Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A delicate subject ...

A delicate subject ...

Old Jul 9th 2004, 6:47 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
I'm so glad someone else has mentioned this. The toilets here are pathetic. The s-bend thingy is tiny. I'm forever having to unblock ours. Thank gawd there are no curry places anywhere near. I really don't think it could cope.
My spouse (American by the way) noticed how crap (no pun intended) American loos are. The diameter of the hole for the S bend is patheticly narrow so no wonder there's blockages.

Is this an attempt to use less water when flushing?
Old Jul 9th 2004, 6:52 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by NC Penguin
My spouse (American by the way) noticed how crap (no pun intended) American loos are. The diameter of the hole for the S bend is patheticly narrow so no wonder there's blockages.

Is this an attempt to use less water when flushing?
Americans must, historically have had smaller turds or tighter arses
Old Jul 9th 2004, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A delicate subject ...

The US used to have decent toilets, but a decade or so ago, Congress passed a law regulating the size of toilet water tanks. That's why American toilets don't work. The ironic thing, is that the law doesn't even conserve water (the law's orginal intent), since people are flushing two or three times to expel the... well, you know.
Another example of the nanny government in action.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 7:52 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Well, one of our loos, that isn't that old, is flippin brilliant. But it does have a turbo charged engine attached! Actually, it's like going to the loo on a plane where you wonder if you will get sucked down the hole too:scared:

So for all of you thinking of changing your loo, don't think about going to the expense of changing pipes and anything else, just get a supercharged loo with added suction power
Old Jul 9th 2004, 8:02 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

While in Lowes today I picked up a water conservation leaflet. It stated that by law, all new or replacement toilets have to be "ultra low flow toilets" at a maximum of 1.6 gallons per flush - compared to pre 1994 installed toilets which were 5 to 7 gpf.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 8:08 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Ben
Well, one of our loos, that isn't that old, is flippin brilliant. But it does have a turbo charged engine attached! Actually, it's like going to the loo on a plane where you wonder if you will get sucked down the hole too:scared:

So for all of you thinking of changing your loo, don't think about going to the expense of changing pipes and anything else, just get a supercharged loo with added suction power
It might tempt the kids to flush things! -- We had to take our downstairs toilet out on the deck when my youngest flushed the toilet roll holder.

Todd's grandfather was there and right in front of the neighbours he told me I shouldn't flush PADS... I stood there hopelessly protesting that I've known not to flush pads for about 24 years now.

Knowing where Todd's grandfather must have heard I'
d flushed a pad I gave Todd my very best "Oh my god I'm going to make you pay for this" stare!
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

When we had our house built our contractor advised us to have fitted these loos that build up pressure in a pressure tank in the cistern. These would flush the most demanding "output", never block and basically are a whole lot better than any loos in the UK that I ever used.
Only downside is that, like most American items in the house (washing machines, vacuum cleaners, microwaves, dishwashers etc.) they sound like a 747 taking off when you use them!!!

Andy.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:18 pm
Monkey

Trisha is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to point out that my (american) toilet NEVER clogged up until my (british) husband used it....
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Trisha
I would like to point out that my (american) toilet NEVER clogged up until my (british) husband used it....
Must be all that newspaper we use (unwrapped from the fish and chips) then!
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Its all a bit simple really look at the outlet pipe on a UK toilet and you will find one with a 4in diameter ... here its about half that ..
the Victorian specification was a lot better...
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:40 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ray6
Its all a bit simple really look at the outlet pipe on a UK toilet and you will find one with a 4in diameter ... here its about half that ..
the Victorian specification was a lot better...
Yeah it's pretty much the size of the pipe I reckon. They are way smaller here...I block the bog around once a fortnight.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:47 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jambo_2004
Yeah it's pretty much the size of the pipe I reckon. They are way smaller here...I block the bog around once a fortnight.
Thats good going mate, nearly every morning I need to plunge the buggers out!

I now have it down to a fine art...poopy = flush.....wipe 3 times = flush....wipe again for the winnets (just in case) and flush.

no bloody wonder my water bill was $115 last month
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Methinks there's not another nation on earth whose citizens would be having this conversation!
Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Yosser
no bloody wonder my water bill was $115 last month

Bloody 'ell, you flush with Evian then?
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:10 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

My downstairs loo is bunged. And I was going so well with not having blocked one for at least a week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.