Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does this country make any sense to anyone?

Does this country make any sense to anyone?

Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Does this country make any sense to anyone?

Surely its not just me. Im so fed up of this country and its silly red tape, no protection on purchases, rip off people, medical insurance, different state laws etc, etc, etc.
Im so done with this place, I dont know how people can live like this, its like it all got slammed together by a drunken monkey (actually he could probably do a better job!) and so backwards and primitive its a joke.
We spent years trying to move here and didnt know what it was really like until we spent many years living here finding out. I really wish we had listened to all the people saying dont do it, that did live here.

Ho hum
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:15 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does this country make any sense to anyone?

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
Surely its not just me. Im so fed up of this country and its silly red tape, no protection on purchases, rip off people, medical insurance, different state laws etc, etc, etc.
Im so done with this place, I dont know how people can live like this, its like it all got slammed together by a drunken monkey (actually he could probably do a better job!) and so backwards and primitive its a joke.
We spent years trying to move here and didnt know what it was really like until we spent many years living here finding out. I really wish we had listened to all the people saying dont do it, that did live here.

Ho hum
Go back then; there are plenty of others that would love to take your spot. My DH loves it here.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:17 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Ho hum
You sound like a lot of people on here, it's a case of grin and bear it or move on
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:32 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Ho hum
I'm sorry you're having a rough time. Remember, God loves you!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Go back then; there are plenty of others that would love to take your spot. My DH loves it here.
What a glib response!

Do you have *any* idea of the complexities of some people's life, and the multitude of factors that may preclude a move back?

The last thing someone who is completely fed up and homesick needs is being told to "go back if you don't like it"..

Honestly, I had not expected this of you...
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Thanks Tamms, that about sums up my opinion. If I went to another country and couldn't stand living there, I don't think I would stay. Now, I'm sure I would compare here and there, and complain about what I wouldn't like, that is only normal. But if I was "fed up with it", why stay? But this is a pretty cut and dry approach, which is easier said than done of course. Good luck to the OP, whatever he/she decides.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Thanks Tamms, that about sums up my opinion. If I went to another country and couldn't stand living there, I don't think I would stay. Now, I'm sure I would compare here and there, and complain about what I wouldn't like, that is only normal. But if I was "fed up with it", why stay?
FFS what *is* it with you people? Can't you see further then your own bleeding noses?

:curse:
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Tamms, that about sums up my opinion. If I went to another country and couldn't stand living there, I don't think I would stay. Now, I'm sure I would compare here and there, and complain about what I wouldn't like, that is only normal. But if I was "fed up with it", why stay?
Well try being completely broke with 4 kids and no work to go back to and we have been here soooo long we cant afford to live in the Uk anymore anyway. We havent even been able to visit since we moved here.
You know the saying of walking in other peoples shoes...
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
FFS what *is* it with you people? Can't you see further then your own bleeding noses?

:curse:
I try to keep things simplified. She either wants to stay & try to work things through, or go back home. She used the words "I am so fed up with this country". Sounds like a person that is pretty unhappy & wanting to return home. Now I know it isn't easy to move, but if she's that unhappy why stay?

Now if the OP is simply having a rant as we are all wont to do (even a lot of Americans complain about their country & what we want to change) that is different.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:50 pm
Homebody

I try to keep things simplified. She either wants to stay & try to work things through, or go back home. She used the words "I am so fed up with this country". Sounds like a person that is pretty unhappy & wanting to return home. Now I know it isn't easy to move, but if she's that unhappy why stay?

Now if the OP is simply having a rant as we are all wont to do (even a lot of Americans complain about their country & what we want to change) that is different.
Are you for real?

I recommend a read of the MBTUK Forum - maybe, just maybe, you might get an idea of some of the difficulties some people face!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Ho hum
ignore the go back remarks (Comment should be banned), no one wants to hear them. I have been here a long time, what I have to learned to do is stop fighting the riptide and flow with it. Lots of things still annoy me, but I have learned to go with the flow, it will make your life here much more enjoyable. Its not easy leaving your family, friends & your previous lifestyle behind.
I moved from NYC to South Florida, 1.5 years ago, now trying to fathom out a whole new bunch of sillinesses. I use to annoy people by saying "We never did that in UK", now I say "We never did that in NY". Good luck, hang in there.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:01 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Well try being completely broke with 4 kids
this is the root of your problem

I'm happy with my life here at the moment

being broke with 4 kids would alter that state very quickly

I suspect living anywhere broke with 4 kids would make anyone sane miserable

having some discretionary spending and being able to afford some small luxuries can make a worl of difference to your outlook on life

try and increase your income by getting additional jobs etc
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Same old story since you joined here in June ...
How about making a decision ..one way or the other
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

GG, it does to me and I know that is because I'm an American. The system of federal and state governments can be a pain and even worse is when you factor into that equation, county and city governments. The country, however, was founded on the principal of state sovereignty.

It is difficult for immigrants to understand our system just as it was and is very difficult for me to understand and see the wisdom of the workings of the Canadian government.

I honestly do not understand where you are coming from with this purchase protection and ripping off people as a government issue. To me, it would seem to be government giving itself just another arm into your personal decisions.

While I'm sorry you are so disappointed and unhappy, you do have the option as Tamms said to leave the US and return to the UK to live and work. If you are here for love and unhappy, take a page from some of the BE members who have left their spouses because they were so unhappy and divorced and returned home.

Again, sorry that you found that the differences in our country's government and our way of life is not to your liking.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Surely its not just me. Im so fed up of this country...... I really wish we had listened to all the people saying dont do it, that did live here.

Ho hum
Well, if it's any consolation to you the weather "back home" here in the UK is (BLEEP) crapito - day after day of rain and floods and gales and grey skies and then more rain and floods and gales and grey skies and the radio weather reports lady on BBC Radio Five Live Drive program now says that from tomorrow we can expect rain and floods and gales and grey skies. Last week here in Edinburgh we had snow and ice and cold winds......now it's going to be rain and floods and gales and grey skies.

I'd stay put in America if I was in your position.

I really don't believe there is any Government anywhere in the world which is more of a "rip off" load of tossers than the current UK Government. Looks like it's going to get worse, too.

Last edited by Lothianlad; Jan 14th 2008 at 3:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.