Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does this suck or what

Does this suck or what

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:38 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jambo_2004
I think the point about the EU is that Brits can choose to walk into 25 countries and live and work without much hassle. This is a massive freedom in my mind. Americans can only really live in their own nation...well I suppose Canada is an option but they are making this difficult to do since 911.

And here one can choose to live in any of 50 states in a geographical area similar in size to the EU with it's 25.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:56 am
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ironporer
And here one can choose to live in any of 50 states in a geographical area similar in size to the EU with it's 25.
Knew someone would say that. Not the same thing mate, you're still in the country. You learn or experience very little that's new from moving to another state. There's a vast difference from living in Rome and Paris than California and Texas.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 2:14 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

There's a vast difference from living in Rome and Paris than California and Texas.
Just a bit.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 12:46 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Not to quibble, but all things being as they are, why are there millions lined up to come here, including a huge number of Brits?

As to health care the vast majority have decent coverage, and the vocal minority have minimal, none (many by their own choice to not participate), or medicaid...which is totally free. Our system is far from perfect, and many changes can and should be made, but in only a few cases is it as bad as some make it out to be.
I work for a non-profit agency that helps people with things like rent, utilities, and medicine. Approx. 90% of the people we see are "working poor", out of those only 1 out of 50 have any type of health insurance. They earn too much to get medicaid and can't afford to pay for insurance. Many of them go without vital medicine because they have to make the choice of paying their rent, buying food etc. Some of our clients are retired and are just over the income limit to receive medicaid or medicare. Imagine having to make the choice between which meds you can afford to buy this month and which ones have to wait until the following month. There are more and more people who work that can't afford insurance. It breaks my heart to see and hear these peoples stories, so please try and remember that not everyone who does not have health insurance does it by choice.

Sue
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:27 pm
ElsieTheMaid

Excuse me, but I get tired of people saying that health care in England is free. I remember HUGE chunks of NHS taxes coming out of my paycheck.

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:42 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

yes - its paid for taxation so is not really free, BUT i get a similar amount coming out of my US paycheck for medicare but don't receive any benefit from it !!!

what bullshit is that? paying for something i don't/can't access???
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 1:59 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ElsieTheMaid
Excuse me, but I get tired of people saying that health care in England is free.
They didnt, they said health care in the UK.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 2:05 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritGuyTN
yes - its paid for taxation so is not really free, BUT i get a similar amount coming out of my US paycheck for medicare but don't receive any benefit from it !!!

what bullshit is that? paying for something i don't/can't access???
Then don't look at the social security contribution you make every week then- as with medicare, you won't see anything from it 'till 65...and it's a hell of a lot more (plus the matching amount paid by your employer!). Of course if you die and have surviving children they would get SSI, or maybe you could be disabled....
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Then don't look at the social security contribution you make every week then- as with medicare, you won't see anything from it 'till 65...and it's a hell of a lot more (plus the matching amount paid by your employer!). Of course if you die and have surviving children they would get SSI, or maybe you could be disabled....
I saw what my husband is expected to get as a pension when he retires (long time away thankfully) and it's a lot of money. His mother died last year and I couldnt believe what she was getting and a total contrast from the terrible UK pensions.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:17 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

They didnt, they said health care in the UK.
you havin a laugh mate?

you must be Scottish or Welsh I suppose, with that chip on your shoulder about the countries terminology...get over it.

UK/England who cares, we all knew what was meant
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:27 pm
ElsieTheMaid

Originally posted by Chopper-Chris
you havin a laugh mate?

you must be Scottish or Welsh I suppose, with that chip on your shoulder about the countries terminology...get over it.

UK/England who cares, we all knew what was meant

Well....being that I'm from England, I personalized it. Didn't mean to offend anyone

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:31 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by ElsieTheMaid
Well....being that I'm from England, I personalized it. Didn't mean to offend anyone
I do the same all the time, England just rolls off the tongue (or fingers) than UK, plus, when people ask me where I'm from, I always say England, I know it upsets some people from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and maybe its a bad habit, but please, if it only takes that much to upset people, then they need to get out more.

:lecture:
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:50 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of money?!?!

do you call $13k a year a lot of money? if you do then fair enough - if you don't then your're possibly confusing social security payments with a 401k

'If you have been working all your life contributing the maximum to the Social Security system, you could receive over $13,000 at your normal retirement age ($20,000 for a couple).'
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 6:59 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritGuyTN
A lot of money?!?!

do you call $13k a year a lot of money? if you do then fair enough - if you don't then your're possibly confusing social security payments with a 401k

'If you have been working all your life contributing the maximum to the Social Security system, you could receive over $13,000 at your normal retirement age ($20,000 for a couple).'
isn't the UK?
£78 per week
less than £6000 per year.
Old Jun 3rd 2004, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally posted by manc1976
isn't the UK?
£78 per week
less than £6000 per year.
That works out too just over £4,000 a year!

Just went to the US Social Security on line calculator that give projections. At today's rate if my husband retired at 62 he would get $1,500 per month, rising to $2,000 per month and around $2,500 per month at 70. Bit different to the UK. How anyone can survive on 78b quid a week is beyond me.

Last edited by AlisonPA; Jun 3rd 2004 at 9:28 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.