Wikiposts

E-sim

Old Jul 25th 2022, 4:18 am
Just Joined

Yorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default E-sim

E-sims:

I don’t want to remove my US SIM card, I want to use an Esim and use my US number for cell only, and then use the Esim for UK data, is it possible to do this?

Appreciate anyone who’s got experience with this?

yes my phone is unlocked and I could just disconnect from US life for a few weeks but that’s not reasonable.

Thanks.
Old Jul 25th 2022, 4:22 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-sim

Originally Posted by Yorkshiredoughboy
E-sims:

I don’t want to remove my US SIM card, I want to use an Esim and use my US number for cell only, and then use the Esim for UK data, is it possible to do this?

Appreciate anyone who’s got experience with this?

yes my phone is unlocked and I could just disconnect from US life for a few weeks but that’s not reasonable.

Thanks.

Should be doable with a dual sim iPhone. You can select which SIM to use for data. You can also select 1 data line or allow switching. You can set default voice line so you us the local one.
Old Jul 25th 2022, 4:26 am
Just Joined

Yorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond reputeYorkshiredoughboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Should be doable with a dual sim iPhone. You can select which SIM to use for data. You can also select 1 data line or allow switching. You can set default voice line so you us the local one.
Thank you. Ive read some folks having trouble with their attempts. I have the 12 pro max. It is capable just haven’t tried yet.
Old Jul 25th 2022, 7:01 am
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Ive read some folks having trouble with their attempts. I have the 12 pro max. It is capable just haven’t tried yet.
I have a 12 Pro, have not done international, but have 2 US sims in mine.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

So it looks like every E-sim I've looked at only allows Data and not cell, I'm assuming I can still make calls over the internet with just data but I've never tried so I may be going in blind on this one.
Old Jul 27th 2022, 10:25 am
tht

So it looks like every E-sim I've looked at only allows Data and not cell, I'm assuming I can still make calls over the internet with just data but I've never tried so I may be going in blind on this one.
You can make calls like what’s app or FaceTime over data, but WiFi calling won’t work unless your on WiFi (not LTE) so you can’t avoid roaming charges like that…
Old Jul 27th 2022, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht
You can make calls like what’s app or FaceTime over data, but WiFi calling won’t work unless your on WiFi (not LTE) so you can’t avoid roaming charges like that…
That’s what I thought. First time messing around with it.

The real emphasis is on not paying $10 a day to verizon for two weeks times three phones.
Old Jul 27th 2022, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Actually you can if you have an iPhone...

You just have to either disable international roaming with AT&T/Verizon or use manual network selection to force your phone onto a network that they don't have a roaming agreement with. Your phone will then use data from the other SIM for "WiFi" calling and you can make/receive calls for free while abroad.

Old Jul 27th 2022, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Olly_

You just have to either disable international roaming with AT&T/Verizon or use manual network selection to force your phone onto a network that they don't have a roaming agreement with. Your phone will then use data from the other SIM for "WiFi" calling and you can make/receive calls for free while abroad.
Thanks. I have the Esim configured but not turned on yet, will switch it on when we land and see what happens.
Old Jul 27th 2022, 3:43 pm
tht

Originally Posted by Olly_

Very interesting… do you have “WiFi assist” on?

If this works it’s a much cleaner solution than the one I used for India before I had a dual sim phone. I had a Glocalme WiFi hotspot I would carry with me and then have the phone connect to that when away from office/hotel and turn off roaming and WiFi calling on.
Old Jul 28th 2022, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

I do but that setting doesn't control WiFi calling.

As long as the US SIM has no cell service it'll fail over to WiFi calling via the other (local) SIM - I've used it on multiple trips abroad now and it works perfectly. It was a new feature added in iOS 13 I think...
Old Jul 28th 2022, 5:19 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression you'd just get a sim in the UK and convert it to an e-sim. When I got my phone last month they upgraded the wrong line and it was e-sim only so it had the wrong number. I put my old sim into it, it was instantly recognised. I then deleted the e-sim and converted my physical sim to an e-sim for good measure.
Old Jul 28th 2022, 5:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
I was under the impression you'd just get a sim in the UK and convert it to an e-sim. When I got my phone last month they upgraded the wrong line and it was e-sim only so it had the wrong number. I put my old sim into it, it was instantly recognised. I then deleted the e-sim and converted my physical sim to an e-sim for good measure.
Maybe, wasn't sure, so I went this route, will use data calling and explore other options for next time.