Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Old May 6th 2007, 5:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Sound like less than half of you want to be American or even want to be in America.Maybe its just a choice of economics? If I were to move to England I would fly the Union Jack more than the Old red white and blue because I would owe it to the country which gives me shelter and took me in as one of their own.But that is just me.
very black and white way of looking at life...no middle ground?

what your saying in essence, if you moved state you'd completely forgo your previous state and be up for the new state, not bitch about anything that might niggle in the new state etc....
Old May 6th 2007, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
PS I learned that in US World History class.
The devil you say!! You actually learned World history in school?????? Hey, so did I.....
Old May 6th 2007, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
The devil you say!! You actually learned World history in school?????? Hey, so did I.....
Oh dear, I seem to sense a second revolutionary war brewing...

NEITHER country is better imo - they're both different.

Peace....
Old May 6th 2007, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I was chatting to my Brit friends Teen's over here and was surprised that Geography or rest of the world history was not on there curriculum, I know it's not all the same every where over here before someone pipe's up.
Old May 6th 2007, 5:38 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Sound like less than half of you want to be American or even want to be in America.Maybe its just a choice of economics? If I were to move to England I would fly the Union Jack more than the Old red white and blue because I would owe it to the country which gives me shelter and took me in as one of their own.But that is just me.
I didnt fly a flag there and I'm not flying one here, my Dad's Irish my Mum's Italian. I've spent first half of my life in England, now I am here, I might go somwhere else one day, so whats the point of tying oneself to a flag?

I am contributing to the US by being here, I dont owe anybody anything, I am paying my taxes and working hard, if they could have got an American to do my job they probably would have I was the best candidate and didnt take anyones job.

I like it here and when this country gets its head around freedom of speech it will be alright.
Old May 6th 2007, 5:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have.Not a long time just over a year.Was a wonderful experience and I made every effort to assimulate into the culture of my host country.Its the right thing to do.It has always bothered me when other Americans go to a different country and not make the effort to accept the cultures and traditions of that country.Its very much like being a poor guest.Why even go if you refuse to adapt and blend in?
The big difference I notice...one bitches at home amongst friends and family, and the other just bitches to anyone who will listen.

There's nothing wrong with not liking things and bitching, but there's a time and a place for it.
Old May 6th 2007, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Oh dear, I seem to sense a second revolutionary war brewing...
Not hardly, Tracy.....don't worry about it.

And yes you're right, neither country is perfect.

Peace right back at ya!
Old May 6th 2007, 5:42 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I was subbing in a middle school last week and a student asked where I live.
I said, 'I am here in California for only a short time, but I have a home in New Zealand'.
'Where's New Zealand?'
I held up a globe, 'You're here in California. New Zealand is waaaay over here across the Pacific'.
'How long does it take to get there?'
'Uh, maybe thirteen hours or so on the plane'.
'Noooo, I mean, how long if you're driving?'

' '
Old May 6th 2007, 5:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

.....Don't you agree that Americans are more receptive to immigrants than the Brits in England?Not including London of course.BTW,I honor and respect your excellent efforts to take part in giving to charitable organizations.
now we know your taking the mick....mexicans anyone? sure, you love them and treat them and any other south american with full respect.
Old May 6th 2007, 5:46 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The big difference I notice...one bitches at home amongst friends and family, and the other just bitches to anyone who will listen.

There's nothing wrong with not liking things and bitching, but there's a time and a place for it.
Amen.
Old May 6th 2007, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by britvic
I was chatting to my Brit friends Teen's over here and was surprised that Geography or rest of the world history was not on there curriculum, I know it's not all the same every where over here before someone pipe's up.
Well its been awhile since I was in school.....but I do distinctly remember taking World History in 9th grade. It was one of my favorite classes. And geography was taught throughout school - in elementary is my earliest memory. We didn't have one particular geography class. The class I worked in last year (first grade, which is 6 and 7 year olds) were being taught geography. My 5 year old is being taught geography. Can you imagine, Vic, not ever being taught any form of geography?
Old May 6th 2007, 5:48 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Not hardly, Tracy.....don't worry about it.

And yes you're right, neither country is perfect.

Peace right back at ya!
Second revoultionary war brewing...........

TEA!! Get it?

I'll just get my coat, shall I?
Old May 6th 2007, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
I was subbing in a middle school last week and a student asked where I live.
I said, 'I am here in California for only a short time, but I have a home in New Zealand'.
'Where's New Zealand?'
I held up a globe, 'You're here in California. New Zealand is waaaay over here across the Pacific'.
'How long does it take to get there?'
'Uh, maybe thirteen hours or so on the plane'.
'Noooo, I mean, how long if you're driving?'

' '
You just feel lost for words when a comment is made like that well I choose not to say what I really want to say in that situation.
Old May 6th 2007, 5:53 pm
Sursum corda

Well its been awhile since I was in school.....but I do distinctly remember taking World History in 9th grade. It was one of my favorite classes. And geography was taught throughout school - in elementary is my earliest memory. We didn't have one particular geography class. The class I worked in last year (first grade, which is 6 and 7 year olds) were being taught geography. My 5 year old is being taught geography. Can you imagine, Vic, not ever being taught any form of geography?
I had Civics in 9th Grade, World History in 10th, European in 11th and US History in 12th.

I only had Physical Geography as a specific geography class and that was in college. I liked Geology better.

Missed out on South America though 'cuz we moved.
Old May 6th 2007, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It might well have been taught in the earlier years of school, but being as my friends kids have only been over here for two years it is not being taught in there age group now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.