Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dumb questions

Wikiposts

Dumb questions

Old Nov 28th 2003, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

With the exception of the standard "do you know the queen?" question, the wierdest one I ever encountered was

"Do you have banks in England?"

I probably wouldn't have minded to much with the exception that I was stood in a branch of HSBC at the time.

In her defense though, the second the words come out of her mouth she realised exactly how dumb what she had said sounded!
Old Nov 29th 2003, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Nicola76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by CitySimon
With the exception of the standard "do you know the queen?" question, the wierdest one I ever encountered was

"Do you have banks in England?"

I probably wouldn't have minded to much with the exception that I was stood in a branch of HSBC at the time.

In her defense though, the second the words come out of her mouth she realised exactly how dumb what she had said sounded!

I've had quite a few of the already mentioned too, Thanksgiving in England, do we celebrate Christmas, Do we have Coke (not asked by a 15 year old like manc1976 though, by a 21 year old!).
I'e also been asked if we drink coffee, have bees Snickers and I called our wedding photographer just before the wedding and as soon as he heard my accent he began to tell me all about the 3 week vacation he had just returned from in Australia, how great the place was and if I missed it lol!! I told him I've never been and I think he worked it out himself I was English not Australian!

Nicola

Timeline TSC
NOA1 January 15th 2003
NOA2 June 19th 2003 (Online Status)
NOA2 Letter received June 23rd 2003
NVC Letter recieved July 2nd 2003 (dated 30th June)
Packet 3 received July 10th 2003
Returned IV-15 July 21st 2003 (Delayed due to being in the USA when it arrived)
Interview date received July 25th 2003
Interview date September 2nd 2003
Got the Visa!!!
Moved to the USA September 5th 2003

Got married November 1st

Adjustment of Status - Atlanta
AOS & EAD sent November 22nd 2003
Received at Atlanta office November 25th 2003 (UPS online)
Old Nov 29th 2003, 5:38 am
JeanDupont

Errr...........we used not to have Snickers - we had Marathons if I remember correctly - but I know what you mean.

For some reason many people here think that the UK has kilometres not miles.

Of course they have litres in UK now not gallons - the only thing that used to be bigger in UK than Texas.

Interestingly Ireland has kilometres and miles on signs - they are not differentiated between on signposts except that the old signs are miles, the new ones are kilometres - mostly. Very confusing, as of course is the fact that they have English and Irish names for towns on signposts and they are usually totally different.

Old Nov 29th 2003, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice

Hi,
I have just had a good laugh at all of the postings.

We have been asked many of the same questions, and a few others: Being Scottish living in Canada, we are often asked where is Scotland? is it in England , whereabouts in England is it.

We have also been asked how long it took us to learn English when we came here. I know many of the English ex-pats would agree with that one!!!

Q. Do you have Direct Debit over there?
A. Yes,
reply You do really..............!
A. Yes, and we have banks, electiricty and running water as well, can u believe it.

I was asked this question and I wanted to slap the person for being so thick, I know, not very kind, but after 3 years of stupid questions, this one just peeved me off.
During my kids swimming lessons, this women insisted on speaking to me.

Q. Did you come over here because there were no jobs over there?
A. No we came over because we thought we might try the experience of living in another country before we get too old and settled.
Q. Oh, Do you have swimming pools like this over there and swimming lessons.
A. No, we just throw the kids into the local lake and hope they come back up again.
The women apologised and I felt like a heel.

Lastly, a colleague of my husband asked him if we celebrate Christmas in Scotland. My husband said of course we do, but Santa dresses in blue and white. As there are a few ex-pats working with my husband they kept that one going for a while.

Last edited by ramac; Nov 29th 2003 at 6:05 am.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

lau3rie is on a distinguished road

wow...and i thought i was the only one who got the australian question!

my personal favourite stupid question was from a guy in...Boston who asked me and my parents if
1. We have pennies in England
and
2. So what do you call them then?
obviously the idea of pound and pence vs dollars and cents was beyond him

laura