Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Savannah, GA

Moving to Savannah, GA

Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

cosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nice
Smile Moving to Savannah, GA

We are moving to Savannah in Spetember from Somerset, England. Any other brits living their?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Savannah, GA

welcome to BE

Have a look through the frapr map that's sticked on the forum to see who's around
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cosmicgirl
We are moving to Savannah in Spetember from Somerset, England. Any other brits living their?
hiya, welcome to BE. maybe check this out for other Brits ~

http://www.frappr.com/beusa
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:53 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
welcome to BE

Have a look through the frapr map that's sticked on the forum to see who's around
Helllooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 12:56 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm right outside Savannah. JCB's North American HQ is here so Brits are also
here of course. There are others scattered here and there. There are several pubs in Savannah, Churchills and the Six Pence. Also one out on Wilmington Island that I hear is popular with the JCB crowd.
There is a British Women's Club also.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

You will like Savannah,great place.Welcome to BE by the way.What part of Somerset are you from??
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:58 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

We were close once in Statesboro and used to travel to Savannah all the time. Nice place to visit and the wife really wants to live there. Moved up to Augusta now although we are thinking about moving back that way if I can find a job that pays the same (or more) than where I am now.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nice
Smile Re: Moving to Savannah, GA

We are also looking for a place to rent in savannah. Any tips on good places to live. Also do you know if you need a social security number to sign up for utilities and what sort of deposits are needed, as in the UK this is not necessary.
Thanks
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:23 pm
Sursum corda

We are also looking for a place to rent in savannah. Any tips on good places to live. Also do you know if you need a social security number to sign up for utilities and what sort of deposits are needed, as in the UK this is not necessary.
Thanks
Do you have kids? Where will the workplace be?
You can PM me. Happy to help as much as possible.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

I have 1 little boy who is 1. My husabnd is going to work for gulfstream. Just confused about the utilities situation as nobody seems to know.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:56 pm
Sursum corda

I have 1 little boy who is 1. My husabnd is going to work for gulfstream. Just confused about the utilities situation as nobody seems to know.
Ha! Gulfstream-that's right out by my office here, . I used to do travel for some Brits who worked for Rolls Royce attached to Gulfstream. One of them lived in Richmond Hill.

There are Gulfstream people who live all over the southside of Savannah. There are several apartment complexes on the southside of Savannah, nice ones, which make it easy to get TO Savannah, without living IN Savannah. I live in Richmond Hill, which would be about a 20-35 min commute from Gulfstream. Pooler which is very close to Gulfstream has really taken off and is currently building quite a few apartments and houses out this way. The deposit thing depends on the town and who they use-Savannah Electric or Coastal EMC, same with phone. We didn't have to do a deposit because we could show past credit history.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:28 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

When I first moved here, I had to put about $100 - $150 down for the electricity. After a while of paying your bills on time, it gets credited back to your account.

Didn't have to pay a deposit for phone or gas but it can depend on the company you use. You will know more when you get it setup but it's not out of this World (unlike cell phone deposits).

I didn't have an SSN when I first moved here but it wasn't an issue after I explained the situation. I found it easier to visit the local offices to setup utilities rather than trying to explain it all on the phone.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:16 am
Sursum corda

Besides that ,the towns I mentioned are used to dealing with furriners.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

saffydude is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi -

We've just moved here too from the UK. I'm originally from Somerset but live in Nottinghamshire. What a small world.

I've got a son who's almost 14 months and would love to know if there's anything locally to Pooler/Savannah for us to do during the day whilst hubby is at work.

In answer to your rental problem - we rent an apartment (furnished, bills all included) from Select Corporate Housing in a brand new apartment just outside Pooler. (Very close to JCB/Gulfstream). Guess by the time you read this you'll be here anyway!

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:59 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by saffydude
Hi -

We've just moved here too from the UK. I'm originally from Somerset but live in Nottinghamshire. What a small world.

I've got a son who's almost 14 months and would love to know if there's anything locally to Pooler/Savannah for us to do during the day whilst hubby is at work.

In answer to your rental problem - we rent an apartment (furnished, bills all included) from Select Corporate Housing in a brand new apartment just outside Pooler. (Very close to JCB/Gulfstream). Guess by the time you read this you'll be here anyway!

Welcome, you're just down the road from my office-I'm right out by the airport! I think I know where you are.

I hope you two gals can get together.

I would suggest getting hold of the free weekly Connect Savannah paper-has loads of good stuff in there.

PS Did you bring any zider, ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.