Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does this suck or what

Does this suck or what

Old Jun 4th 2004, 2:12 am
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
I too have a chip on my shoulder regarding morons, especially those that can't accept that the United Kingdom is one country, not 4 separate countries.

I don't have any problem with anyone referring to one country (especially when its obvious that they are really referring to all four) but too many times I have heard Scottish, Welsh, Irish and English nationalists complaining about the fact that we are joined...and that find it hard to accept that we are joined for a very good reason.

It would be to the detrement of all four if we truly decided to go our own ways. In order to make the UK a better place, we need to respect the fact that we have always and will always do better remaining the 'United' Kingdom we are.

Anyway, all this is totally irrelevant to the actual debate, so I'm done!

That entire post is irrelevant mate. It's not even remotely relevant to what I said earlier.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 2:31 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by jambo_2004
That entire post is irrelevant mate. It's not even remotely relevant to what I said earlier.
Your post just struck me as being from someone that is opposed to the Union being united and your being very pro-Scottish independance...are you not?
Old Jun 4th 2004, 2:44 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Tony is in the slightest bit Pro-Scotland in adverse to pro-Britain.

The way it's going we're all gonna be EU citizens soon anyhoo.......
Old Jun 4th 2004, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
I don't think Tony is in the slightest bit Pro-Scotland in adverse to pro-Britain.

The way it's going we're all gonna be EU citizens soon anyhoo.......
If you're interested, the European Parliamentary Elections take place next week throughout the 25 EU countries, and voting in the UK takes place on Thursday, 10 June. Watch out for the UK results and see how the UK Independence Party (UKIP) does in the polling...it wants a complete break from the EU and total independence as the name suggests.

UKIP seems to have considerable support in the country if you take note of phone ins on radio and tv and a rash of election posters all over the place, more than any of the other parties. What is interesting though, is that this support is much stronger among older people. Here at uni it's hard to find students who support UKIP so it seems we're more in keeping with things European. Some older people still have negative attitudes to Germans which to my mind are really outdated.

I have never voted in an election before but there is no way I'd vote UKIP. Perhaps the main feature of the election will be a low UK turnout, as it is always lower here for Euro elections than anywhere else in the EU. 25% last time in 1999.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 4:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lothianlad
What is interesting though, is that this support is much stronger among older people.
It's the 'little englander' syndrome.
can't stand it myself........
Old Jun 4th 2004, 4:45 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

Your post just struck me as being from someone that is opposed to the Union being united and your being very pro-Scottish independance...are you not?
Nope I am a big supporter of the Union. I would have thought my comment about calling it UK earlier would have suggested this but whatever.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 4:56 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Nope I am a big supporter of the Union. I would have thought my comment about calling it UK earlier would have suggested this but whatever.
I sense a lot of hostility, which I don't understand really because as far as I can see, we agree with each other.

I took your comment to mean that you opposed the referral to 'England' rather than the ommission of the word 'UK'.

I apologise for pushing this issue, but in the past I have found many more Scottish, Welsh and Irish opposed to the Union than English, and it is a mind frame that I cannot understand...it just feels sometimes that we are fighting the wrong people!
Old Jun 4th 2004, 4:56 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

Originally posted by Lothianlad
If you're interested, the European Parliamentary Elections take place next week throughout the 25 EU countries, and voting in the UK takes place on Thursday, 10 June. Watch out for the UK results and see how the UK Independence Party (UKIP) does in the polling...it wants a complete break from the EU and total independence as the name suggests.

UKIP seems to have considerable support in the country if you take note of phone ins on radio and tv and a rash of election posters all over the place, more than any of the other parties. What is interesting though, is that this support is much stronger among older people. Here at uni it's hard to find students who support UKIP so it seems we're more in keeping with things European. Some older people still have negative attitudes to Germans which to my mind are really outdated.

I have never voted in an election before but there is no way I'd vote UKIP. Perhaps the main feature of the election will be a low UK turnout, as it is always lower here for Euro elections than anywhere else in the EU. 25% last time in 1999.
Intresting. Theres a lot of old folk who are still anti-european, don't like change etc. The EU has good and bad points. I'm for it as long as the UK doesnt give away too much sovereignty and there is a fair ratio when it comes to who puts what into the kitty fund...which seems to all be going to French farming. I like the idea that nations within nations are represented as well, good for Scotland and Wales.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 5:02 pm
@matthewb76

Intresting. Theres a lot of old folk who are still anti-european, don't like change etc. The EU has good and bad points. I'm for it as long as the UK doesnt give away too much sovereignty and there is a fair ratio when it comes to who puts what into the kitty fund...which seems to all be going to French farming. I like the idea that nations within nations are represented as well, good for Scotland and Wales.
surely a federal Europe could/would be just as successful on the world stage as the USA.

I am sick of this "Worlds lone superpower" gobshyte stuff. I think the EU is the well on it's way
Old Jun 4th 2004, 5:04 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

I sense a lot of hostility, which I don't understand really because as far as I can see, we agree with each other.

I took your comment to mean that you opposed the referral to 'England' rather than the ommission of the word 'UK'.

I apologise for pushing this issue, but in the past I have found many more Scottish, Welsh and Irish opposed to the Union than English, and it is a mind frame that I cannot understand...it just feels sometimes that we are fighting the wrong people!
Fair enough. Not sure who you've been talking to though, I grew up in Edinbugh and probably 95% of the people I know are happy being part of the UK. Was thinking about the comment I made just now on the EU and nations within nations...this could also be a bad thing for the UK if Scotland or Wales decide they want indipendance and if London doesnt listen Brussels might. I don't forsee this happening, if there was a majority vote in Scotland and Wales I think independance would be granted by London anyway...this hasnt happened yet because most Scots and Welsh don't want it.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 5:06 pm
dealing with it

surely a federal Europe could/would be just as successful on the world stage as the USA.

I am sick of this "Worlds lone superpower" gobshyte stuff. I think the EU is the well on it's way
I agree, and I'd like to see it happen sooner rather than later, The EU is a massive economic and social powerhouse, I fear though that its development will be slowed by the hundreds of years of cuturally diverse groups trying to agree on a common process.

There is a very fine line between retaining our own heritage and sovereingty and becoming a global force to be reckoned with, I hope we can do it, one thing is for sure though, its goign to take a lot longer to create a United States of Europe than it did to create the United States of America.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 5:12 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

Possibly. I don't forsee a United States of Europe though because we are all too different and no bugger will want to give up too much sovereignty, this would have to be done without a doubt. Language is also a barrier. And you will never get all countries to agree about a constitution. Blairs list of objections (few weeks ago in the commons) that need to be addressed will take about 10 years to be solved. Also where does the Queen fit into this idea? Not that I care about her though.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 5:14 pm
@matthewb76

Possibly. I don't forsee a United States of Europe though because we are all too different and no bugger will want to give up too much sovereignty, this would have to be done without a doubt. Language is also a barrier. And you will never get all countries to agree about a constitution. Blairs list of objections (few weeks ago in the commons) that need to be addressed will take about 10 years to be solved. Also where does the Queen fit into this idea? Not that I care about her though.
1) sovereignty......... tough one........
2) language........Hate to be blase about it, but English is the way forward.
3) constitution......... that can be worked out in the wash, America's is 200 years old and they still fiddle with it.
4) Queen, agreed, couldn't give a preverbial toss.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 5:37 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, and I'd like to see it happen sooner rather than later, The EU is a massive economic and social powerhouse, I fear though that its development will be slowed by the hundreds of years of cuturally diverse groups trying to agree on a common process.

There is a very fine line between retaining our own heritage and sovereingty and becoming a global force to be reckoned with, I hope we can do it, one thing is for sure though, its goign to take a lot longer to create a United States of Europe than it did to create the United States of America.
I give it 20 years 'till the Huns start goose stepping again, or the French so totally alienate the Brits,Spanish, Germans, Everybody else in the GD union that they all declare war on France (who conviently unrolls their handy white flag just after the commencement of hostilities... like usual).

Or perhaps, the people of Europe will simply see that another level of government is just another leech that removes 20% of the money sent in, to pay for their fancy digs in Brussels and their high falutin way of life... and vote to get out.