Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Old Jul 4th 2010, 3:27 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you think police and laws are too tough in USA?

Another chance to see my next gun ...

Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:24 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Mare's leg? He he. That hot chick in Firefly/Serenity had one of those. No, not that one. The other hot chick.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:38 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
and having the gun puts you in a higher risk of something happening,
That's an old argument that has been shown to be an example of a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. IIRC, it all started with a study in Canada that ignored the fact that the victims lived in very high crime neighbourhoods.

Originally Posted by Bob
not to mention most people end up getting hurt with their own weapons.
This, on the other hand, is just plain incorrect.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Ray
Another chance to see my next gun ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mrpyh9ij4f8
I fancied one of those, but then decided that restoring one of these would be more fun. It arrives next week.

Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Mark23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Good luck. A lot of people get in trouble when they are young and foolish ... it by no means needs to define who you are for the rest of your life.
Thanks. Looking at it now I'm probably lucky that what happened to me was away from home (eventhough that made it harder at the time) as I don't have a criminal record here so it shouldn't be too bad when going for jobs and that.

It's just bad that I won't be able to go to the USA again for 10 years I think anyway - so much more I would liek to see over there.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
That's an old argument that has been shown to be an example of a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. ...
Come on, cat-man, the language of this forum is English

I know for a fact that I'd be less safe with a gun.

If I were to devote considerable time to learning how to use the device, which would involve going to firing ranges, paying others for their time (lessons, etc), practicing, and so on, then MAYBE I'd be closer to having a skill level that just may help me. But even if I practice, that would be in a controlled environment. If I were to wake up in a dark room and saw a shadow in the hallway, would I be able to protect myself? Would I kill my house-guest accidentally who just got up for a glass of water ...? Would I shoot and miss, now revealing my location and also revealing that I am a threat to the invader? Would I shoot, and find the invader was unarmed, and end up going to jail for shooting an unarmed person...

Not for me ... I KNOW I'm no Rambo ...
Old Jul 4th 2010, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

If I were to devote considerable time to learning how to use the device, which would involve going to firing ranges, paying others for their time (lessons, etc), practicing, and so on, then MAYBE I'd be closer to having a skill level that just may help me. But even if I practice, that would be in a controlled environment. If I were to wake up in a dark room and saw a shadow in the hallway, would I be able to protect myself? Would I kill my house-guest accidentally who just got up for a glass of water ...? Would I shoot and miss, now revealing my location and also revealing that I am a threat to the invader? Would I shoot, and find the invader was unarmed, and end up going to jail for shooting an unarmed person...

What you would need to do is hire someone like Cato to keep you on your guard 24/7.

Old Jul 4th 2010, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark23
It's just bad that I won't be able to go to the USA again for 10 years I think anyway - so much more I would liek to see over there.
Well, it's a big world! In the meantime see as much outside the US as you can. Ten years will pass before you know it.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike

In which case, please allow me to translate your post into plain English.

"I don't like it that a fallacious argument has been debunked, so I'll witter on about the use of Latin in an attempt at misdirection.

Anyway, with a gun loads of unlikely things could go wrong - here's a list.

And another thing!!! You all think you're Rambo!!!!! "
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

In which case, please allow me to translate your post into plain English.

"I don't like it that a fallacious argument has been debunked, so I'll witter on about the use of Latin in an attempt at misdirection.
I seriously have no idea how your latin quotation translates, and thus, what it is trying to tell me.

I know using latin makes you sound like an authority, but I don't think it's a fallacious argument and I don't see it as being debunked. There is a lot of material out there from relatively level-headed sources that suggest owning a gun does not improve your safety, and - as I said already and will simply repeat - I know it would not improve my own personal safety.

For you, as a well-trained operator, it's probably a huge improvement to your safety. But I would suspect there are a whole lot of people out there who own guns 'for safety' who have no real idea how to operate them even in a calm situation, and would become a positive danger to themselves, their family, and their neighbors (in a typical 'apartment' situation) under a real 'gun pointing at you' situation. This is not at attempt at misdirection - it is a very real discussion about the practical aspect of owning a gun for 'personal safety'.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I just found that a little curious. Do you feel like the US is more dangerous or would you have preferred to have a gun in the UK as well?
I am not that bothered here, I would certainly like one in the UK.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

I was working for the Summer on a student visa in the USA. I got into a bit of trouble and ended up getting charged with assault/battery and got 6 months in county jail for something I probably would have only got community service for back here. I never expected to be in jail and it was a shock for me. When I got arrested I wasn't able to get bail and spent 6 weeks in jail before actually being sentenced.

Jail was tough in loads of ways and nothing like I thought it would be back home. It was like they treated you as a major criminal - when going to court I was handcuffed and had to wear leg shackles with a belly chain, moving out of the part of the jail I was in I was handcuffed and visits that I had were behind glass. I got searched alot and the guards were tough enough. I had to wear the jail uniform all the time, the food wasn't good at all and wasn't allowed to smoke which I found hard. I only got out in the frsh air once a week and the place was really crowded. I didn't get treated badly but those 6 months were the worse of my life. I ended up getting sent back home at the end and ended up being kept locked up for a few extra days while they sorted that out.

I know I did wrong but it was hard being in that situation miles away from home. When my parents came over to visit me in jail and could only see me behind glass in the jail uniform it was bad. The reason why I was thinking about this today was that there was stuff on the news here about getting rid of short prison sentences and that they don't work and I was thinking about my time over there.

Do you think it's right that they are so much tougher over there or was I just unlucky? My brother is over there working legally and I would love to go back over and would stay out of trouble but I know I won't be able to for years yet.
Chances are.....you will be refused entry to the USA again......even for a Holiday.

Jim.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

I was working for the Summer on a student visa in the USA. I got into a bit of trouble and ended up getting charged with assault/battery and got 6 months in county jail for something I probably would have only got community service for back here. I never expected to be in jail and it was a shock for me. When I got arrested I wasn't able to get bail and spent 6 weeks in jail before actually being sentenced.

Jail was tough in loads of ways and nothing like I thought it would be back home. It was like they treated you as a major criminal - when going to court I was handcuffed and had to wear leg shackles with a belly chain, moving out of the part of the jail I was in I was handcuffed and visits that I had were behind glass. I got searched alot and the guards were tough enough. I had to wear the jail uniform all the time, the food wasn't good at all and wasn't allowed to smoke which I found hard. I only got out in the frsh air once a week and the place was really crowded. I didn't get treated badly but those 6 months were the worse of my life. I ended up getting sent back home at the end and ended up being kept locked up for a few extra days while they sorted that out.

I know I did wrong but it was hard being in that situation miles away from home. When my parents came over to visit me in jail and could only see me behind glass in the jail uniform it was bad. The reason why I was thinking about this today was that there was stuff on the news here about getting rid of short prison sentences and that they don't work and I was thinking about my time over there.

Do you think it's right that they are so much tougher over there or was I just unlucky? My brother is over there working legally and I would love to go back over and would stay out of trouble but I know I won't be able to for years yet.
At least tell me you won the fight.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepgirluk
I don't believe that the US is more dangerous
LOL you need to go visit downtown Detroit.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's an old argument that has been shown to be an example of a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. IIRC, it all started with a study in Canada that ignored the fact that the victims lived in very high crime neighbourhoods.
OK, finally wasted a few moments of my life looking up the latin phrase ... "Post hoc ergo propter hoc" ...

"after this, therefore because of this", is a logical fallacy (of the questionable cause variety) which states, "Since that event followed this one, that event must have been caused by this one." It is often shortened to simply post hoc and is also sometimes referred to as false cause, coincidental correlation or correlation not causation. ...

Post hoc is a particularly tempting error because temporal sequence appears to be integral to causality. The fallacy lies in coming to a conclusion based solely on the order of events, rather than taking into account other factors that might rule out the connection."
So I guess what you are trying to say is, Bob's argument that "having a gun puts you in a higher risk of something happening" has been 'shown to be' a fallacy (using latin nicely gives the sense that this was a legal finding, or court decision, or whatever - rather than the opinions of some NRA PR men). So this argument has been 'debunked' because it was based on events which simply followed in time, but were not actually correlated to each other? Gun ownership rose, accidents increased, but the two were 'shown' not to be related. Nice bit of debunking, that!

I don't think anyone on either side of this argument is likely going to be able to 'prove' the point; this is not a scientific experiment. So lets use common sense. Sally Scared-At-Home gets worried about protecting herself and her son from robberies/home invasions. She buys a gun. Where does she put it - under strict lock-and-key to protect from an accident with her son, or in her bedside table where she can reach it quickly at 3am? Let's assume she figures a way to keep it from her inquisitive and adventurous son but yet readily available for access at a moments notice. She has a few glasses of wine and goes to bed. At 3am she's awoken by strange noises in the house. Tired and still a bit wobbly from the wine, whe gets her gun. Does she go creeping around the house looking for the intruder, or go into her son's room, somehow convince him to keep totally quiet, and sit there waiting for the intruder? Does she shoot first? Does she state her intention to shoot first? Does she give him the chance to run? What if she shoots and fails to kill or sufficiently stop the intruder ... who is now enraged and likely to kill her? and so on and so on ...

You dismiss my arguments with a simple "with a gun loads of unlikely things could go wrong" ... I don't think these are even slightly unlikely. What scenario do YOU envisage - the gun emits an aura that says 'keep away' and life is wonderful? Or the mere sight of the gun in the hands of Sally Scared-At-Home makes our bold home invader shit in his pants and run?

Regarding the argument that only a relatively small number of gun-deaths are accidental, that's true. This site (which I would view as independent) cites these figures: "In 1999, 3,385 children and youth ages 0-19 years were killed with a gun. This includes homicides, suicides, and unintentional injuries". It goes on to say that of those 3,385, only 214 were 'unintentional'. But a whopping 1,078 were suicides ... the article then goes on to demonstrate, quite clearly in my view, that these suicides would not have occurred had a gun not been readily available in the household.

The article states what is in my view the obvious - that if you own a gun, and you have children in the house, that you "
* Keep the gun locked
* Keep the gun unloaded
* Store the ammunition locked
* Store the ammunition in a separate place from the gun
"
But how do you rationalize that with the need for ready access to the gun when you feel threatened ... ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.