British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving licences (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-licences-433823/)

dbj1000 Mar 11th 2007 11:18 pm

Re: Driving licences

Originally Posted by Rushman (Post 4507670)
Cobblers!! I've rented cars atleast 8 ot 9 times and NEVER shown the paper part of the licence.

I thought the same thing, but then last year I was turned away from an Avis car rental in London because I couldn't show my UK paper counterpart. I was absolutely furious, and after telling them what I thought of them they brought out the manager, who claimed that it was a legal requirement to always see the paper counterpart to any UK license presented.

I then went to a Hertz and had the same problem. They showed me their printed rules where they now state that it is required to show both the card and the paper license to hire a car in the UK.

...so I went to a different office and showed my US license :)

Then later in the year I watched as Avis turned away TWO people in front of me for not having their paper counterparts.

I don't know if it was always a rule, but was ignored, or if it's a new rule, but they seem to be much tougher now. Not a problem if you have a US license to show though.

NOTE: This ONLY applies when renting a car IN THE UK on a UK license. Over here they don't know a paper part exists.

Bob Mar 11th 2007 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 4508154)
Completely gutted when I could not find my old paper license, would have had some fun when asked for a DL.

My UK license is still the old paper one, never needed to change the address on it, never got any points on it, so no point in changing it for a new photo one, too much of a tight git...and it's valid till I'm 70 instead of valid for 10 years :D

Bob Mar 11th 2007 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000 (Post 4508207)

NOTE: This ONLY applies when renting a car IN THE UK on a UK license. Over here they don't know a paper part exists.

and it only applies if you have a photo license, if you've got an old paper one, they still have to accept it.. :)

Jerseygirl Mar 11th 2007 11:58 pm

I thought the same thing, but then last year I was turned away from an Avis car rental in London because I couldn't show my UK paper counterpart. I was absolutely furious, and after telling them what I thought of them they brought out the manager, who claimed that it was a legal requirement to always see the paper counterpart to any UK license presented.

I then went to a Hertz and had the same problem. They showed me their printed rules where they now state that it is required to show both the card and the paper license to hire a car in the UK.

Then later in the year I watched as Avis turned away TWO people in front of me for not having their paper counterparts.

I don't know if it was always a rule, but was ignored, or if it's a new rule, but they seem to be much tougher now. Not a problem if you have a US license to show though.

UK rental companies charge a lower rate for a UK licence.

MartinF Mar 12th 2007 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Rushman (Post 4507670)
Cobblers!! I've rented cars atleast 8 ot 9 times and NEVER shown the paper part of the licence.

Let's keep this conversation friendly and polite please.

I can tell you from MY personal experiences that, when making a booking, some rental companies Web Sites explicitly tell you to take the paper copy. And some rental clerks do ask to see both parts.

So you've never been asked for the paper part of your license... but maybe that's because the counter staff haven't read the memo from Head Office (saying they need to see it), or maybe the counter staff think your license is from New England (and so don't think the rule applies to you), or maybe the one rental company you use don't require it, or maybe... well, we could go on like this.

(and yes, I have personally encounter all of those situations too!)

MartinF Mar 12th 2007 12:23 am

... I then went to a Hertz and had the same problem. They showed me their printed rules where they now state that it is required to show both the card and the paper license to hire a car in the UK....

I was in a similar situation in the UK (with Hertz) a couple of years ago.
However, the very nice clerk told me they could phone the DMV get the confirmation they needed that way. (BTW The reason they need to see the paper part is verify your driving history). She said they usually charge £15 it, but because I was a Gold Car member, they waive the fee.

So, all I needed to do was talk to the DMV agent to confirm that they could release over the phone my personal details: all in all it took about an extra 15 minutes to sort out.

However, this was a couple of years ago now, and I think Hertz have changed their policy since then.

If you use a US license whilst driving in the UK, and you get a speeding ticket (what with all the cameras, it's an easy thing to do!), no points go on your license (yes, you still pay the fine - the rental company pays and charges your credit card).

I rented from Enterprise in Feb last year, at SFO, and was asked. I also rented with National in Oct last year, in another town, and wasn't asked.

frrussre Mar 12th 2007 12:42 am

Originally Posted by mcc22 (Post 4506481)
Ok another question has arisen, we move to USA 31May first month we will be living in Manhattan so don't really need a car however we are then moving to New Jersey, Chesterfield, Burlington.

We will need to buy cars and obviously take a driving test, however someone has now mentioned that we can not buy a car without a valid licence and that we cannot sit a test without our own vehicle.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tracy

Easy, get your learners permit (Go to DMV), call up a local driving school, take your 3 or 5 hour silly video course, then book their car for the driving test & they will even get you a quicker test/cancellation. They will charge you for 2 hours. Thats how I did it in Manhattan, many many years ago.
Reg. Frank R.
Ps. Jersey "Use" to swap UK for NJ licenses, no test. Not sure if they still do. Check NJDMV

dbj1000 Mar 12th 2007 1:00 am

Originally Posted by MartinF (Post 4508289)
Let's keep this conversation friendly and polite please...

Bollocks to you mate! :D

Your 21st post was to tell Rushman to be polite... too frickin' funny! I'll just sit back and enjoy the show.

mandpete Mar 12th 2007 1:20 am

Before you can buy a car from a reputable dealer in NJ you have to have proof of insurance. Our local Ford garage arranged insurance through a local broker but we paid way over the odds as we were starting from scratch, I think it was something like $1600 for 6 months for a Focus. Four years later I pay about $800 a year for my RAV4 (through NJM).

Jerseygirl Mar 12th 2007 1:23 am

Ok another question has arisen, we move to USA 31May first month we will be living in Manhattan so don't really need a car however we are then moving to New Jersey, Chesterfield, Burlington.

We will need to buy cars and obviously take a driving test, however someone has now mentioned that we can not buy a car without a valid licence and that we cannot sit a test without our own vehicle.

Thanks
Tracy

For car insurance...ask your/your husband's employers if they are members of NJ Manufacturers. They are the best and cheapest insurance company in the state.

Rushman Mar 12th 2007 4:44 am

Let's keep this conversation friendly and polite please.

I was

I can tell you from MY personal experiences that, when making a booking, some rental companies Web Sites explicitly tell you to take the paper copy. And some rental clerks do ask to see both parts.

So you've never been asked for the paper part of your license... but maybe that's because the counter staff haven't read the memo from Head Office (saying they need to see it), or maybe the counter staff think your license is from New England (and so don't think the rule applies to you), or maybe the one rental company you use don't require it, or maybe... well, we could go on like this.

(and yes, I have personally encounter all of those situations too!)

I have rented at JFK, O'Hare, Albany Intl and Burlington Airports with Hertz, Avis and Enterprise...all will a pink UK plastic licence and don't even bother to carry the paper part and have NEVER even had a clerk mention the paper part. They just accept the plastic licence and Im good to go. YUou must just have a suspicious looking face.

gruffbrown Mar 12th 2007 7:51 am

Originally Posted by frrussre (Post 4508393)
Ps. Jersey "Use" to swap UK for NJ licenses, no test. Not sure if they still do. Check NJDMV

They do, post 7 Frank.
BTW Do not hand over your UK License, they have no right to it, ask to see a supervisor.

Jerseygirl Mar 12th 2007 12:07 pm

If you look at the DMV link I posted in post #4 it states that they do not 'swap' licences. ie they do not expect you to give your old licence in. If you hold a UK licence you will only be required to take the written test.

gruffbrown Mar 12th 2007 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4509525)
If you look at the DMV link I posted in post #4 it states that they do not 'swap' licences. ie they do not expect you to give your old licence in. If you hold a UK licence you will only be required to take the written test.

What she said.

unicorndreams Mar 12th 2007 4:51 pm

Thanks
Tracy

Hi,
Thats good if in NJ you only need to do the written test.
In Missouri i had to do both even though i had a valid UK licence.
All States differ with their rules.
Take care.