Divorce

Old Oct 13th 2011, 6:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Divorce

Originally Posted by Scotch
Bollox, Well if it all boils down to him giving me permission, I may have to take his Military Pension! and make him pay me to stay here. Say I had to stay in the states, would I have to stay in the state NC or would we be able to move anywhere? If you can move to any state, than making me stay here with the kids makes no sense as If I moved to say L.A, than that is a the same flying time as flying to the UK from NC.

This just sucks that he has made my life hell for the last 8 - 9 years of our marriage and he can decide my future and totally screw me over. Which I now he will, just to be petty and to get back at me.

I have been keeping a journal of everything that has been going on for the last 3 months, I have recorded him shouting at the kids on a daily basis, over stupid things like splashing in the bath. I have put in the journal the things he does around the house (which is nothing) I have vidoed him shouting at me and swearing at me infront of the kids, smashing his fists into things when he doesn't get his own way. I have been keeping a record of every penny I spend on the house, kids and and myself and him. I have been taking photos of the things I do with the kids and keeping all paintings, drawings and crafts. All the school work I do with the kids etc etc
Is it an absolute certainty that he would refuse to allow you to bring the children back to the UK to live? If you had US citizenship, combined with the fact that the UK actually gives workers a decent holiday allowance, you'd have ample opportunity to let him see the kids every year, without worrying about entry refusals et cetera.

As a father myself, I have to say, if a bloke hasn't been willing to take an active role in his childrens' lives (and being a soldier just isn't an excuse, I'm sorry) then he shouldn't be putting demands on the mother after the marriage falls apart. I wouldn't expect to have that right if I didn't help with my children. Never mind the fact that he has been at least verbally abusive to you and the children as well - just unacceptable.

You're in an unenviable position - and I really do wish you all the best with this, however it turns out.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Bollox, Well if it all boils down to him giving me permission, I may have to take his Military Pension! and make him pay me to stay here. Say I had to stay in the states, would I have to stay in the state NC or would we be able to move anywhere? If you can move to any state, than making me stay here with the kids makes no sense as If I moved to say L.A, than that is a the same flying time as flying to the UK from NC.
Even moving out of State could create problems, unfortunately. Just make sure you get a good lawyer, who knows his/her stuff.

Good Luck!

Jim.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 6:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This just sucks that he has made my life hell for the last 8 - 9 years of our marriage and he can decide my future and totally screw me over. Which I now he will, just to be petty and to get back at me.

I have been keeping a journal of everything that has been going on for the last 3 months, I have recorded him shouting at the kids on a daily basis, over stupid things like splashing in the bath. I have put in the journal the things he does around the house (which is nothing) I have vidoed him shouting at me and swearing at me infront of the kids, smashing his fists into things when he doesn't get his own way. I have been keeping a record of every penny I spend on the house, kids and and myself and him. I have been taking photos of the things I do with the kids and keeping all paintings, drawings and crafts. All the school work I do with the kids etc etc
I think he could insist you stay in the state you all reside in at present. It may vary depending on what state you live in.

As long as you are not British by decent your children with be British by decent. You need to get the relevant paperwork up to date. Not sure whether that's a UK PP, UK birth certificate etc...no doubt someone will know and post the correct answer.

It's a good idea to clear the history on your computer each time you use it...just in case your husband tries to see what websites you've been looking at.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 13th 2011 at 6:56 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Scotch is just really niceScotch is just really niceScotch is just really niceScotch is just really niceScotch is just really niceScotch is just really niceScotch is just really niceScotch is just really nice

If he makes me stay in the US, than I will if I can move to somewhere were it makes it really hard for him to see tham, (not that I don't want him to see tham). If he complains than I will say well it would have been a direct flight from the UK! Sorry. Look at this lovely new coat I just got with your pension

This really does suck, I may start calling Lawyers on bases in Europe and see what they say. Hopefully we can get posted to the UK and I can apply for divorce there after 6-12 months of being there, so I can show how the kids have a routine already set up with grandparents, friends, school etc etc

This bloody country ;-) and my bloody XXXXXX of a husband.

I do clear my computer and my neighbours are my contact for my lawyer. My diary is kept with the cleaning supplies, he doesn't even know where that cupboard is! All letters I receive about my husband, i.e. my doctor back in the last state we lived in noticed things weren't right and said if I ever needed him to call. So he has written a letter regarding my hubands behavior whilst I was giving birth etc etc

Last edited by Scotch; Oct 13th 2011 at 7:10 pm. Reason: Update
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:01 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like he has some issues, and I wonder how much of that is due to his deployments(s). I can speak from experience that just having the spouse TDY for a lengthy period, never mind being deployed, ESPECIALLY in a combat situation is tough on everybody, and there are some MAJOR adjustments that have to be made. This deployed, home, deployed, home cycle of the last 10 years of the various wars, , is unlike anything the soldier or spouse and family have had to contend with before.

The pension issue- normally a military pension may be considered community property and split. However, the split will NOT exceed 50/50 unless the military spouse is behind on support. Also you have to be married 10 years.

Last edited by cindyabs; Oct 13th 2011 at 7:09 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:06 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Divorce

If he makes me stay in the US, than I will if I can move to somewhere were it makes it really hard for him to see tham, (not that I don't want him to see tham). If he complains than I will say well it would have been a direct flight from the UK! Sorry. Look at this lovely new coat I just got with your pension

This really does suck, I may start calling Lawyers on bases in Europe and see what they say. Hopefully we can get posted to the UK and I can apply for divorce there after 6-12 months of being there, so I can show how the kids have a routine already set up with grandparents, friends, school etc etc

This bloody country ;-) and my bloody XXXXXX of a husband.
Ooooh, you poor thing. Sending you a big ((((hug)))).

It's good to see that at least you are a little optimistic in your last paragraph. It seems like an excellent strategy.

I posted on the other thread on the main USA board; my friend's landlady had a nasty divorce and is not allowed to move her children more than 25 miles from Brooklyn, New York.

I also seem to recall that one American poster on these boards ('Snowbunny' - I think) also wasn't allowed to move far from her ex-spouse, even though she is highly qualified and was hoping to move further away for a better career opportunity. I think this was in Texas.

Good Luck
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Sounds like he has some issues, and I wonder how much of that is due to his deployments(s). I can speak from experience that just having the spouse TDY for a lengthy period, never mind being deployed, ESPECIALLY in a combat situation is tough on everybody, and there are some MAJOR adjustments that have to be made. This deployed, home, deployed, home cycle of the last 10 years of the various wars, , is unlike anything the soldier or spouse and family have had to contend with before.

The pension issue- normally a military pension may be considered community property and split. However, the split will NOT exceed 50/50 unless the military spouse is behind on support.
Yes, was thinking the same with regards to PTSD.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be up to the judge what to allow as far as who can move where, how long the kids get to spend with each parent and where, etc.

My advice is the same as the others...work on getting your own US citizenship, so if it boils down to the kids having to stay in the USA, you can at least stay with them.

Rene
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

This doesn't come over very well but let's be kind and say you are under a lot of stress.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Scotch is just really niceScotch is just really niceScotch is just really niceScotch is just really niceScotch is just really niceScotch is just really niceScotch is just really niceScotch is just really nice

Yeah I know about the 50/50, I know he would be very mad if I went for his pension. So maybe I can use that to get my kids to the Uk. I will gladly let him have everything if it meant I could leave with the kids. That's all I want is a small house, me and the kids and the dog, close to family and friends where I have control over my life and the kids life and I am not walking on egg shells all the time. I just want to be happy and I want my kids to grow up well rounded little men, my 3 year old is already a very angry little boy and I feel so sad and sorry for him, but he is young enough to change that. If I can just give them a normal happy house to live in.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:51 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I know about the 50/50, I know he would be very mad if I went for his pension. So maybe I can use that to get my kids to the Uk. I will gladly let him have everything if it meant I could leave with the kids. That's all I want is a small house, me and the kids and the dog, close to family and friends where I have control over my life and the kids life and I am not walking on egg shells all the time. I just want to be happy and I want my kids to grow up well rounded little men, my 3 year old is already a very angry little boy and I feel so sad and sorry for him, but he is young enough to change that. If I can just give them a normal happy house to live in.
Has he retired yet? Doesn't sound like that. The pension is what you get AFTER you retire from the service AND have 20 years in.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

He only has 6 years left.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to consider, if you don't already have your 40 quarters of work....and you've clearly got a greencard and aren't dead, he's still on the hook as a financial sponsor...so until you get US citizenship, you could try to use that to your advantage, so get a good family divorce lawyer and immigration lawyer to talk.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

Hi Scotch, you are doing the right thing, good luck, my son was seeing all kinds of crap at that age with me and my ex wife and yes you can see the anger in your children due to the situation.

When I told my ex wife I wanted a divorce she took me to the cleaners house, cars, pensions the lot, and my son. I had my son every weekend ( so she could go clubbing it ) and school holidays. By the time he was 6 he understood what was going on living with her and came to live with me........now he is a gorgeous 14 year old who doesn't have a care in the world and lives with me his dad in the Middle East.
Scotch, you will go through pain now, but it is worth it.........my attitude was, you can have it all you bitch, just let me have my son so that he can have a life!!

It was worth every penny and all the heartache. Good Luck, and I like your fighting spirit

Last edited by markinbahrain; Oct 14th 2011 at 3:54 am.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

Mind you, I wish he would have told me a bit earlier, as it would have saved me a few bob!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.