Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dumb questions

Dumb questions

Old Nov 26th 2003, 11:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The strangest question I have ever been asked was from my wife's aunt the first time I met her. "Do you do the knife-and-fork thing?"

I had to ask my wife if I do the knife-and-fork thing, she replied that I do. I then asked what the knife-and-fork thing is.

It would seem that at least some Americans are particularly impressed by the tricky activity of simulataneously using a table knife in your right hand and a fork in your left hand.

Of course this is the same nation that thinks that coordinating your left foot with your right hand whilst simultaneously holding the steering while with your left hand, and not looking what you are doing with any of your limbs to be a feat too difficult to consider.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Pulaski
The strangest question I have ever been asked was from my wife's aunt the first time I met her. "Do you do the knife-and-fork thing?"

I had to ask my wife if I do the knife-and-fork thing, she replied that I do. I then asked what the knife-and-fork thing is.

It would seem that at least some Americans are particularly impressed by the tricky activity of simulataneously using a table knife in your right hand and a fork in your left hand.

Of course this is the same nation that thinks that coordinating your left foot with your right hand whilst simultaneously holding the steering while with your left hand, and not looking what you are doing with any of your limbs to be a feat too difficult to consider.
yay, it's not just me posting a lot of messages because none look like they are working! this forum must be having problems

I thought British people were good with the "knife and fork" thing. Eating french fries, hamburgers, pizza with knife and fork! Everyone over there stared at me for eating with my fingers

Last edited by Steff; Nov 26th 2003 at 2:09 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 2:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Steff ..... I thought British people were good with the "knife and fork" thing. ....
Eating a rack of ribs using only a knife and fork is my favorite trick. I was in Chicago on business a few years ago and I sat at the bar in the Cheesecake Factory and ate a full rack of baby-back ribs using only a knife and fork, while being watched, with a mixture of suspicion and intrigue, by the waitress as she attended to the other customers.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

HAHAHAHA!

I'm from Australia, lived in Australia. I have never been to the U.S. and have been asked similar questions over the Internet!

The worst statement was when I was disagreeing with an American about history (most Americans think WW 2 began in 1942, Blah!) and he said... "the fact that Australia is at the bottom of the map proves you all talk shit!"

Here's a good expat site where we all make fun of the Americans and their ignorance...

http://www.aussieexpats.asn.au/modul...109ca1c151ddc8
Old Nov 26th 2003, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, can't you just feel the brotherly love on this forum.
Old Nov 26th 2003, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dumb questions

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
I took a class of 5th graders to Boston this summer and we went to all the historic points of interest etc. (A lot of cemeteries)

There is a "Whites of their eyes" exhibit and I left it offended by the way we were portrayed. It wouldn't hurt if at the end it was mentioned that the British are no longer "The Enemy"

I had a conversation with a bloke dressed in period costume in The granary' cemetary and he was really obsessed with his own version of events in history! -- I didn't know if he was right about all of it... but it did come across the wrong way to me!

I smiled and nodded then thought "What a tosser!" as I walked away.

Are Brits still the enemy? I used to think not, but after reading this thread, I'm not so sure.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

I've been asked these questions in England:
1. Are you Canadian? (Perhaps because I don't have a typical American accent).
2. How many times did you go to Disneyland this summer? (The person knew I lived in New York.)
3. Do you see many cowboys and red Indians? (Again, the person knew I lived in New York.)
My conclusion: You can find stupid people anywhere.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:13 am
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in a bookstore with my sister in law and at the the checkout i got out my wallet to pay and I dropped it, the till girl rolled her eyes in the way that most Americans do and my sis in law piped up "i'm sorry but he's English" all I could say was well bugger me it isn't an illness and the till girl looked at my sis in law and sighed. Needless to say she got some abuse on the drive home
Old Nov 27th 2003, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

My cousin has visited the UK on serveral occasions. He said the most common misconception the Brits had about the US has to do with it's size. When he told the locals he was from San Diego, they would reply "San Diego, isn't that near New York City?".

He said that most of the Brits he had casual conversation with seemed to think that LA and NY were close to each other as well. When he tried to explain that the two were thousands of miles apart, they just shrugged. Go figure.

Last edited by Jabba1; Nov 27th 2003 at 12:25 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 11:11 am

Originally posted by Jabba1
..... When he tried to explain that the two were thousands of miles apart, they just shrugged. ....
That's just the flip side of Americans who think that the UK is much bigger than it really is. I put it down to atlases that show the UK on one page, and the USA on a double-spread page. For those with no grasp of how to read a map, considering the scale and all, it makes the UK look to be about half the size of the US.

Like Edwords said "You can find stupid people anywhere."
Old Nov 27th 2003, 2:38 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a couple of corkers, that have nothing to do with Australians

"Is it true that in England you eat squirrels?"

"Is it true that incest is legal in England?"

Of course I replied in the negative on both questions. But it was so tempting to say they were true.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dgsyd1
I've got a couple of corkers, that have nothing to do with Australians

"Is it true that in England you eat squirrels?"

"Is it true that incest is legal in England?"

Of course I replied in the negative on both questions. But it was so tempting to say they were true.
Slow Cooked Squirrel
This stew recipe is for those of us who are hunters and
are more of the country ilk. It is easy that you can go to
work while it simmers in your pot and when you return home,
dinner is ready. Prep Time: approx. 20 Minutes. Cook Time:
approx. 8 Hours . Ready in: approx. 8 Hours 20 Minutes. Makes
6 servings.
Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Bobbie Jo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 squirrels - skinned,
gutted, and cut into pieces
4 large potatoes, quartered
1 pound carrots, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 onions, sliced
2 cups water
1/4 medium head cabbage
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions
1 In a slow cooker, place the squirrel meat, potatoes,
carrots, green bell pepper, onions, water, cabbage, salt and
ground black pepper.
2 Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 2:07 am
Just Joined

gibbsrr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cbone
Has anyone been asked stupid questions that make you question the education here? Since coming here in March I think I have been asked some of the dumbest questions ever.

Examples are:

1. When shopping one day with the kids, we were asked if they were born with their accents or did we teach them to talk like that.

2. on July 4th we were asked if we celebrate it in England

3. In the fall we were asked if the leaves fall of the trees and change colour in England.

4. Another time shopping we were asked if the dollars were the same in England. No we said we use pounds. "oh thats what you call them in England"!

5. Do we celebrate thanksgiving in England? No I only learnt the history of this celebaration this week, but the natives shoud all know it.

6. Do we have beaches in England?

All of these on top of the weekly, almost daily question of are you Australian? argh

Please share any you may have

Happy holidays!!!
Was asked, "Are all menues in England in French or American?"
Old Nov 28th 2003, 5:35 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

While in line to get his SS card, the guard asked my husband if he was Irish. Cory is Canadian!!!! I still to this day have not figured that one out.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Having a good laugh at all of these!

Being originally born in Lisbon, but having beein raised in Zimbabwe and married to a South African and living here in the USA for years, you can imagine the great ones I've had asked of me before.

My favorite?

Q. Where are you from, I love your neat accent?
A. South Africa.

Wide-eyed person answers.

BUT YOU'RE WHITE!!!!

Still gives me a giggle every time I hear it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.