Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving across America?

Driving across America?

Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:59 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving across America?

Originally Posted by Jabba1
The US is a relatively small country, not much to see I'm afraid. You should be able to drive arcross in no time, say about 30 mins to an hour.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:36 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Seeing as you have only three weeks and having read that it took a BE member months to drive across the US, have you considered an Amtrak trip?

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...2922209&ssid=4
and there's also a PDF of all the routes in the US on that page.

Let the train take the strain.
I'm an American and think AMTRAK SUCKS!!!! Your best bet is to keep with your own mode of transport. Don't give too much control of your itinerary over to those derailing delayed bastards. Here's a story for you. I have an aunt who lives in St. Louis and was coming to visit me in Kansas City. It's about a 4 hour drive if you only stop for gas and food. Well she didn't want to be alone on the road and chose Amtrak for travel. She left the 'Lou around 4 and was expected around 9. She got in at ****ing 2:30 in the morning.:curse: Totally wrecked me at work the next day. So the moral of the story is drive your own car or RV across the country. It shouldn't take you too long if you trim up your trip.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:24 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I'm an American and think AMTRAK SUCKS!!!! Your best bet is to keep with your own mode of transport. Don't give too much control of your itinerary over to those derailing delayed bastards.
What she said.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:58 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Keep an eye on the Top Gear re-runs on BBCA....a few food tips on buying an old heap for a one way trip and selling it at the other end...Also some good info on keeping in with the locals on the way.....
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:44 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Starbucks66
I’m thinking that driving across the US could be a good way to see a lot of it for my holiday next year (3 weeks). I live in Boston, I’m thinking of driving in a hire car to the west coast and flying back.

Has anyone on here driven across the US, if so do you have any tips or advice?
Mass Pike to I-90 to Niagara.
I-90 to Cleveland
Cleveland to Columbis OH 1-71
Columbus OH on I-70 as far west as you can take it.
through Indianapolis
St Louis and the Arch
Kansas City
to Denver.

at this point you have th option of going up I-25 to Wyoming and rejoining 1-80 across to San Fran, going further north and joining i-90 again over to Montana / Oregon and the rest of the PNW

or keep going on 70 over the Eisenhower to Grand Junction colorado and onto Utah.

Arches Natl Park in Utah and wild senery.

then join I-15 through a corner of Arizona and the Virgin river canyon.
through Vegas on I-15 onto LA through the Mojave.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 12:59 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Keep an eye on the Top Gear re-runs on BBCA....a few food tips on buying an old heap for a one way trip and selling it at the other end...Also some good info on keeping in with the locals on the way.....
Do NOT write, 'Man Love Rocks' on the side of your car if you're going to be in Alabama!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:33 am
Just Joined

jayg is an unknown quantity at this point

Watched that episode and they almost got themselves into really big big trouble.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:39 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

It might be a cheap romantic option but it's not a wise choice. This country is huge and there are areas that are very sparse. The last thing that you need is to break down somewhere in the middle of a desert or highway that's not traveled much. Having reliable transport is a must. Rent a car and have the piece of mind that if anything happens to it you can have it replaced in the closest city where the company is located. I say this because I was in a position where I had to get a replacement rental. If this had happened to me and it was my car, I would have been SOL.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 3:24 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Duh...reposted with for those that haven't seen the episode................
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Take I-84 from MA to OR, you will see amazing things ! and it won't cost you a fortune in tolls

I have done it as I worked a few times, without taking day at seeing places and 10 hours per day it should take about 5 days in a good car. If you really do the tourist bit it will take 2 weeks or more one way.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Do NOT write, 'Man Love Rocks' on the side of your car if you're going to be in Alabama!
....in pink....on a white pick-up.....brilliant !!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Starbucks66
I’m thinking that driving across the US could be a good way to see a lot of it for my holiday next year (3 weeks). I live in Boston, I’m thinking of driving in a hire car to the west coast and flying back.

Has anyone on here driven across the US, if so do you have any tips or advice?
We drove Corpus Christie, TX to San Diego - took about 21 hours driving time.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh sweet memories of when I was 13 years old and me, my sisters and mum and dad came to the States for our summer holiday.
We hired a HUGE Winebago, started in Los Angeles - not sure the exact routes but we visited San Francisco, San Diego, Yosemite, The Joshua Tree (in some godforsaken desert) The Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and mile upon mile of the Nevada desert... in the hottest part of summer! (In fact I have a clear memory of my flipflops melting when we stopped at a service station on our way to Las Vegas!)
Oh thems were the days.
Alright we didn't see the rest of America but it was a cracking holiday all the same... And that Winebago rocked!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I've done two round trips. Once (outdoorsy trip New York to California) 70 to 44 to 40 to California 395, back to 15 to 70 an then 70 clear across the country. That gets you Palo Duro Canyon, Petrified National Forest, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Sequoia, Vegas, Zion National Park, Arches/Canyonlands/Dead Horse Point, Rockies (Vail), the Kansas Plains, and then a bunch of boring Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

The second time, I did (one way with a friend from Boston to LA) 95 to 4 to 75 to 10 to Florida 98 and then back to 10, Texas 90, back to 10 all the way to LA. This gets you Richmond, Savannah, Daytona Beach, Disney World, the Florida Panhandle (Pensacola), Mobile AL, New Orleans, Houston, San Antonio, Big Bend, El Paso, Saguaro, Tuscon/Phoenix, Sonoran, Joshua Tree, LA.

I prefered the second route as a more fun drive (I got to live my Smokey and the Bandit fantasies), but the highlights of the first are clearly tops.

Tips: give yourself at least a month and take it slow. Drive four hours at a stretch and then switch off with a partner, no more. Don't drink lots of water, you'll just be stopping to pee all the time. Buy a bunch of food and a big cooler and do all picnics, it's cheaper and better than eating crap at truck stops. Check your car out thouroughly befor setting out and run your tires at the top of the recommended pressure. Don't pre-plan to death and be prepared to stop everywhere (we almost didn't hit Palo Duro the first time and it was a truly amazing place, we would have missed out). If you do go to a restaurant, find a locally-owned place (institute a strict no-national-chains policy). Break the no-chains policy to hit Waffle House. Get good hiking shoes. Stay at Best Westerns (cheap and much cleaner than most other chains) but camp out at least half the time. Get a $500 GPS. Etc.
I'm jealous, wow sounds like great trip. We talk about it every year, then do something else. Ah! one of these days.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Google auto drive away - they move peoples cars for them but use ordinary people as drivers - basically you find out if there is a car needs delivering where you are going and they cover the insurance and provide the car. You pay the gas and speeding tickets! The down side is that you have to get the car there by a certain time, although they do build in a bit of time for sight seeing!

I drove LA to Chicago doing this a few years ago and it was great. I also have friends who vacationed this way - you deliver a car and see what they have waiting to go out and take the one you fancy! Great fun and saves renting costs.

Last edited by Big D; Dec 1st 2007 at 2:04 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.