Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you know ( name here ) in London?

Do you know ( name here ) in London?

Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:33 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do you know ( name here ) in London?

Day trip to Edinburgh isn't rocket science! First and last flights to/from London and you would have plenty of time to see the Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle, Princess Street, National Museum and Parliament. Not forgetting a can of irn bru, haggis for lunch and a stroll in princess street gardens.

I've done it!

Originally Posted by Paul S
just as bad as my friends US cousin's, who whilst in London were suggesting a day trip to Edinburgh
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:12 am
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scotch03
Day trip to Edinburgh isn't rocket science! First and last flights to/from London and you would have plenty of time to see the Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle, Princess Street, National Museum and Parliament. Not forgetting a can of irn bru, haggis for lunch and a stroll in princess street gardens.

I've done it!
Scotland.....Beautiful!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:27 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
A couple of weeks ago at the grocery store, the old guy packing bags asks
'are you English?'
'yes' says me.
Where abouts in England are you from?' he asks.
'Bath in the south-west of England' says I.
'is that near Leeds?' he asks
'No, it's in the south west of England'

Thats commuting distance in Texas!!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Thats commuting distance in Texas!!

Easy and with time to stop and eat supper on the way home
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
A couple of weeks ago at the grocery store, the old guy packing bags asks
'are you English?'
'yes' says me.
Where abouts in England are you from?' he asks.
'Bath in the south-west of England' says I.
'is that near Leeds?' he asks
'No, it's in the south west of England'
My cousin in the UK called me in San Fransisco to ask if the fires in LA were near me, and he went to grammar school in the UK.
My UK BIL was surprised to find out that New York was also a state.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:49 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
My favorite one I got in London was:

"You're from America? Do you know the girls on Baywatch?"
I bet you wouldn't mind knowing them..
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:27 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

I get asked all the time were I come from ......so sick of it in fact ..that these days I say "Roanoke"....its a small town 5 miles from where we live....the look of confusion on their poor little faces is priceless
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:03 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Do you know ( name here ) in London?

When they made the announcement that Atlanta was to host the Olympics, I was living in Atlanta, and my mum was visiting me. The announcement was to be made very early in the morning (because of the world time differences).

I got my mum up to watch the announcement on TV, and explained that ATL was trying to get the Olympics. My mum had been to ATL several times in the past. She was very bemused by this, and said "ATL get the Olympics? No, I don't that's very likely, because no one in England even knows where it is!"
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:03 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotch03
Day trip to Edinburgh isn't rocket science!
it is when you consider they were factoring driving there and back in a day

Luckily for me I used to live 45 minutes from the city center (on a good day with a following wind!)
Old Oct 6th 2007, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

just as bad as my friends US cousin's, who whilst in London were suggesting a day trip to Edinburgh
First time my m-i-l came to San Francisco she annouced that she'd decided not to do a day trip to Washington DC. Probably a good thing as said day trip probably would have consisted of two transcontinental flights plus an hour or so in Dulles airport

Otoh, I have received the "I have a friend who lives north of London; you'll probably know him" nonsense over here...
Old Oct 6th 2007, 11:34 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've done that trip, a few times actually. Also did a day trip Dublin and a day trip to Amsterdam.

Amazing the lengths I go to for 'mileage runs' to keep my BA Silver card...
Old Oct 6th 2007, 12:23 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh we've had them all!!

Do you know John in London.....why yes I know there's about 2 million John's in London

OMG have you met the Queen.....why of course, we go around quite regularly

Do you know the Beetles....Yes I live next door to them in Liverpool

I don't mind these questions as the person asking them is honestly wanting to know.....there's no malliciousnous

But my one actual pet hate the one thing I despise more than anything is when some-one walks up to me sticks their finger in my face and says "your English aren't you".....they tell me I'm english, they don't even bother to ask...and all this is done in front of their gaggle of friends...so of course my hackles raise and I just turn round and say "no I'm from South Africa" and walk away....before I really lose my rag and slap her one.....

OK rant over....sorry about that, I guess I had to get it off my chest....