Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving across America?

Driving across America?

Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:14 am
Just Joined

ferrydreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving across America?

I'm in the uk and want to do a road trip around the U.S. iwe want to take our time up to a year maybe. we want to buy a R.V. and sell it when we finish, the stumbling block seems to be getting a visa long enough to do it . Any ideas anyone

Tony
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ferrydreamer
I'm in the uk and want to do a road trip around the U.S. iwe want to take our time up to a year maybe. we want to buy a R.V. and sell it when we finish, the stumbling block seems to be getting a visa long enough to do it . Any ideas anyone

Tony
Yeah, B2 and do it for six months and then do Canada...sorted....

Your real stumbling block is buying, registering and insurning a motor without a US fixed abode and rentals aren't cheap.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:57 am
Just Joined

ferrydreamer is an unknown quantity at this point

what is a B2 and how long do i have to be out of the states, and can i come back in automaticly or do i have to reapply for a B2 from a differant country to my homeland

Tony
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ferrydreamer
what is a B2 and how long do i have to be out of the states, and can i come back in automaticly or do i have to reapply for a B2 from a differant country to my homeland

Tony
B2 holiday visa, the visa is usually multi entry and valid for 10 years, but the officer at POE would usually not let you in for more than a six month stretch and the rule of thumb is, be out the length that you were in before trying to come back.

Getting the visa isn't easy if you could ordinarily use the VWP though, especially if your not in retirement age.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Starbucks66
I’m thinking that driving across the US could be a good way to see a lot of it for my holiday next year (3 weeks). I live in Boston, I’m thinking of driving in a hire car to the west coast and flying back.

Has anyone on here driven across the US, if so do you have any tips or advice?
I have done it many times.

in a semi though.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Manc
I have done it many times.

in a semi though.
and you don't need a visa
Old Sep 7th 2008, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crunch
On the other hand, you could say to hell with it and just go. dont plan a thing and see what happens. That could well be just a fantastic. enjoy.
That can definitely be fun! A girlfriend and I went on a 10 day vacation once. Aside from deciding on a roadtrip we didn't have any definite plans. We ended up driving south through Kentucky, on to Nashville, on to Memphis. After a couple of days there we thought - hmmm ... never been to Arkansas, and we're so close! We ended up driving down to Hot Springs, AK through Little Rock before turning back, and visited Mammoth Caves in KY on the way back north. It was a great trip, and very loosely planned.