Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving across America?

Driving across America?

Old Dec 1st 2007, 5:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving across America?

Originally Posted by Big D
Google auto drive away - they move peoples cars for them but use ordinary people as drivers - basically you find out if there is a car needs delivering where you are going and they cover the insurance and provide the car. You pay the gas and speeding tickets! The down side is that you have to get the car there by a certain time, although they do build in a bit of time for sight seeing!

I drove LA to Chicago doing this a few years ago and it was great. I also have friends who vacationed this way - you deliver a car and see what they have waiting to go out and take the one you fancy! Great fun and saves renting costs.
I forgot about that... my family did this when we were moving back from Spain in the early 70s. Dead broke, in NYC and needed to be in California.. Mom, Dad and 2 fighting kids.. what a joy!
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:23 am
Just Joined

hullabroad has a spectacular aura abouthullabroad has a spectacular aura abouthullabroad has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Starbucks66
I’m thinking that driving across the US could be a good way to see a lot of it for my holiday next year (3 weeks). I live in Boston, I’m thinking of driving in a hire car to the west coast and flying back.

Has anyone on here driven across the US, if so do you have any tips or advice?
I drove from Seattle to Orlando, a total of 3,200 miles and took me four and a half day's staying in hotels at night. I would not have missed it, it was great I want to do it again. go for it.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hullabroad
I drove from Seattle to Orlando, a total of 3,200 miles and took me four and a half day's staying in hotels at night. I would not have missed it, it was great I want to do it again. go for it.
eek - did you speed? That's sounds quick!
Old Dec 16th 2007, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Get your kicks on route 66.

Jack Kerouac's book 'On the Road' you gotta love it, anyone have an on the road book they'd recommend?
Old Dec 16th 2007, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Drove from Phoenix to San Francisco in 8 hours, not a world record but I was pushing it.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 12:28 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
anyone have an on the road book they'd recommend?
http://www.amazon.com/Road-Fever-Tim...7898056&sr=8-5
Old Dec 17th 2007, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

wow!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 1:50 am

Lord Knows is an unknown quantity at this point

Get your kicks on route 66.

Jack Kerouac's book 'On the Road' you gotta love it, anyone have an on the road book they'd recommend?

This gets to heart of the country....
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Highways-.../dp/0316353299
Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Drove from Phoenix to San Francisco in 8 hours, not a world record but I was pushing it.
Drove from Phoenix to San Francisco in 12 hours, not a world record but I was pushing it.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lord Knows
This gets to heart of the country....
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Highways-.../dp/0316353299
Thanks for the recommendations.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:40 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome book, I read it back when it came out. I love how, out of a 500 page book about driving from Terra Del Fuego to Prudhoe Bay, the first 490 take place south of the Rio Grande. Apparently, drving through the entirety of the States and Canada was so boring in comparison to happenings south of the border that it hardly bore mentioning.

Sidenote: everything by Tim Cahill is fantastic. His latest collection of short stories "Hold the Enlightenment" may be the best thing he's done. He's like a slightly unhinged Bill Bryson.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

We just drove from Astoria OR to Phoenix, took the I 84 down to Salt Lake then cut over the mountains on route 6 and South on 191 and 491 through New Mexico stopping at the four corners and finally into Phoenix through Show Lo and Globe.
It was fun but I wouldn't recommend the Northeren part in winter.

2050 miles and we took 5 days, one puncture and one cracked windscreen, the frost got to a stone chip in Utah!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

belbest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Starbucks66
I’m thinking that driving across the US could be a good way to see a lot of it for my holiday next year (3 weeks). I live in Boston, I’m thinking of driving in a hire car to the west coast and flying back.

Has anyone on here driven across the US, if so do you have any tips or advice?
We took the greyhound bus from New York to Los Angeles (only 4 days!) what an experience that was. Then hire a car and drive back to the east coast.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Blue Highways is definitely worth reading, even if his trip was back in the seventies IIRC. 'River Horse' is also quite an interesting read, crossing the continental US on a boat.

As to driving across, my wife & myself did SF to Daytona Beach in about eight days. During the first five we managed to see the major sights out West like the Grand Canyon and Death Valley in full bloom, but from West Texas on we just kept driving.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

And here are the bits that left off the first post, sorry:

IMHO the really spectacular scenery is out West, but that may just be me.

Three weeks sounds OK as a taster to me, but it'd probably feel too short and you'll spend a lot of time in the car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.