Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:11 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I'm less certain. The counter argument is that people don't commit crimes in the expectation of being caught. Of course, then it becomes a question of perception and calculation of probabilities and risk, a complex calculus which we know folks are notoriously poor at.
Whatever.

Some people keep their nose clean, not because they are honest and good and moral, but rather solely because the consequences are too costly. I do not think this is necessarily the vast majority of the population though ... that's why I worded my response the way that I did.

EDIT TO ADD: To clarify, I'm also including in this example people who have had brushes with the law yet never reoffend.

Last edited by Leslie; Jul 2nd 2010 at 8:20 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:22 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

It would freak me out being handcuffed. It's also humiliating.
Which is why I always carry a standard handcuff key on the inside of my belt, which is just the perfect height for access should one be unfortunate enough to be detained. Undetectable too.

So here's a thought - how would you restrain a one armed suspect? Cuff his hand to his belt loop? Not strong enough. A belt? Kind of defeats the purpose.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:33 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
It would freak me out being handcuffed. It's also humiliating.
Which is why I always carry a standard handcuff key on the inside of my belt, which is just the perfect height for access should one be unfortunate enough to be detained. Undetectable too.

So here's a thought - how would you restrain a one armed suspect? Cuff his hand to his belt loop? Not strong enough. A belt? Kind of defeats the purpose.
I actually believe that humiliation is a very effective crime deterrent.

One arm? Handcuff the hand to the opposite leg. That would be pretty humiliating.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Just give him some paper to hang, should keep him busy.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:40 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I actually believe that humiliation is a very effective crime deterrent.

One arm? Handcuff the hand to the opposite leg. That would be pretty humiliating.
That's not going to work. A handcuff won't go around someone's ankle. Leg cuffs are bigger.

Plus, how would the suspect sit in the Crown Vic on the way to the station?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:41 pm
Peace onion

I shouldn't go here, but what about thalidomide?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:45 pm
WTF?

Well it's not like they're such a threat that they really need to be restrained. I mean what can they do?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:53 pm
Peace onion

They can speak. Hitler whipped a whole country into a frenzy using the written and spoken word. Free speech can be very dangerous.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:53 pm
WTF?

That's not going to work. A handcuff won't go around someone's ankle. Leg cuffs are bigger.

You could hook the handcuff to the leg cuff. Sort of like they do when they use five sets of handcuffs on huge fat people.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:55 pm
WTF?

They can speak. Hitler whipped a whole country into a frenzy using the written and spoken word. Free speech can be very dangerous.
Just stuff something in their mouths then - it's not like they can stop you. And gouge out their eyes to be safe.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:30 pm
Peace onion

But they could choke. They have those spit hoods. Perhaps a ring-gag.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Dying out breed aren't they?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:08 pm
WTF?

But they could choke. They have those spit hoods. Perhaps a ring-gag.
What?!?!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:28 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by Bob
Dying out breed aren't they?
Yes, I think they stop production in 2011. The Crown Vic has an independent chassis, not monocoque. Can handle a lot of abuse.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think they stop production in 2011. The Crown Vic has an independent chassis, not monocoque. Can handle a lot of abuse.
When you finally pass from these fine acres up to the great big yonder in the sky, I hope you donate your brain to science because it's got to be a one-of-a-kind!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.