Denied NHS

Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

dwookus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Denied NHS

What is this about being denied NHS after being out of the UK for more than 3 months? I'll be brief. I'm USC, husband retired British, we've been in US for over a year. Husband diagnosed with diabetes. We do not have health insurance here. REally scary. Considering moving back to UK.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied NHS

Originally Posted by dwookus
What is this about being denied NHS after being out of the UK for more than 3 months? I'll be brief. I'm USC, husband retired British, we've been in US for over a year. Husband diagnosed with diabetes. We do not have health insurance here. REally scary. Considering moving back to UK.
Day you "move back", you're covered.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you FATBRIT for replying.... we always thought that if we needed to return for health care we could. Looks not to be the case. We'll have to move back to get healthcare, right?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's for visitors to the UK needing non emergency medical care. If you are returning to the UK to be permenant residents as FB said your husband will be covered from day 1.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

We'll have to move back to get healthcare, right?
Yep.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you FATBRIT for replying.... we always thought that if we needed to return for health care we could. Looks not to be the case. We'll have to move back to get healthcare, right?
Umm, why would you think that? It's essentially the same as here, except that there is 1 big insurance policy that is easy to get. But if you don't pay in or meet the eligibility requirements (such as being resident there in the UK) you don't get coverage.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

My husband does pay in to the NHS and has all his life. I have a resident visa for UK and have paid into the NHS. Guess I was just ignorant.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:37 pm
Septicity

My husband does pay in to the NHS and has all his life. I have a resident visa for UK and have paid into the NHS. Guess I was just ignorant.
Doesn't matter whether you have ever paid in or not. Matters that you're resident.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think you mean he still pays NI (National Insurance)...that's got nothing to do with the NHS.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Yep, looks like we'll be moving back, 'sigh'. Don't cherish the thought of leaving my family, children and grand children AGAIN. But healthcare here stinks. One visit to the emergency room over $2000. Insurance is way to expensive. Hope Obama can change things.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yep, looks like we'll be moving back, 'sigh'. Don't cherish the thought of leaving my family, children and grand children AGAIN. But healthcare here stinks. One visit to the emergency room over $2000. Insurance is way to expensive. Hope Obama can change things.
I wouldn't hold your breath.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:44 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Depends if he's allowed to change anything! The Pharmaceuticals, Healthcare, Insurance and Food industries seem to be on a nice screw right at the moment, they won't like giving that up!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Do you know if my husband will qualify for Medicare in the US when he reaches 65? Having never worked in the US. (which should be in 1 1/2 yrs)
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

ian1976 will become famous soon enoughian1976 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Day you "move back", you're covered.
Has anyone actually had to prove their residence in the UK when registering for a GP? I never did - in fact I don't think you even need an NI number, so I'm not sure how they even check eligibility...

I've kept some UK bank accounts open and they am getting statements for these sent to an address in the UK so even if they asked for some kind of documentary evidence I would be covered if I ever needed to be.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by ian1976
Has anyone actually had to prove their residence in the UK when registering for a GP? I never did - in fact I don't think you even need an NI number, so I'm not sure how they even check eligibility...

I've kept some UK bank accounts open and they am getting statements for these sent to an address in the UK so even if they asked for some kind of documentary evidence I would be covered if I ever needed to be.
Why do you think you'd be covered? Just because your mail is sent to a UK address does not make you a UK resident.

You do not need a NI number to register with a GP you need a NHS number.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.