Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Old May 6th 2007, 11:18 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'm expert in an extremely esoteric aspect of Semiconductor Engineering. Basically I work with materials on the atomic scale, and help make chips that see in the dark.
Coolio-nachos that can act as flashlights in the movie theatre!!
Old May 6th 2007, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'm expert in an extremely esoteric aspect of Semiconductor Engineering. Basically I work with materials on the atomic scale, and help make chips that see in the dark.
How interesting. And good for you - I'm for - let the best man win (the job) - not tremendously protective of "our" jobs.
Old May 6th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Its not just my country its your's as well.I do believe there are cultural differences that help to form our attachments to patriotism.I've heard Brits say that Americans are more naturally patriotic compared to Brits.Now whether that is true or not, more than likely is down to the individual.But maybe there is some truth to that opinion?
If you're going with generalisms then .....

I think there is yes, and I believe it comes mainly from the fact that the US is extremely insular and force fed patriotism from a very young age. I posted a while ago in MBTTUK on how I felt about the effect of the right wing media in the UK. They have taken it to a counter productive other extreme.

That said, there are many patriotic Brit's, but we display it entirely differently.

It's been said on here before, but I will repeat it. A Brit will say Britain is a great country, an American will say America's the greatest country. That is the difference, and I would argue is what gets most peoples backs up.

Last edited by Tootsie Frickensprinkles; May 6th 2007 at 11:59 pm.
Old May 6th 2007, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
If you're going with gerneralisms then .....

I think there is yes, and I believe it comes mainly from the fact that the US is extremely insular and force fed patriotism from a very young age. I posted a while ago in MBTTUK on how I felt about the effect of the right wing media in the UK. They have taken it to a counter productive other extreme.

That said, there are many patriotic Brit's, but we display it entirely differently.

It's been said on here before, but I will repeat it. A Brit will say Britain is a great country, an American will say America's the greatest country. That is the difference, and I would argue is what gets most peoples backs up.
Afraid I'm with you (I'm sure I will now be disowned...)
Old May 6th 2007, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Coolio-nachos that can act as flashlights in the movie theatre!!
Old May 6th 2007, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles

I recall someone posting something interesting on here a few years ago.

They were watching a show on Britain's great cathedrals and the host of the show started a sentence off with 'Salisbury (or whatever) Cathedral is the greatest..'....their thought automatically went with '..in the world'. The host went on to say, '...in the country'.

I think that says it all.
Old May 6th 2007, 11:59 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Its not just my country its your's as well.I do believe there are cultural differences that help to form our attachments to patriotism.I've heard Brits say that Americans are more naturally patriotic compared to Brits.Now whether that is true or not, more than likely is down to the individual.But maybe there is some truth to that opinion?
Unless you offer your definition of "patriotism", this post will cause more misunderstandings than any others in this thread. Without getting into any question of the depth of patriotism, you must understand that where Americans tend to be very demonstative about their patriotism, Brits are reticent, except where their football team is concerned.

Until someone from this background of reticence, begins to understand America and Americans, the surface display of American patriotism tends to look like jingoism.
Old May 7th 2007, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Unless you offer your definition of "patriotism", this post will cause more misunderstandings than any others in this thread. Without getting into any question of the depth of patriotism, you must understand that where Americans tend to be very demonstative about their patriotism, Brits are reticent, except where their football team is concerned.

Until someone from this background of reticence, begins to understand America and Americans, the surface display of American patriotism tends to look like jingoism.
ITA, and given the British cultural characteristic of enjoying self-deprecation, it also hits of outright arrogance, and ignorance (at it's worst), whether or not it is or isnt.
Old May 7th 2007, 12:09 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen

you've got it PG by jove you've got it
Old May 7th 2007, 12:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that's it is a case of one more patriotic than the other, just that one is more in your face about it.
Old May 7th 2007, 12:59 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Neither.
Old May 7th 2007, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Neither.
Where's the rest of your post????? Surely you have more to say than that?!?!
Old May 7th 2007, 1:09 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conisby
The tunnel has been backfilled, and all plans destroyed.

The misses (USC), talked me into it (did'nt take much), Wigan is certanly Wigan, it will always be home, me dad still resides in sunny Goose Green, so always a connection and a reason to travel back every year, if ya want any pies bringing back just let me know .
hang on ..whose pies are they

I would love for someone to import Peter's Chinese chippy from Poolstock lane ..surely one of the finest eateries in the world ....in fact there is a website for Wigganers living abroad and I think Peter's has more mentions than any other food dispenser in the district.... Before I came to the USA I lived with my brother in Marus Bridge ...just off Clapgate lane ...I'm from Golborne originally ..........so Marus Bridge was a step up the food chain
Old May 7th 2007, 1:14 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Its not just my country its your's as well.
No it's not it's just a place where I live. One of the other differances between England and the US is the fact that when we get foreigners (e.g. cricket players from SA and NZ) to play for our teams we make plenty of jokes about it and don't try and pass them off as English even though in most cases their parents are English. In contrast Americans will hand a US flag to any mercenary at the height of their career (e.g. Navratilova, Seles, Lendl just to name some Tennis ones) and celebrate wildly at the USA's success.
Old May 7th 2007, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
hang on ..whose pies are they

I would love for someone to import Peter's Chinese chippy from Poolstock lane ..surely one of the finest eateries in the world ....in fact there is a website for Wigganers living abroad and I think Peter's has more mentions than any other food dispenser in the district.... Before I came to the USA I lived with my brother in Marus Bridge ...just off Clapgate lane ...I'm from Golborne originally ..........so Marus Bridge was a step up the food chain
lol......feel the same way about Wong's Chinese in Jennyfields (can't remember the road name) (Harrogate) <drool>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.