Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Old May 6th 2007, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Want To Be An American,or Just Live There?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I had Civics in 9th Grade, World History in 10th, European in 11th and US History in 12th.

I only had Physical Geography as a specific geography class and that was in college. I liked Geology better.

Missed out on South America though 'cuz we moved.
All that education......deary, deary me.
Old May 6th 2007, 5:57 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
All that education......deary, deary me.
and that dear friends, is why I'm a travel agent.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
It might well have been taught in the earlier years of school, but being as my friends kids have only been over here for two years it is not being taught in there age group now.
I don't think they do specific geography classes here (that I know of, and education can be different in different regions) so perhaps your friend was looking for something that was similar from the UK.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:02 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they do specific geography classes here (that I know of, and education can be different in different regions) so perhaps your friend was looking for something that was similar from the UK.
My son had World Geography twice, once in DODDs school in NL and then here the next year.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and that dear friends, is why I'm a travel agent.
Imagine that! And here I thought we were only qualified to dig ditches and sit on our porches with our animals...... Can't imagine that there are people actually qualified to be doctors and such......
Old May 6th 2007, 6:04 pm
Sursum corda

Imagine that! And here I thought we were only qualified to dig ditches and sit on our porches with our animals...... Can't imagine that there are people actually qualified to be doctors and such......
Well I wanted to be a pirate and if I couldn't do that I wanted to be a lumberjack.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

She's a Teacher over here as well, they are going back home in June, she wants her kids to do there A'levels.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well I wanted to be a pirate and if I couldn't do that I wanted to be a lumberjack.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by britvic
She's a Teacher over here as well, they are going back home in June, she wants her kids to do there A'levels.
I don't know what to say except that it can be very different to the UK. That doesn't necessarily mean its bad or good between the two. I made a mistake moving my older daughter to the UK when I did because she had just started high school here and over there the kids were sitting their GCSE's at or near her age. I certainly wouldn't try and move an older child into either school system unless there was some kind of backup plan.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what to say except that it can be very different to the UK. That doesn't necessarily mean its bad or good between the two. I made a mistake moving my older daughter to the UK when I did because she had just started high school here and over there the kids were sitting their GCSE's at or near her age. I certainly wouldn't try and move an older child into either school system unless there was some kind of backup plan.
But didn't your older Daughter decide to stay there ? I'm not saying it's bad over here either, just different, at the end of the day it's up to any of us what we want for our Children.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:21 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Ah the Druids were Celts and the Normans were originally Vikings...........

PS I learned that in US World History class.
Yeah ORIGINALLY but the Normans came from France to England since we are pretty multicultural in Europe so when they displaced other ruling classes who were also from Viking origins we saw it as England versus France since all the cultures had been assimilated. Also I know you're no spring chicken so maybe education has gone downhill here since your day but I have a work colleague who studied history as her major at University of Florida and recently she revealed that she had always thought tha Spain was part of England. This was because in history she learnt that Spain discovered America and then it was ruled by England so she filled in the blanks that your education system missed.

Last edited by Haggerwood; May 6th 2007 at 6:34 pm.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:23 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

How can we use "your" language when the early settlers were British? And of course they were the ones killing off the Indians (Native Americans) first. And do you think the average British citizen was learning history as it was happening, or just trying to stay alive as the Romans (etc....) conquered?

I still think you need to get off of that soapbox you're on.....either that or leave Alabama and experience the rest of the US. Might help your narrow mindness a tad......but then again.....
Actually I already left Alabama and live in Florida where people refer to "The black school,college and nightclub as well." That being said Alabama is just as much a part of the US as anywhere else. I am sure if I go to Mississippi, Kentucky, Georgia, Texas or Iowa I will find things to be much the same. You can't have an OP on here stating that only London is multicultural in the UK but the whole US is and then proceed to exclude whole US states from the debate that everybody knows to be backward.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:30 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by haggerwood
Yeah ORIGINALLY but the Normans came from France to England since me are pretty multicultural in Europe so when they displaced other ruling classes who were also from Viking origins we saw it as England versus France since all the cultures had been assimilated. Also I know you're nos spring chicken so maybe education has gone downhill here since your day but I have a work colleague who studied history as her major at University of Florida and recently she revealed that she had always thought tha Spain was part of England. This was because in history she learnt that Spain discovered America and then it was ruled by England so she filled in the blanks that your education system missed.
Assimilated is a diplomatic term for what occured-

My son was a history major and thankfully he is better informed ,especially since he now wants to teach history.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Second revoultionary war brewing...........

TEA!! Get it?

I'll just get my coat, shall I?
I wish I was clever enough to have done that on purpose. Worked out well though
Old May 6th 2007, 6:43 pm
Banned

How can we use "your" language when the early settlers were British? And of course they were the ones killing off the Indians (Native Americans) first. And do you think the average British citizen was learning history as it was happening, or just trying to stay alive as the Romans (etc....) conquered?

I still think you need to get off of that soapbox you're on.....either that or leave Alabama and experience the rest of the US. Might help your narrow mindness a tad......but then again.....

The first few sentances of this don't even make any sense. I will try to answer what I think your were trying to say though. My point is that the language of "English" has developed with lots of influences from Latin, German, French, Celtic etc down the years all the way back to the first folks who lived there. By comparison if your country is "mulitcultural" then the equivalent would be if you had a language today called "American" which had its roots in Native American dialects with strong influences from the Spanish (Who since you don't know did get here BEFORE the Enlgish crossed the Atlantic) and English and French etc. Anyway only respond to this if you have worked out what the discussion is about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.