips, if for example I'd have bought a Mercedes A class which is what I bought at home we just couldn't do it, the boot was full with just a pushchair in it, ............ plus I'm getting 15 to the gallon at the moment, woo hoo.... it wasn't cheap either, $45,000! Btw, I was lucky to get 25 to the gallon out of my little Merc ( 1.6L then compared to a 5.4L now) and considering a UK gallon is 25% bigger, not much different really...
Oh do me a favour. None of the above means you had to get an Expedition. You could do all that in a Volvo estate and it would be generally cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, better build quality and much safer all round. And why bring up the "little" Merc A class? It's not like that's your only alternative.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:04 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
Oh do me a favour. None of the above means you had to get an Expedition. You could do all that in a Volvo estate and it would be generally cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, better build quality and much safer all round. And why bring up the "little" Merc A class? It's not like that's your only alternative.

Have you ever seen an Expedition dipstick ? tell me how you get 8 people in Volvo estate with two push chairs ? the A class was a comparison to the UK car she drove, you cant buy em here so its not an alternative ... But please give me an example of a car that will carry 8 plus stuff .. or is it better we get the visitors to hire a car and add another one to the freeways of LA ?
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:13 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Have you ever seen an Expedition dipstick ?
Yeah, all cars have them. It's for checking the oil
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:21 am
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by elfman
You could do all that in a Volvo estate
Or a Chrysler Town & Country. Not a bad looking motor for that kind of size and only $21.965. Just a little more expensive than me Mini
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:27 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Have you ever seen an Expedition dipstick ? tell me how you get 8 people in Volvo estate with two push chairs ? the A class was a comparison to the UK car she drove, you cant buy em here so its not an alternative ... But please give me an example of a car that will carry 8 plus stuff .. or is it better we get the visitors to hire a car and add another one to the freeways of LA ?
Calm down.
Woodsey's reasons for buying an Expedition made no mention of carrying eight people and two pushchairs. You want something that carries 8 plus stuff? Then you'd do just as well with one of these

Same interior configuration and space, but cheaper and better gas mileage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.