Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual citizenship

Dual citizenship

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:52 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all
Default Dual citizenship

Hello all, been a long time since I was last here. I've been in the USA now for 7 years. In a few years time I will be able to become a citizen (came on spousal visa). Has anyone gone the route of dual citizenship? Is it easy to do?
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizenship

Originally Posted by fatman
Has anyone gone the route of dual citizenship?
Yes... I have, as have many others.

Is it easy to do?
Very easy!

Ian
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:26 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes... I have, as have many others.

Very easy!

Ian
Agreed, me too.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

You fill out the application, pay your fee, answer your civics questions, read/write/speak a sentence in English, take an oath and your done.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
You fill out the application, pay your fee, answer your civics questions, read/write/speak a sentence in English, take an oath and your done.
Don't forget the biometrics

But yeah, pretty easy.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

cardinal125 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have some questions about this. My wife is a British citizen here in the US now as a permanent resident w/o conditions. I'm trying to find out if she applies for US Citizenship, will she ever be forced by either government to renounce her UK citizenship? Are there special procedures to have 'dual citizenship' or is it simply obtaining a second citizenship from the USA?

What implications does her citizenship status have on children me may have? I would love my kids to have dual citizenship somehow...

Thanks!!!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:05 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
... if only the DMV was as easy as that.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

ldobson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cardinal125
I have some questions about this. My wife is a British citizen here in the US now as a permanent resident w/o conditions. I'm trying to find out if she applies for US Citizenship, will she ever be forced by either government to renounce her UK citizenship? Are there special procedures to have 'dual citizenship' or is it simply obtaining a second citizenship from the USA?

What implications does her citizenship status have on children me may have? I would love my kids to have dual citizenship somehow...

Thanks!!!

The Answer is no, both the US and UK 'tollorate' Dual citizenship's but dont offically recongnise it, your free to hold both citizenships without an issue. After going through the process last November I can say that its a relatively easy process.

Regarding children obviously any child born in the USA will be a US Citizen automatically, and I am pretty sure that you can also obtain a UK passport for a child with a parent who is a British citizen.

Last edited by ldobson; Aug 24th 2011 at 7:13 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cardinal125
... will she ever be forced by either government to renounce her UK citizenship?
No. The US has no authority to force someone to renounce the citizenship of another country. Besides... Liz decides who is or who is not a UK citizen... not the US.

... or is it simply obtaining a second citizenship from the USA?
Yes, it's as simple as that.

Ian
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ldobson
... both the US and UK 'tollorate' Dual citizenship's but dont offically recongnise it
I'm not sure that's entirely true. The US certainly does not officially recognize dual citizenship, but my understanding is that the UK does.

Ian
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:17 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

I'm not sure that's entirely true. The US certainly does not officially recognize dual citizenship, but my understanding is that the UK does.

Ian
Thanks all, makes much more sense now.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:56 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatman
I've been in the USA now for 7 years. In a few years time I will be able to become a citizen (came on spousal visa).
I thought that as a spouse you were eligible to apply for citizenship 3 years after obtaining PR status?
Old Aug 25th 2011, 12:59 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

This is an FAQ. Each country determines who their citizens are. The US naturalization process does include a renunciation of prior allegiance. The question then becomes, what does the other country think of this?

The AILA Annual Conference used to have a presentation on immigration moments of the past. One year, it was about an elderly English woman whom the government had unsuccessfully tried to deport as a Commie in the 50's. She was over 90 when I saw her -- she told us she had become a US Citizen the year before and "I was able to tell Liz to go to hell."

[Yes, Ian and I like that turn of phrase. ]
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
Actually I can think of an instance where an agency of the US government does recognize US citizens may hold a second nationality: when a USC files an I-130 petition with the DHS office in London, they are asked to supply proof of their qualification to use the "DCF" route - i.e. their status in the UK. The instructions specifically state that if their status in the UK is derived from a dual citizenship to supply a photocopy of the other passport.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

cardinal125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ldobson
The Answer is no, both the US and UK 'tollorate' Dual citizenship's but dont offically recongnise it, your free to hold both citizenships without an issue. After going through the process last November I can say that its a relatively easy process.
Originally Posted by S Folinsky
This is an FAQ. Each country determines who their citizens are. The US naturalization process does include a renunciation of prior allegiance. The question then becomes, what does the other country think of this?
Thanks all for your comments. Looks like we might have some discrepency...

Idobson - Did your naturalization process include an official renunciation of prior aliegences?

What I really want to know is what does the other country think of this??

Last edited by cardinal125; Aug 25th 2011 at 1:51 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.