Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does this country make any sense to anyone?

Wikiposts

Does this country make any sense to anyone?

Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:41 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does this country make any sense to anyone?

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Like I said, 1,001 good things either side, just pick your items!
I will go for the Sales of Good Act
and the advertising Standards ..
Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:46 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Seriously now:

Anyone who responds to a complaint or comment about how naff the US can be with the standard, "Well if you don't like it - why don't you just go home?" comment, should be immediately shot through the head and their body dumped in the desert.
I don't generally wish violent death on people who make posts that annoy me, but save some space in the desert grave for people who make the converse post: those who say "if Britain's so great, why don't you live there" when you object to their portrayal of Britain as some kind of apocalyptic third world shit hole.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:57 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I don't generally wish violent death on people who make posts that annoy me, but save some space in the desert grave for people who make the converse post: those who say "if Britain's so great, why don't you live there" when you object to their portrayal of Britain as some kind of apocalyptic third world shit hole.
No time or energy anymore for people who have no time for someone's sensibilities. Life is just too short.
Can't imagine they miss the attention anyway.

But - getting back to the OP's issues.

Have you tried to analyse (as practically as possible) the issues that are causing the discomfort? Maybe making a list and comparing it to your OH's will reveal the order of things which you should tackle so that life is improved?
Then some sort of plan to change them - one by one. The ones you can. The ones you simply cannot, then can you mitigate them?

I tend to look at a problem as being lots of small ones all bundled together. Its hard to solve a big problem unless you have a nuke. Solving little ones eventually removes the overall issue. Thats the theory, anyway. I think - still working on it tho.

Last edited by Xebedee; Jan 14th 2008 at 7:09 am. Reason: afterthoughts
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:39 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Does this country make any sense to anyone?

Wouldn't it be hard to live anywhere on one income with a family of four kids and two adults? So, why come to live in the US under those conditions?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:15 am
Account Closed

exexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
Surely its not just me. Im so fed up of this country and its silly red tape, no protection on purchases, rip off people, medical insurance, different state laws etc, etc, etc.
Im so done with this place, I dont know how people can live like this, its like it all got slammed together by a drunken monkey (actually he could probably do a better job!) and so backwards and primitive its a joke.
We spent years trying to move here and didnt know what it was really like until we spent many years living here finding out. I really wish we had listened to all the people saying dont do it, that did live here.

Ho hum
British Airways operates dozens of flights every day between various American cities and the United Kingdom. If you're not happy here and feel you would be happier back home in the UK, why stay and moan when you could just go home?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:40 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exexpat
British Airways operates dozens of flights every day between various American cities and the United Kingdom. If you're not happy here and feel you would be happier back home in the UK, why stay and moan when you could just go home?
Have you considered diplomacy as a career move?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:46 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Its just an opposing view to yours .....
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exexpat
Wow, did you think up that response all on your own?
Congrats, you are the winner of this second.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Yes, but certainly not helpful to the OP.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
You get 2 much sun Ray? or just rosy avatar?
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hey Gypsygirl...I think I understand what you are trying to say. Someone once said to me that the US isn't better or worse than the UK...just different. I've tried to remember those words over the years.
same shit, different stink...but i've said those words a few times....easier said than to feel when your feeling glum about things though ain't it
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE]
Some expats do at times find themselves is a very difficult place and they deserve the right to vent, a listening ear and a little support, not just practical advice.
Fair enough. But here's a fact I think needs to be faced. Americans are, in my opinion, the most helpful and positive people on the planet (with the exception of the Thais!). Helpful and positive to the point of being gullible and naive, even. I've found that, if you ask an American for help or advice, they will give it freely, but ... if you continue to moan and groan, they will quickly grow tired of you and move on to other things. So - if the OP goes around telling all her local friends how crap this country is, how this is wrong, how that is wrong, etc, then she'll very quickly find herself without many friends - at the exact time she NEEDS friends more than usual.

I've concluded that 'complaining' is a British specialty; it may seem normal to other Brits, but it goes across like a lead balloon to Americans and it can negatively impact the outcome of events. Developing a positive attitude, and conveying it to others, has a material impact on events.

Again, I wish the OP the very best of luck!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

People don't have to be crunts about it though do they...not that I'm implying anything.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The OP gives no specifics; they give no indication of where they are, what kind of work they are in, etc. They deserve this kind of response unless they go into specifics and perhaps ask a question about how they can IMPROVE their situation. If they said, 'can anyone help', 'anyone have any suggestions', etc, then they would get better responses. In my opinion, if you don't like your situation here you can move elswere within the US and have a completely different experience.

BTW, I LOVE the fact that the states are all different; gives you a choice. Want redneck/religious/republican shit - go to Utah; want liberal/heathen, go to CA. Want to drive 140 mph, go to Nebraska (or wherever it was they eliminated the speed limit). The issues of states rights is a super-cool aspect of the US.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:08 am
Account Closed

exexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

It's precisely what Brits told me when I moaned about life over there.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

or reading the thread...but hey...why bother

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.