British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving licences (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-licences-433823/)

mcc22 Mar 11th 2007 9:13 am

Driving licences

Ok another question has arisen, we move to USA 31May first month we will be living in Manhattan so don't really need a car however we are then moving to New Jersey, Chesterfield, Burlington.

We will need to buy cars and obviously take a driving test, however someone has now mentioned that we can not buy a car without a valid licence and that we cannot sit a test without our own vehicle.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tracy

Tracym Mar 11th 2007 1:15 pm

Re: Driving licences

Originally Posted by mcc22 (Post 4506481)
Ok another question has arisen, we move to USA 31May first month we will be living in Manhattan so don't really need a car however we are then moving to New Jersey, Chesterfield, Burlington.

We will need to buy cars and obviously take a driving test, however someone has now mentioned that we can not buy a car without a valid licence and that we cannot sit a test without our own vehicle.

Thanks
Tracy

You can usually drive on an international drivers license for up to a year.

And, I don't think I've needed my drivers license to buy a car. If you buy one from a private party, I certainly doubt you'd be asked for it.

I suppose people who don't have a car borrow one from a friend or something - actually, the friend would have to drive them to the testing center. Perhaps a co-worker or something?

I would suggest researching the New Jersey department of motor vehicles for the exact regulations.

Sorry, I don't remember what visa you will have, there are some restrictions for how long they will issue licenses for, depending upon the visa type and length.

dbj1000 Mar 11th 2007 1:23 pm

Most, if not all of the information that Tracy has given you is State-dependent.

Some states only allow you to drive for 30 days on a foreign license, some allow a year. Many allow only 30 days for an out-of-state (but still US) license, but allow longer for a foreign license.

If you are entitled to a Social Security Number with your visa then I believe you have to wait to get it before you can take the test. However, if your family members are on non-work visas (like the H4) they should be able to swear or sign an affidavit saying they're not entitled to an SSN and take the test without one.

Even if you're allowed to drive for a year on your UK license, I suggest you don't. We did, and it just means putting off the inevitable, and paying $$$ for car insurance in the meantime.

Jerseygirl Mar 11th 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks
Tracy

When you arrive in the US apply for a Social Security number immediately...you will need one and life will be difficult until you have it.

If you have a valid UK licence you will only have to sit a multiple question verbal test. Do not give in your UK licence...it is not a requirement in NJ. You can drive on your UK licence for 60 days. Take your passport with you as they will want to see your visa. Take a look at NJ DMV website:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/...n-Citizens.htm

If you are considering leasing or obtaining finance for a car you will have to provide an insurance certificate before the car dealer will allow you to take possession of the car.

TruBrit Mar 11th 2007 1:28 pm

Thanks
Tracy

check this out tracy http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/FirstTime.htm

Jerseygirl Mar 11th 2007 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 4506947)

I presume they already have a UK licence if so this is the page they need:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/...n-Citizens.htm

gruffbrown Mar 11th 2007 1:41 pm

You don't have to drive to obtain your NJ License if you have a current UK license, it's a knowledge test only. Brush up on this.

NJ Handbook

You will need to meet the 6 point ID to apply for it.

6 Point ID

Sample test here.

Sample test

Good luck, I failed my theory first time much to everyone on BE's amusement. That will teach me to read the handbook first. :D

Bob Mar 11th 2007 2:25 pm

check the other driving thread on NJ...

You can use drivers ed person's car for the test, or a rental, you don't have to own it...just have to show proof that it's road legal...and you can use your international license for a month..you don't need a license to buy a car, tho in NJ, you do to register it, but judging by the pillocks that "drive" there, a one handed epileptic monkey on crack could pass the test....sorry Gruff :D

Lynne Mar 11th 2007 2:38 pm

We bought our vehicles from a dealership in GA using an International Driving License and an insurance binder.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 11th 2007 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Lynne (Post 4507081)
We bought our vehicles from a dealership in GA using an International Driving License and an insurance binder.

No such thing as an International Drivers License, and you do not need a translation if its in English.

A Dealer Insurance Binder is likely to be horribly expensive.

Rete Mar 11th 2007 7:42 pm

Thank you, Boiler. Someone else who knows the difference between a country's driver's license and an international one.

MartinF Mar 11th 2007 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 4507482)
No such thing as an International Drivers License, and you do not need a translation if its in English.

A Dealer Insurance Binder is likely to be horribly expensive.

To clarify... there exists in the world a document called an "International Drivers License". However, it's not a driving license, in the sense having one bestowes the right to drive. It is simply a translation document, translating what's on your National driving license into English.

BTW When using a UK license to rent a car (in the USA), you will need to show the little plastic ID type card AND show the big green piece of paper.

Rushman Mar 11th 2007 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by MartinF (Post 4507663)

BTW When using a UK license to rent a car (in the USA), you will need to show the little plastic ID type card AND show the big green piece of paper.

Cobblers!! I've rented cars atleast 8 ot 9 times and NEVER shown the paper part of the licence.

Bob Mar 11th 2007 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 4507482)

The permit is handy though if you've an old license that doesn't have the photo...but other than that, it's pretty worthless...

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 11th 2007 10:51 pm

An Internional Drivers Permit

I find it hard to believe anybody here would know there is a paper counterpart, I have mine but until mentioned I had completely forgotten about it.

Completely gutted when I could not find my old paper license, would have had some fun when asked for a DL.