British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Do you know ( name here ) in London? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-you-know-name-here-london-484924/)

lanky spoken here Oct 2nd 2007 10:08 pm

Do you know ( name here ) in London?

Hello everyone!

As you know there are about 13 million people in London.

I was talking to an American guy and he said, Do you know John from London? :eek:

The mind boggles. Must be at least a million Johns. Why do Americans ask these type of questions?

Uk is more than London and Oxford. Come on you adventurous Americans...GO NORTH!

Patrick Hasler Oct 2nd 2007 10:48 pm

Re: Do you know ( name here ) in London?

And .... ?

Do you know him or not ? :confused:

Paul S Oct 2nd 2007 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 5379714)
And .... ?

I do, don't you:confused:

Hobnob Oct 2nd 2007 11:02 pm

I assume your talking about John from London? How spooky is that because we went to different schools together!! :unsure:

lanky spoken here Oct 2nd 2007 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 5379714)
And .... ?

Nahhhh :lol: Just trying not to make the American guy embarassed:thumbup:

meauxna Oct 2nd 2007 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here (Post 5379602)
Why do Americans ask these type of questions?

Probably the same reason Brits tend to ask me to come over from Oregon to meet them on their holiday in Orlando.
Since they'll be in America and all.
:p

Patrick Hasler Oct 2nd 2007 11:13 pm

People ar just a daft in England mate :rofl: ..... I was chatting to my sister on the phone and talking about houses here and she thinks they all look like they do in the movies :D ............. single storey with big front lawns and a guy that throws the news paper at the front door every day :rofl:

paddingtongreen Oct 2nd 2007 11:18 pm

Related but not quite the same.

When I came here it was with about a hundred others. Funny thing though, we was all best mates with the Stones or the Beatles. It didn't half pull the birds, broke the ice, anyway.

Poppy girl Oct 2nd 2007 11:19 pm

Its the same everywhere total shock on their faces "OH where do you come from in london my friends 2nd cousins friend etc lives there do you know them" arghh bloody ignorant.

But not all Aussie's come from Sydney...not all Americans come from New York some people think that the entire country to which they are referring only has habitants in the major cities :eek::eek:

Or there is the other one " My great grand mother comes from the UK" and '' her last name was Jones" With an expression on their faces like we had dinner the night before with the latest generation of the family and know them well :rofl:

Thydney Oct 2nd 2007 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen (Post 5379793)
Related but not quite the same.

When I came here it was with about a hundred others. Funny thing though, we was all best mates with the Stones or the Beatles. It didn't half pull the birds, broke the ice, anyway.

You knew the stones from stone henge?

Kaffy Mintcake Oct 2nd 2007 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 5379794)

Or there is the other one " My great grand mother comes from the UK" and '' her last night was Jones" With an expression on their faces like we had dinner the night before with the latest generation of the family and know them well :rofl:

Night or name? ;)

I've had that with my university too. Oh, you went to Miami? You must know so and so then. With 16,000 students at any one time ... odds are I don't!

But every once in a while you may be surprised. :eek:

MsElui Oct 3rd 2007 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 5379794)
Its the same everywhere total shock on their faces "OH where do you come from in london my friends 2nd cousins friend etc lives there do you know them" arghh bloody ignorant.

but whats the best way to break it to them gently !

Scouse Express Oct 3rd 2007 10:08 am

Quote from "Formula 51" Movie:

"Oh England.........You must know that John Smith Guy"

(Reply)

"Oh yes I do, but he doesn't come from England........he comes from Pricksville, USA!"

Jim.

Britdrinker Oct 3rd 2007 12:31 pm

"You're Scottish? Hey, I'm Scotch too!" [spoken in pure Texonian] used to make me bleed from the ears, but I'm used to it now.

The other day a co-worker asked me if I happened to know the name of the lighthouse between Oban and Craignure on the Isle of Mull ... and I did! Fortunately, she seemed quite surprised that I knew.

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here (Post 5379602)
Hello everyone!

As you know there are about 13 million people in London.

I was talking to an American guy and he said, Do you know John from London? :eek:

The mind boggles. Must be at least a million Johns. Why do Americans ask these type of questions?

Uk is more than London and Oxford. Come on you adventurous Americans...GO NORTH!

penguinsix Oct 3rd 2007 12:37 pm

My favorite one I got in London was:

"You're from America? Do you know the girls on Baywatch?"