Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Earth To Bush

Earth To Bush

Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:16 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earth To Bush

Originally Posted by woodsey
no we're not
Thank you, your far more generous than your Karma tight ass husband

Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003
15 :scared: I was a complete idiot at 17. I remember before I left the Uk the number of 17 year olds in serious and fatal accidents was far too many.
still is...*lol* oh well...
Old Apr 30th 2005, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
good for you...
personally, i'd rather they appriciate the value of there motor and work for it, so get it themselves, I did....not that there's anything wrong with parents splashing out for there kids on there cars, my priorties are different, and they might change in the future.
no I agree with you Bob, I'll be quite happy to help her out with getting a car, but believe me she'll have to work for it too and the way she's carrying on at the moment she'll be buying me a car.. I am desperately clinging though to the thought that maybe they will change the age for being able to drive to something like 25.
Old Apr 30th 2005, 7:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

no I agree with you Bob, I'll be quite happy to help her out with getting a car, but believe me she'll have to work for it too and the way she's carrying on at the moment she'll be buying me a car.. I am desperately clinging though to the thought that maybe they will change the age for being able to drive to something like 25.
being a taxi till there 25? sod that *lol* but 15 is a bit young, if they can't see over the steering wheel, they shouldn't be allowed to drive...but I know what you mean, it's a tough one.

My only worry would be if some spakker at school clipped the motor, more likely some other ponce that can't drive will cause an accident and I'd go spare if I had a nice motor that got wrecked...having said that, still went spare went some loon roof jumped the cars at uni and caved my roof and bonnet in, but rough justice being what it is, and the tw@ having size 13 Cat boots, weren't hard to find and someone smacked him up good and proper for it...
Old Apr 30th 2005, 7:24 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, most insurance companies will lumber you with the bill if you've got a driving-age teenager in the family regardless of whether or not they drive or you allow them to drive. So you're paying anyway unelss you can sell her off to a harem or something!
Old Apr 30th 2005, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
As far as I know, most insurance companies will lumber you with the bill if you've got a driving-age teenager in the family regardless of whether or not they drive or you allow them to drive. So you're paying anyway unelss you can sell her off to a harem or something!

harem it is then..
Old Apr 30th 2005, 8:39 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Same is true for non-teenage drivers who are new to driving anywhere who get a full license in the US in some states (like NC). I pay the same rates as teenage driver with a full license in NC for my first three years on the road. At least I work fulltime to offset the extortionate premiums (it's still over $2K per year for me and my spouse).

NC Penguin
Old Apr 30th 2005, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Tim I dont like to be pedantic ( ) but whats caused your huge change in opinion over the last 10 days - exhibit A your honour - hates small cars in the UK hmmmm

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=38
Well, youv'e got me banged to right's m'lord, it was me wot did it, fair cop gov. No seriously, my rant about the UK was really more about the parking spaces than the cars that (don't) fit in them. I had a very nice little renault Clio Auto (as I my leg was still dodgy after breaking it 7 weeks earlier, and then having surgery, but that's another story). The Clio was brank new, hence tight and not giving the best MPG, I still managed to get over 40 MPG on a run from London to Norwich, 3 up with small cases. Admittedly I wasn't hauling half my house with me, but it got the job done. My main point is that you really only need to buy the minimum you need, and hire/rent/borrow/steal the truck, trailer etc, for the few times you need it.

I get so pissed with the monster trucks around here, and if the truth be known it is much about driving/driver attitude as the waste of these things, but people only think of themselves so whatever.

- Tim
Old Apr 30th 2005, 2:58 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Not if you have them listed on your insurance policy as not being allowed to drive the insured vehicles. (At least that is how it works with our insurers - Mercury.)
Old Apr 30th 2005, 4:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Not if you have them listed on your insurance policy as not being allowed to drive the insured vehicles. (At least that is how it works with our insurers - Mercury.)
some states it doesn't matter because they could potentially go take the car without permission etc...
Old Apr 30th 2005, 4:42 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
some states it doesn't matter because they could potentially go take the car without permission etc...
In Texas, you can leave your kids off the policy but if they do drive and have a wreck, your policy is nullified leaving you completely responsible for the damage.

They are also automatically listed as primarily driving *the most expensive* car if you have more than one, so buying them a beater and restricting them to it will not help if Dad has a Porsche -- the teen will pay the Porsche rate, not the beater rate.

Boys are more expensive than girls and stay that way until 25; at 21, female rates come down. There is a catch -- marriage immediately drops the rates for both sexes, so Woodsey's idea of a harem isn't far off the mark
Old Apr 30th 2005, 4:44 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
I get so pissed with the monster trucks around here, and if the truth be known it is much about driving/driver attitude as the waste of these things, but people only think of themselves so whatever.
Monster trucks do suck.

Heya Tim, are you from Norwich? I am an American Canary supporter living here in Austin. Long story. Nice to see another Austinite
Old Apr 30th 2005, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

one thing... my insurance went from $68/month (liability only) for a '93 Chrysler concorde to $90/month FULLY comprehensive for the chrysler AND the Expedition.... surprised the heck outta me.
Old May 2nd 2005, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
most drivers do so just for the sake of having a big SUV, you don't need one to commute to work everyday etc, and when they start whining, it gets annoying, same goes for anyone in a v8 4+L motor.
I agree - whenever the awful local news stations here do a report on 'gas prices spirilling out of control', they always seem to stop and ask SUV owners, and they are pissed! You knew the MPG it got when you bought it, so now gas is at a more realistic price, too bad, shut up!! Especially as most ppl do not buy it for the space (which is largely an illusion anyway), they buy it cos they want an SUV.

If I take a nail and drive it in to my head, then whine and complain that it hurts, is it really a valid complaint???

Ignoring environmental issues, Oil is a non-renewable resource;
The Long Emergency
Old May 2nd 2005, 2:47 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UJ_99
! You knew the MPG it got when you bought it, so now gas is at a more realistic price, too bad, shut up!! Especially as most ppl do not buy it for the space (which is largely an illusion anyway), they buy it cos they want an SUV.
please explain comment "so now gas is at a more realistic price" ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.