British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving licences (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-licences-433823/)

Pony Mar 12th 2007 5:06 pm

Re: Driving licences

Here in Texas you don't need a social security to apply for a drivers license. However if you have applied for one then you can't have a drivers license until you have the number (typically a month to get it - 10 day wait from entering US for info to be entered in to system, then the usual delays).
So, in Texas at least, it was wiser to apply for the drivers license in the morning - stating you do not have a social security number and signing the declaration, then applying for your SSN in the afternoon. That way you get your drivers license a lot sooner - which is useful to use as I.D.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4506941)
When you arrive in the US apply for a Social Security number immediately...you will need one and life will be difficult until you have it.

unicorndreams Mar 12th 2007 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4508272)
My UK license is still the old paper one, never needed to change the address on it, never got any points on it, so no point in changing it for a new photo one, too much of a tight git...and it's valid till I'm 70 instead of valid for 10 years :D

Mine too.

frrussre Mar 13th 2007 12:03 am

Originally Posted by gruffbrown (Post 4508996)
They do, post 7 Frank.
BTW Do not hand over your UK License, they have no right to it, ask to see a supervisor.

NY also use to swap UK for NY licence. I missed it by a couple of weeks.
Reg. Frank R.

Jerseygirl Mar 13th 2007 12:05 am

Originally Posted by frrussre (Post 4511581)
NY also use to swap UK for NY licence. I missed it by a couple of weeks.
Reg. Frank R.

They don't do it any longer Frank.

frrussre Mar 13th 2007 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4511584)
They don't do it any longer Frank.

Thats what I twas saying. They stopped a short while before I went to get my NY licence. I had to do the video/written/driving test.
Reg. Frank R.
Ps. 70f today

Jerseygirl Mar 13th 2007 12:10 am

Originally Posted by frrussre (Post 4511596)
Thats what I twas saying. They stopped a short while before I went to get my NY licence. I had to do the video/written/driving test.
Reg. Frank R.
Ps. 70f today

What I said in previous posts is if you have a UK licence you only have to take a written test and not a driving test in NJ. They no longer require you to swap your UK licence...you can keep it. :)

BTW 60's here...very nice.

Knight Mar 13th 2007 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4511597)
What I said in previous posts is if you have a UK licence you only have to take a written test and not a driving test in NJ. They no longer require you to swap your UK licence...you can keep it. :)

BTW 60's here...very nice.

Don't the DVLA require you to surrender your lisence when you leave the country?

I could be totally wrong on this, it's just from memory of reading something somewhere.

snowbunny Mar 13th 2007 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Pony (Post 4510274)
Here in Texas you don't need a social security to apply for a drivers license. However if you have applied for one then you can't have a drivers license until you have the number (typically a month to get it - 10 day wait from entering US for info to be entered in to system, then the usual delays).
So, in Texas at least, it was wiser to apply for the drivers license in the morning - stating you do not have a social security number and signing the declaration, then applying for your SSN in the afternoon. That way you get your drivers license a lot sooner - which is useful to use as I.D.

This was my husband's experience as well. This will vary from state to state as some states have announced they have no intention of implementing "Real ID" (effectively checking the applicant's visa status) and they may not require an SSN.

It's madness.

Jerseygirl Mar 13th 2007 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Knight (Post 4512328)
Don't the DVLA require you to surrender your lisence when you leave the country?

I could be totally wrong on this, it's just from memory of reading something somewhere.

I don't know anyone who's surrended their UK licence.

gruffbrown Mar 13th 2007 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4513059)
I don't know anyone who's surrended their UK licence.

The French are required to.

Jerseygirl Mar 13th 2007 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown (Post 4513145)
The French are required to.

Fancy a little line dancing Gruff?

Bob Mar 13th 2007 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Knight (Post 4512328)

Nope...you just can't technically get a new one without being resident in the UK, but most just use a parents address or something.

You only surrender your UK driving license to the DVLA if your moving to a country where you can transfer your license, so around the EU, to Canada and a few other countries...countries that require you to re-take a test, you don't have to hand in your license.