Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving licences

Driving licences

Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:13 am
Just Joined

mcc22 will become famous soon enoughmcc22 will become famous soon enough
Default Driving licences

Ok another question has arisen, we move to USA 31May first month we will be living in Manhattan so don't really need a car however we are then moving to New Jersey, Chesterfield, Burlington.

We will need to buy cars and obviously take a driving test, however someone has now mentioned that we can not buy a car without a valid licence and that we cannot sit a test without our own vehicle.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tracy
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licences

Originally Posted by mcc22 View Post
Ok another question has arisen, we move to USA 31May first month we will be living in Manhattan so don't really need a car however we are then moving to New Jersey, Chesterfield, Burlington.

We will need to buy cars and obviously take a driving test, however someone has now mentioned that we can not buy a car without a valid licence and that we cannot sit a test without our own vehicle.

Thanks
Tracy
You can usually drive on an international drivers license for up to a year.

And, I don't think I've needed my drivers license to buy a car. If you buy one from a private party, I certainly doubt you'd be asked for it.

I suppose people who don't have a car borrow one from a friend or something - actually, the friend would have to drive them to the testing center. Perhaps a co-worker or something?

I would suggest researching the New Jersey department of motor vehicles for the exact regulations.

Sorry, I don't remember what visa you will have, there are some restrictions for how long they will issue licenses for, depending upon the visa type and length.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:23 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Most, if not all of the information that Tracy has given you is State-dependent.

Some states only allow you to drive for 30 days on a foreign license, some allow a year. Many allow only 30 days for an out-of-state (but still US) license, but allow longer for a foreign license.

If you are entitled to a Social Security Number with your visa then I believe you have to wait to get it before you can take the test. However, if your family members are on non-work visas (like the H4) they should be able to swear or sign an affidavit saying they're not entitled to an SSN and take the test without one.

Even if you're allowed to drive for a year on your UK license, I suggest you don't. We did, and it just means putting off the inevitable, and paying $$$ for car insurance in the meantime.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Tracy
When you arrive in the US apply for a Social Security number immediately...you will need one and life will be difficult until you have it.

If you have a valid UK licence you will only have to sit a multiple question verbal test. Do not give in your UK licence...it is not a requirement in NJ. You can drive on your UK licence for 60 days. Take your passport with you as they will want to see your visa. Take a look at NJ DMV website:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/...n-Citizens.htm

If you are considering leasing or obtaining finance for a car you will have to provide an insurance certificate before the car dealer will allow you to take possession of the car.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 11th 2007 at 1:36 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Tracy

check this out tracy http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/FirstTime.htm
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit View Post
I presume they already have a UK licence if so this is the page they need:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/...n-Citizens.htm
Old Mar 11th 2007, 1:41 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to drive to obtain your NJ License if you have a current UK license, it's a knowledge test only. Brush up on this.

NJ Handbook

You will need to meet the 6 point ID to apply for it.

6 Point ID

Sample test here.

Sample test

Good luck, I failed my theory first time much to everyone on BE's amusement. That will teach me to read the handbook first.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 2:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

check the other driving thread on NJ...

You can use drivers ed person's car for the test, or a rental, you don't have to own it...just have to show proof that it's road legal...and you can use your international license for a month..you don't need a license to buy a car, tho in NJ, you do to register it, but judging by the pillocks that "drive" there, a one handed epileptic monkey on crack could pass the test....sorry Gruff
Old Mar 11th 2007, 2:38 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

We bought our vehicles from a dealership in GA using an International Driving License and an insurance binder.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
We bought our vehicles from a dealership in GA using an International Driving License and an insurance binder.
No such thing as an International Drivers License, and you do not need a translation if its in English.

A Dealer Insurance Binder is likely to be horribly expensive.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 7:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Boiler. Someone else who knows the difference between a country's driver's license and an international one.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

MartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of lightMartinF is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
No such thing as an International Drivers License, and you do not need a translation if its in English.

A Dealer Insurance Binder is likely to be horribly expensive.
To clarify... there exists in the world a document called an "International Drivers License". However, it's not a driving license, in the sense having one bestowes the right to drive. It is simply a translation document, translating what's on your National driving license into English.

BTW When using a UK license to rent a car (in the USA), you will need to show the little plastic ID type card AND show the big green piece of paper.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by MartinF View Post

BTW When using a UK license to rent a car (in the USA), you will need to show the little plastic ID type card AND show the big green piece of paper.
Cobblers!! I've rented cars atleast 8 ot 9 times and NEVER shown the paper part of the licence.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 9:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
The permit is handy though if you've an old license that doesn't have the photo...but other than that, it's pretty worthless...
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

An Internional Drivers Permit

I find it hard to believe anybody here would know there is a paper counterpart, I have mine but until mentioned I had completely forgotten about it.

Completely gutted when I could not find my old paper license, would have had some fun when asked for a DL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.