Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Old May 6th 2007, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Originally Posted by haggerwood
The first few sentances of this don't even make any sense. I will try to answer what I think your were trying to say though. My point is that the language of "English" has developed with lots of influences from Latin, German, French, Celtic etc down the years all the way back to the first folks who lived there. By comparison if your country is "mulitcultural" then the equivalent would be if you had a language today called "American" which had its roots in Native American dialects with strong influences from the Spanish (Who since you don't know did get here BEFORE the Enlgish crossed the Atlantic) and English and French etc. Anyway only respond to this if you have worked out what the discussion is about.
What didn't you understand? That Britons came over here to settle, or that they brought "your" language and all of its origins with them? And of course America is multi-cultural and that's where you get the slang that you hear. And I didn't say that the English were here before the Spanish. But are you saying that the American language (English) is derived from the Native Americans? With strong influences from the Spanish? You're pretty funny Hag....

Carry on.....
Old May 6th 2007, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I already left Alabama and live in Florida where people refer to "The black school,college and nightclub as well." That being said Alabama is just as much a part of the US as anywhere else. I am sure if I go to Mississippi, Kentucky, Georgia, Texas or Iowa I will find things to be much the same. You can't have an OP on here stating that only London is multicultural in the UK but the whole US is and then proceed to exclude whole US states from the debate that everybody knows to be backward.
There is more to this country than Alabama and Florida, Hag. Which only proves my point that you are extremely narrow minded and until you learn more about this country or history.....you're pretty easily ignored. There are differences in the South compared to where I live, the Pacific Northwest. But then you just don't know that, or perhaps you can regale me with more of your assumptions?
Old May 6th 2007, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by britvic
But didn't your older Daughter decide to stay there ? I'm not saying it's bad over here either, just different, at the end of the day it's up to any of us what we want for our Children.
Yes she did, Vic. I miss her terribly as well. But, she has a fiance now (boyfriend then) and well you know how that goes Vic...... I'm not saying its bad over there either, I have very, very fond memories of my time there. I was married there, our child was born there.....we probably would have stayed there......but, I have family here that need me and that comes first.
Old May 6th 2007, 7:04 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
What didn't you understand? That Britons came over here to settle, or that they brought "your" language and all of its origins with them? And of course America is multi-cultural and that's where you get the slang that you hear. And I didn't say that the English were here before the Spanish. But are you saying that the American language (English) is derived from the Native Americans? With strong influences from the Spanish? You're pretty funny Hag....

Carry on.....
I didn't say English is derived from native American and clearly my post was too advanced for your intellect to comprehend. This thread is about whether British people want to become American and mid thread the poster turned it into a debate about multiculturalism. Since you have no comprehension of either the thread topics or the ability to make relevant or reasoned points then I am left with no choice but to ignore you as several posters already have advised me to do during your previous attempts at arguing with me.
Old May 6th 2007, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I didn't say English is derived from native American and clearly my post was too advanced for your intellect to comprehend. This thread is about whether British people want to become American and mid thread the poster turned it into a debate about multiculturalism. Since you have no comprehension of either the thread topics or the ability to make relevant or reasoned points then I am left with no choice but to ignore you as several posters already have advised me to do during your previous attempts at arguing with me.

Whatever, Hag. Clearly you didn't understand my response to your post. Previously you've been in error as well. It doesn't surprise me that this post is any different. Cheers.
Old May 6th 2007, 7:19 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

The first few sentances of this don't even make any sense. I will try to answer what I think your were trying to say though. My point is that the language of "English" has developed with lots of influences from Latin, German, French, Celtic etc down the years all the way back to the first folks who lived there. By comparison if your country is "mulitcultural" then the equivalent would be if you had a language today called "American" which had its roots in Native American dialects with strong influences from the Spanish (Who since you don't know did get here BEFORE the Enlgish crossed the Atlantic) and English and French etc. Anyway only respond to this if you have worked out what the discussion is about.
We do have words and names that ARE based on Native American words. Any large city with an Irish or Chinese or Polish or German population has input from their cultures. Even our accents here have been affected by "who" settled from "where."

This might be an interesting read for you regarding the UK influence-Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America by David Hackett Fischer. It's the first volume in a projected series on the cultural history of the US. I got hold of this thanks to a poster here several years ago.

There is some interesting info out there, at least two books that I know of on the Vikings exploring and settlement attempts in the US and that certainly predates Columbus, Cabot, Vespucci et al. Then again, there's the theory about Irish priests led by St Brendan crossing the Atlantic in a curragh-something I wouldn't care for!!

Although this has some religious references that may be considered non essential information, there are some interesting theories on this site that may indeed show just how multicultural the US was from the git go.
http://www.uhcg.org/Lost-10-Tribes/tracing-dan5.html
Old May 6th 2007, 7:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I could take up cheerleading
Yes...let's set up a BE Cheerleading team.
Old May 6th 2007, 10:10 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

So your theory that the US is more multicultural than England is based on the premise that 500 years ago some losers left England because at that point in time their church was not in vogue. The fact that when they got to the US they massacred the Indians who had given them food and then founded a society built on the slave trade where only 40 years ago black people were given the same rights as whites seems to have slipped past you.

We were learning about multiculturalism in the UK thousands of years ago when the celts met the druids and then the Romans came on over. We mixed it with Angles, Jutes, Saxons, Vikings, Normans etc. We developed our language and culture from all of their influences and today have a truly multicultural society. What do you have ? Hmmm well you use our language and you have done your best to destory Indian culture by killing many of their people and sending the rest to reservations in the desert. You held back Black people down until 40 years ago. Today you are patrolling the borders to keep out Hispanic people. Your schools teach little or nothing about world history and you folks develop your own sports that no one else in the world plays and then have the temerity to call the best US teams in a US league "World champions."
Oh come on.you are being too kind!
Old May 6th 2007, 10:22 pm
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lothianlad;4744315]
Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I

However,aren't there clubs where mostly Scots,Welsh or Irish attend in the UK?

Yep.....most larger towns and cities in England seem to have Scottish Societies/Clubs and as far as I know the Welsh and Irish equivalent, but I've never heard of any for the English in Scotland - or Wales and Ireland for that matter
Thank you Lothianlad.The point I was making there are clubs or schools all over the world that cater to a specific target audience and not always based just on race or color of skin.There have been wars faught in Europe from the Balkins and beyond mainly due to religious differences.
Old May 6th 2007, 10:45 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
You didn't answer the question.How would you feel if an American was living in the UK taking a job that could have been filled by a Brit and yet complaining about how the UK owes him something? I thought it was a fair question worthy of a open honest response.
Oh, but if you phrase the question like that, then here's my answer:

There isn't one single American who can do my job. Simple as that.

My presence here is deemed "in the National Interest" by the USCIS, the DOL, the State Department and the Department of Defense. I haven't taken a US job - I have chosen to provide my skills and expertise to America. You, as a US individual, don't owe me anything, but I sure as hell don't owe this country anything either.

If I met this hypothetical Nascar-loving, whinging Yank in London... I would not be the least surprised. There are many things in the UK to complain about, and the many Americans I have met in the UK often find it an intolerable place to live. Equally, no American I've ever met has considered that they are expected to assimilate - apparently it's only expected of immigrants to your country, not from it.

So, you can harp on about assimilation till you're blue in the face, but I will remain British even once I am a US citizen, and I do not intend to do anything to actively dissolve my national identity in your country's melting pot. And you know what? American will be better for that fact. Much of my skills and abilities are closely wrapped up in my British mentality, and to assimilate into US corporate culture would be to neutralize most of what makes me valuable to your country.
Old May 6th 2007, 10:52 pm
Banned

Actually I already left Alabama and live in Florida where people refer to "The black school,college and nightclub as well." That being said Alabama is just as much a part of the US as anywhere else. I am sure if I go to Mississippi, Kentucky, Georgia, Texas or Iowa I will find things to be much the same. You can't have an OP on here stating that only London is multicultural in the UK but the whole US is and then proceed to exclude whole US states from the debate that everybody knows to be backward.
You are not quoting me correctly.I never said only London was multicultural.I highlighted London to point out that there is multiculturalism in the UK.And what is so bad about African,Latino or Italian Americans having places were they can gather and have a meeting of minds and ideas? It doesn't mean others are excluded. Have you ever bothered to learn more about those places by actually going to a black school to take a class?

What about enjoying a night out at a Latino dance club? You might learn something about your self if you were to give it a try.You more than likely would learn that you have formed the wrong idea and have focused on a label("black clubs") instead of looking at the substance.But its only human to error and you are not the first to look at the trees and not the forest!
Old May 6th 2007, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

My presence here is deemed "in the National Interest" by the USCIS, the DOL, the State Department and the Department of Defense. I haven't taken a US job - I have chosen to provide my skills and expertise to America. You, as a US individual, don't owe me anything, but I sure as hell don't owe this country anything either.

If I met this hypothetical Nascar-loving, whinging Yank in London... I would not be the least surprised. There are many things in the UK to complain about, and the many Americans I have met in the UK often find it an intolerable place to live. Equally, no American I've ever met has considered that they are expected to assimilate - apparently it's only expected of immigrants to your country, not from it.

So, you can harp on about assimilation till you're blue in the face, but I will remain British even once I am a US citizen, and I do not intend to do anything to actively dissolve my national identity in your country's melting pot. And you know what? American will be better for that fact. Much of my skills and abilities are closely wrapped up in my British mentality, and to assimilate into US corporate culture would be to neutralize most of what makes me valuable to your country.
Cool. What do you do, if you'd care to say?
Old May 6th 2007, 11:06 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Cool. What do you do, if you'd care to say?
I'm expert in an extremely esoteric aspect of Semiconductor Engineering. Basically I work with materials on the atomic scale, and help make chips that see in the dark.
Old May 6th 2007, 11:09 pm
Banned

Its not just my country its your's as well.I do believe there are cultural differences that help to form our attachments to patriotism.I've heard Brits say that Americans are more naturally patriotic compared to Brits.Now whether that is true or not, more than likely is down to the individual.But maybe there is some truth to that opinion?
Old May 6th 2007, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm expert in an extremely esoteric aspect of Semiconductor Engineering. Basically I work with materials on the atomic scale, and help make chips that see in the dark.
And here I was thinking you made Marmite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.