Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in CA question

Driving in CA question

Old Aug 4th 2012, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in CA question

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
Robert, I think you said a few posts back that you were a US citizen? Again, I know you're trying to help, but all you're doing is muddying the waters in an already confusing situation.

However mentally stimulating you find it all, it's simply not fair to the future readers of this thread: expats who are trying to work out what the hell is going on with the not-terribly-helpful DMV.

Tourists do not need a CA license.
People who live in CA, whatever their federal immigration status, need a CA license.

Good luck with your test, CAdreaming!
Thanks!!!
Old Aug 4th 2012, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

RobertR is an unknown quantity at this point

according multiple sources that are contradictory establishing evidence for residency is different for us citizens and non citizens. For non us citizens it takes 366 days to establish residency and you have to get your license 10 days after establishing residency. You have to provide documents that prove you were physically present in california for 366 days, and documents pertaining you are not in california on a transient basis. If he supplied neither he is not a california resident. I have dual citizenship with the UK and the US by means of my mother and grandparents. Though I consider myself culturally American I am not without empathy. ill link as soon as I get home I am writing this on a cellphone.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 8:22 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobertR
according multiple sources that are contradictory establishing evidence for residency is different for us citizens and non citizens. For non us citizens it takes 366 days to establish residency and you have to get your license 10 days after establishing residency. You have to provide documents that prove you were physically present in california for 366 days, and documents pertaining you are not in california on a transient basis. If he supplied neither he is not a california resident. I have dual citizenship with the UK and the US by means of my mother and grandparents. Though I consider myself culturally American I am not without empathy. ill link as soon as I get home I am writing this on a cellphone.
There are multiple definitions of CA residency, for different purposes: tuition fees, tax, the DMV, etc.

The above information is NOT CORRECT in terms of DMV residency criteria in California.

I'm running out of politeness. Please give it a rest.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

according multiple sources that are contradictory establishing evidence for residency is different for us citizens and non citizens. For non us citizens it takes 366 days to establish residency and you have to get your license 10 days after establishing residency. You have to provide documents that prove you were physically present in california for 366 days, and documents pertaining you are not in california on a transient basis.
One reason why the many sources appear to be contradictory is because there are many different definitions of what "residency" means.

This should not be surprising.

In areas where being "resident" means that you are required to pay money to the state of California, or comply with certain California regulations (such as complying with the requirement to hold a California driver's license) merely setting foot in the state with no immediate intention of leaving may be sufficient.

In areas where it means that the state of California might end up either paying money to you or, at least, charging you at a reduced rate (eg for tuition and state run community colleges and universities) a completely different set of standards apply - which is where you see things like "366 days" etc ...
Old Aug 5th 2012, 1:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Geoff im only trying to be helpful. I would not have done as much research as i have for my benefit. Personally, I think your attitude is a bit misguided. I have admitted I was wrong with roberth's more constructive criticism which is far less bellicose than your own. I am confident however, that normally your a really good guy 99 percent of the time. Things happen and changes your state of mind and warps how you are perceiving the tone of the text you are reading it and react as such. My reply to your text was dismissive and for that I do apologize.

Again the comments about the things you need were copied and pasted from the california DMV website. If you believe that not to be the case, can you post a link to the website in which you got that information so as a means to help people that are in need for this information.

Also, no i am not confusing the 2. US permanent residency and state residency are 2 different things. You will have to register specifically for state residency.

A "temp license" is common parlance referring to the interim license. I did not clarify on that, and that is my fault.

To RobertH I did find out recently that indeed the website is incomplete as it seems to have not been updated since at least 2009. I am now aware I 94 forms are not longer used. So that part if not all was incorrect. I would appreciate if Geoff would provide links to that information but to everyones benefit.

"If you are not a US citizen,
your status may or may not allow you to establish California
residency" To Roberth it would be great if you can help me find some sites to which to find residency information. Only ones I can find are .edu sites for how to qualify for in-state tuition. What I keep seeing is you have to be in the state for 366 days then get a license within 10 days after to become a permanent state resident.

"Again, you're confusing visitors with residents" no i'm not. no malice intended.

You also do not get an interim license in the mail. They print one out for you
at the DMV as you wait for a full legal license. Also an interim license cannot be used legally for identification purposes. Federal law requires one with a photo be used.
Dude, I know you mean well, but you need to stop digging and just realise you are wrong and accept that other people are correct and are correcting your info, so that you can help with the right info in the future.

A tourist is a visitor, who doesn't need a CA license to drive in the state.

The only other resident of the state that usually doesn't need to get a license is a student studying in the state, but they usually can't be resident in the state outside of school term time, so in reality they do need to get a state license as well.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Soo update - today i got my FULL driving licence in the post - never taken a test -but it was valid till 2016!!!

After reading peoples replies on here I took myself off to the DMV to check this out as it was just odd and yep it was issued incorrectly - and i DO indeed have to take the test - the licence now has a hole in it to show its not valid BUT i can still drive till i take my test on my interim licence.

They were very nice and thanked me for going in to clarify....
Just been on US roads for the very first time - i feel like a learner!!!! its not as easy as i thought it would be this driving on the wrong (right side!!! and where i live theres loads of 4 way stop signs etc

blimey - thats 30 years of UK driving to be undone!!!!!
Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:04 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Soo update - today i got my FULL driving licence in the post - never taken a test -but it was valid till 2016!!!
I'm impressed they managed to get your albeit-incorrectly-issued license to you so quickly! It took over three months for me to get my license card after passing the practical test (so slow that my interim paper license expired while I was waiting, and then there were complications extending that).

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
After reading peoples replies on here I took myself off to the DMV to check this out as it was just odd and yep it was issued incorrectly - and i DO indeed have to take the test - the licence now has a hole in it to show its not valid BUT i can still drive till i take my test on my interim licence.

They were very nice and thanked me for going in to clarify....
I was in the DMV here on Friday; had to get my license extended, because it expired at the end of my original visa. Everyone got utterly confused and I ended up being fingerprinted and photographed for the 3rd time. Madness. Very nice staff this time, though. Glad you at least had friendly service, too. Much good driving karma to you for trying to sort it out!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Route101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do they want to retain a UK licence when you apply? Obviously it isn't helpful if they do.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:31 pm
Misses Los Angeles

Originally Posted by Route101
Do they want to retain a UK licence when you apply? Obviously it isn't helpful if they do.
No, they don't. But if you show them your UK license when you pass the written test, you should get issued with a temporary (3-month) full license. This mean you can at least drive around unsupervised.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Good. Do you need a SSN to apply though? Thanks.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:40 pm
Misses Los Angeles

Good. Do you need a SSN to apply though? Thanks.
What visa are you on?

If you are not entitled to a SSN, you don't need one to get a CA driving license. The Social Security office can issue you a formal letter explaining this, and this letter is often useful (maybe even required) when applying for your CA driving license.

If you get a SSN later, you have to notify the DMV.

My case: on J2, got license without SSN (showed letter), later applied for EAD and then got SSN, and then told the DMV.

For added fun, don't expect the DMV you visit necessarily have any clue what's going on, as evidenced by personal experience, and this thread and many more!

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Aug 16th 2012 at 10:42 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

They're not allowed to anyway - it belongs to DVLA. Though I've heard some DMVs have tried.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Jay.california is an unknown quantity at this point

You will have to tke a road test. It's not complicated at all. No manouvers!

I just drove for bout 20 ish minutes and as long as you know your road signs, you'll be fine!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:55 am
Just Joined

At least it sounds that you can drive for a short while on a temporary permit while waiting for your test so you can rent a car for that period.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

so taking driving lessons now -had 3 of them - PLEASE make me feel better and tell me im not the only one who isnt finding driving in the US as easy as i thought it would be???
Im not having any practise in between lessons cos i really dont like our stick shift car as i spend my time thinking about what gear im in and changing it with my right hand rather than thinking about which side of the road im on!!

Where i live there really isnt heavy traffic but lots of confusing one way streets - millions of 3 way and 4 way stop signs where noone seems sure who goes first and lots of cross walks which look to me like stop marks on the road!!!

ive a test the end of the month --hmm thought it would be a piece of cake now im not so sure!!!!

Make me feel better ---tell me its not only me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.