Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Old Jul 3rd 2010, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Originally Posted by Steerpike
"Without a car, I would not be able to ..."
"Without a gun, I would not be able to ..."

Without a car... I can manage and do so on a daily basis as my DH takes ours to work.

Without a gun ... well that scenario wouldn't occur but I can tell you that I feel safer knowing that I could protect myself if the need arose.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 12:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepgirluk
Without a gun ... well that scenario wouldn't occur but I can tell you that I feel safer knowing that I could protect myself if the need arose.
But your more likely to get stabbed before getting the gun out, or if they intend on shooting you, shooting you before you get a chance to get the gun out.

Sure it works out for some people, those well trained, but more often than not, it doesn't, they'll flub it when push comes to shove and your confronted with a kill situation.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

The 'feel good' notion that a gun protects you in this kind of situation is, in my mind, childish and naive. Robbers may carry weapons but would prefer not to use them. But - you go your way, I'll go mine ...
Agreed. I've never understood the mentality of feeling safer when carrying a gun. Whose the first person a bad guy will target? The one with a gun of course. I suppose the "have-a-go-at-it" lot feel they can handle it...until they die in a shootout! For the same reason, arming teachers in a school is not a bright idea
Old Jul 4th 2010, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how much training this 70-year-old great grandmother had: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...t.html?sid=101
Old Jul 4th 2010, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

The 'feel good' notion that a gun protects you in this kind of situation is, in my mind, childish and naive.
I wonder if these California residents agree with you

one

two

three

four

five

six
Old Jul 4th 2010, 2:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I wonder if these California residents agree with you
And how many more gun owners just got themselves or other people around them killed?

Just because it works for some doesn't mean it's a great idea.

Nothing wrong with gun ownership, but thinking you are safer because of a gun is a little odd.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob

Nothing wrong with gun ownership, but thinking you are safer because of a gun is a little odd.
I feel safer. I don't think it's odd at all.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
But your more likely to get stabbed before getting the gun out, or if they intend on shooting you, shooting you before you get a chance to get the gun out.

Sure it works out for some people, those well trained, but more often than not, it doesn't, they'll flub it when push comes to shove and your confronted with a kill situation.
I hope that I'm never presented with such a situation. I would also hope that I wouldn't hesitate to put into action everything I have learnt so far and will continue to learn. I would rather have and not need...
Old Jul 4th 2010, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, did you have a gun in the UK or have you recently acquired one?
Old Jul 4th 2010, 3:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

might feel it, but you really aren't, and having the gun puts you in a higher risk of something happening, not to mention most people end up getting hurt with their own weapons.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Out of curiosity, did you have a gun in the UK or have you recently acquired one?
Recently acquired and loving it!
Old Jul 4th 2010, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Recently acquired and loving it!
I just found that a little curious. Do you feel like the US is more dangerous or would you have preferred to have a gun in the UK as well?
Old Jul 4th 2010, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
might feel it, but you really aren't, and having the gun puts you in a higher risk of something happening, not to mention most people end up getting hurt with their own weapons.
We have to agree to disagree then. Some people love them, some people hate them and over here a lot of people have them.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Loving a gun.

No, I can't understand that.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I just found that a little curious. Do you feel like the US is more dangerous or would you have preferred to have a gun in the UK as well?
I don't believe that the US is more dangerous - well that actually depends which state you live in but where we live it is moderately calm and peaceful. I would have loved to have had a gun in the UK but the laws are very different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.