Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in CA question

Driving in CA question

Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving in CA question

hello chaps - well today I took my written drivers tests and passed! Im pleased as ive been putting it off for ages.

Anyway this query is really for anyone who is currently driving in CA. As I have a full UK licence which I showed them, I have been issued with a temporary licence here in the US which gives me leave to drive unaccompanied till I think Sept

The DMV also told me that they didnt think i had to take a road test but were not 100% sure - they said i should just be issued with a full licence to drive in a couple of weeks

I thought that I did have to take a road test...anyone been thro this in CA please?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in CA question

The wife and I both had to do the behind the wheel test. What's the actual wording on the paper (just the title - eg Interim drivers license)?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
The wife and I both had to do the behind the wheel test. What's the actual wording on the paper (just the title - eg Interim drivers license)?
Thanks Geoff - i thought i would have to even tho the DMV were not sure. It says Interim Driver Licence so i guess I have till the expiry date end of sept to take the test?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I did the road test too, we went out of the parking lot, to the lights, did a three point turn on the other side of the lights and back to the parking lot
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I did the road test too, we went out of the parking lot, to the lights, did a three point turn on the other side of the lights and back to the parking lot
Thanks Mummy - I think that my DMV dont have that many out of town residents who are taking the test so they were unsure...It would be nice not to take it but hey whatever!

Hubby has a "stick shift" which I drove round a car park this morning - i only drive geared cars in the UK and i didnt like it!! I kept reaching down to my left for the gears which werent there!!!!
Think its an automatic for moi!!!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:22 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
I thought that I did have to take a road test...anyone been thro this in CA please?
I had to take the road test in CA. The DMV are fricking hopeless. I don't expect every employee to know everything, but they should at least know where to look this stuff up. Grr.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
I had to take the road test in CA. The DMV are fricking hopeless. I don't expect every employee to know everything, but they should at least know where to look this stuff up. Grr.
Thanks Moshi- i was surprised when they said i probably wouldnt have to take one!! They were very nice tho I must say - maybe cos its a small town
Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:08 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby has a "stick shift" which I drove round a car park this morning - i only drive geared cars in the UK and i didnt like it!! I kept reaching down to my left for the gears which werent there!!!!
Think its an automatic for moi!!!
I took mine in a stick shift too. At first I kept reaching on the wrong side, I skinned my knuckles a couple of times thumping the door But you get used to it fast. Then Dh bought me an automatic, he had to give me lessons for that.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to take the test too last year. We went around the block and when the instructor told me to pull back into the DMV, I thought he'd forgotten something. Nope, that was it!! After I passed, I then had to learn how to drive on the roads over here
Old Jul 31st 2012, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dek
I had to take the test too last year. We went around the block and when the instructor told me to pull back into the DMV, I thought he'd forgotten something. Nope, that was it!! After I passed, I then had to learn how to drive on the roads over here
Im having a couple of lessons before the test
Old Jul 31st 2012, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

There's a few threads on this and some horror stories , as said yes you have to do the behind the wheel test.

Noting your location if you are close I would advise taking this at Los Gatos, the DMV there is excellent.

Good Luck !
Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tilz
There's a few threads on this and some horror stories , as said yes you have to do the behind the wheel test.

Noting your location if you are close I would advise taking this at Los Gatos, the DMV there is excellent.

Good Luck !
Hi thanks! im much further North - im Humboldt County but thanks anyway. The DMV here was fine - very pleasant and i got seen very quickly but there was just this one question about the road test

I know anyway i have to take it
Old Jul 31st 2012, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

It says Interim Driver Licence so i guess I have till the expiry date end of sept to take the test?
Looks like it's the same as what the wife and I had after passing the written. It's something like 2-3 months to pass the practical so I guess Sept sounds about right.

When they issued my interim license, after arguing with front desk over what they should be doing, somebody eventually twigged what ought to happen - but had to get somebody to help, which included muttering along the lines of "we'll have to fake a pass to get the interim license". Maybe that's why they thought you wouldn't need to do the behind the wheel test! But they must have done something to prevent the physical card being sent until I actually took the test, which was about 6 weeks later.

Have a look at http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745538 for some tips about passing the test - don't worry about the title! Learn your hand signals and location of controls (windscreen wipers, emergency [parking] brake, etc).
Old Aug 1st 2012, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, you will need to take a test. Did mine last week, it was *fairly* simple but did involve more than a quick around the block. About 20 minutes, nothing too complex. I got dinged points for slowing through intersections!

I found that the online booking system for appointments didn't work for my permit and I had to ring up.

The CA DMV has a load of youtube videos on common mistakes, it's probably worth watching them to get an idea of the test process.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Looks like it's the same as what the wife and I had after passing the written. It's something like 2-3 months to pass the practical so I guess Sept sounds about right.

When they issued my interim license, after arguing with front desk over what they should be doing, somebody eventually twigged what ought to happen - but had to get somebody to help, which included muttering along the lines of "we'll have to fake a pass to get the interim license". Maybe that's why they thought you wouldn't need to do the behind the wheel test! But they must have done something to prevent the physical card being sent until I actually took the test, which was about 6 weeks later.

Have a look at http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745538 for some tips about passing the test - don't worry about the title! Learn your hand signals and location of controls (windscreen wipers, emergency [parking] brake, etc).
Thank you for the info Geoff!! much appreciated! It was fine getting my interim licence..tho the written test was harder than i thought it would be and i was quite nervous! To those who havent take it yet but who drive in the UK i say study the booklet and do the practice tests online..lots of things are different - lot is common sense as well tho

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.