Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual citizenship

Dual citizenship

Old Sep 8th 2011, 2:54 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizenship

Originally Posted by Steve_
There's a very odd situation with a First Nations reservation that straddles the US/Canadian border, I think it's the one in Québec, people born there who are considered members of the tribe are Canadian citizens by birth, British citizens by treaty (because the treaty was originally signed with the British prior to the Citizenship Act 1947) and also under the treaty they are allowed to remain in the US indefinitely so USCIS grants them LPR status.
Section 289 of the US Immigration & Nationality Act governs "American Indians born in Canada." This section executes the 1794 Jay treaty between the US and Britain. This right of free passage was discussed in the case of Yellowquill, 16 I&N Dec. 576 (BIA 1978).

In a related issue, it used to be that the documentary exemptions the US gives Canadians were also given to those with "common nationality" with Canada. So, Commonwealth Citizens who were landed in Canada did not need non-immigrant visas to enter the US. I remember some litigation, ultimately unsuccessful, to extend this dispensation to nationals of the EU.

This dispensation for Commonwealth Citizens was eliminated in 2003.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Sep 8th 2011 at 2:59 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:10 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
They might consider that they have British Citizenship by treaty, but I'd be sceptical that the UK would agree with them.
I know two First Nations from back east who've gotten it, they get it automatically is my understanding. As soon as they hear my accent they go: "Oh, I'm British too, got a passport and everything!" Technically they would be stateless without it, if not for Canada granting them citizenship (which I don't think they're obliged to do but they do anyway). Being an LPR of the US doesn't mean you're a citizen of anywhere. One of them told me he'd gone and worked in the UK for awhile.

Last edited by Steve_; Sep 8th 2011 at 3:21 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:20 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Section 289 of the US Immigration & Nationality Act governs "American Indians born in Canada." This section executes the 1794 Jay treaty between the US and Britain. This right of free passage was discussed in the case of Yellowquill, 16 I&N Dec. 576 (BIA 1978).
Yes it is the Jay Treaty, I remember one of them telling me that. It says in that case law they're exempt from the alien registration requirements, but still USCIS gives them LPR cards. Must be for convenience I suppose. 8 CFR 289.2 says they automatically get LPR status if they reside in the US, so I assume from that they qualify for naturalization.

This dispensation for Commonwealth Citizens was eliminated in 2003.
Yes because the US realized it applied to nationals of Pakistan for example. Hence there is no longer a TN-1 visa because only Canadians can get TN-1 now and we're exempt from getting visas.