Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dumb questions

Dumb questions

Old Nov 26th 2003, 1:42 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dumb questions

Originally posted by Patrick
oil

Patrick
You mean they have oil over there?
wow, you learn something everyday in this place..

Oh back to the thread, all of the above.

They really do ask some dumn questions.

My favorite is, "Why do all the British hate us? Have they forgotten how we saved their asses in WWII"
I just walked away.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:29 pm

cbone is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by NC Penguin
You wouldn't happen to be living in the Boston vicinity? Just asking 'cos my husband's told me that Bostonians are a pretty weird bunch. I've yet to discover this myself 'cos I've not visited Boston.

NC Penguin
Funny you should ask that. We live 40 minutes south of Boston. So it sounds like a regional disorder then !!
Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I get asked if Im Australian pretty everyday, that and Scottish, Irish and my personal favourite, Danish.

Other conversations of note.

Q. Do you have TVs in England?
A. Ummm, yes
Q.What about microwaves?
A. Those too
Q. How about Christmas trees?
A. Yes, and those.

Q. Do they have driving licenses in England?
A. Yes.
Q. Do you take a test?
A. Yes, but it's a little different to here though.
Q. Why?
A. Because you have to prove you can drive properly.

Q. Have you ever been to France?
A. Yes.
Q. We're thinking of going but we dont speak French. Do many people speak American?

I had this conversation so many times.

Q. Where are you from?
A. England
Q. Oh, youre from London. We went there once.
A. I'm not from London.
Q. You just said you were.
A. No, I'm from England.
Q. But theyre the same.
A. So what part of DC are you from?

I work in a department store selling ladies shoes....

Q. I love Doc Martens, do you have them in England?
A. No, they just write "Made In England" all over them for a joke.

And the question that I still dont get.

Q. We know people in England, X and Y, do you know them?
Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I get asked if Im Australian pretty everyday, that and Scottish, Irish and my personal favourite, Danish.

Other conversations of note.

Q. Do you have TVs in England?
A. Ummm, yes
Q.What about microwaves?
A. Those too
Q. How about Christmas trees?
A. Yes, and those.

Q. Do they have driving licenses in England?
A. Yes.
Q. Do you take a test?
A. Yes, but it's a little different to here though.
Q. Why?
A. Because you have to prove you can drive properly.

Q. Have you ever been to France?
A. Yes.
Q. We're thinking of going but we dont speak French. Do many people speak American?

I had this conversation so many times.

Q. Where are you from?
A. England
Q. Oh, youre from London. We went there once.
A. I'm not from London.
Q. You just said you were.
A. No, I'm from England.
Q. But theyre the same.
A. So what part of DC are you from?

Q. I love Doc Martens, do you have them in England?
A. No, they just write "Made In England" all over them for a joke.

And the question that I still dont get.

Q. We know people in England, X and Y, do you know them?
Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to Historic sites in Boston many times and you feel like a complete and utter bastard for being British!

We are your friends now people, one of the few countries to support you on your oil war in Iraq

Patrick
A friend of mine did the Duck tour around Boston with his mates. Throughout the whole tour, the tour guide slagged off the British until right at the end, he asked my friend and his mates where they were from, once they replied, there was a strange silence from the once cockey tour guide.

I've only been asked the Australian question about a zillion times, the last time being when I was getting my haircut last week. I shit you not also, but the hairdresser kept calling me "Turbo" for no reason what so ever? I dont know wtf she was on?
Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts

What!!!????
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

oops double post

Last edited by Pimpbot; Nov 26th 2003 at 5:40 pm.
BE Forum Addict

Last edited by Pimpbot; Nov 26th 2003 at 5:40 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I dont know how I managed 4 posts the same
Old Nov 26th 2003, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have been to Historic sites in Boston many times and you feel like a complete and utter bastard for being British!

We are your friends now people, one of the few countries to support you on your oil war in Iraq

Patrick
A friend of mine did the Duck tour around Boston with his mates. Throughout the whole tour, the tour guide slagged off the British until right at the end, he asked my friend and his mates where they were from, once they replied, there was a strange silence from the once cockey tour guide.

I've only been asked the Australian question about a zillion times, the last time being when I was getting my haircut last week. I shit you not also, but the hairdresser kept calling me "Turbo" for no reason what so ever? I dont know wtf she was on?
Old Nov 26th 2003, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Its weird, I clicked the button, nothing happened so I go and eat lunch, come back and theres 2!

And yes, Im not having much luck in the computer field so I work part time selling shoes, its not great but it helps with the bills!
Old Nov 26th 2003, 6:17 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

a bit trigger happy today then Pimp.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

I got the 4th of July and Thanksgiving questions too, and an added 'do they celebrate Christmas in The Netherlands?'. Yep, and it's 2 frickin' days, too.

Also people think everyone here lives in apartments, because they refuse to believe me when I explain that a lot of single family homes are attached here. So they keep asking me if I will miss my apartment (3 floors, huge yard).

Someone asked me of we have pizza here, and McDonalds. I told them no McDonalds, but my daughter ruined that by starting screaming for a Happy Meal.

The weirdest one was when someone asked me why we don't translate our addresses into English.

And of course there's the obligatory questions about drugs...
Old Nov 26th 2003, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

LOL this thread is too funny... and here is me thinking only I got asked the stupid questions.

As well as being asked if I am Austrailan I have also been asked if I am from canada, south africa and ireland what is even more funny is that when I tell people where I am from they will go on to add 'oh yes I have a friend over there or relatives over there or I visited over there' Hmmm and you don't recognise the accent?

Not long after I moved here my neighbour asked if we had seat belts in the UK and later she asked if we have DVD players... do they think we lived in a 3rd world country or something.

I also find it a real hoot that americans seem to think england is a speck of a country with a couple of hundred people who all know each other... as someone else mentioned you meet someone who knows a person in england and your expected to know them too

Ash
Old Nov 26th 2003, 8:36 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

My 15 year old sister in law offered the following question

"Do you have Coke in England"

Obviously I didn't reply, prefering to respond by looking at her as if she had announce she was going to take a shit on the floor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.