Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dealing with aging parents in the UK

Dealing with aging parents in the UK

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:58 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dealing with aging parents in the UK

Originally Posted by gingerert
Is it even wise to put him through all that upheaval?
That's sort of what I was thinking - would he even be remotely interested in moving here? My mother in law is in her upper 70s and though she'd love living here near us, the thought of that much upheaval just makes it much less desirable to her (let alone the health insurance problem).
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TracyTN
That's sort of what I was thinking - would he even be remotely interested in moving here? My mother in law is in her upper 70s and though she'd love living here near us, the thought of that much upheaval just makes it much less desirable to her (let alone the health insurance problem).
Would Obamacare help?

I sort of last track on the details, was going from bad to worse but I thought this 'exchange' would allow new immigrants to join, no pre existing and a multiply limit between min and max, bad news if you are young and healthy but not in this case.

Currently may also depend on State, nothing in CO, but MA has something.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 1:15 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Boiler
Would Obamacare help?

I sort of last track on the details, was going from bad to worse but I thought this 'exchange' would allow new immigrants to join, no pre existing and a multiply limit between min and max, bad news if you are young and healthy but not in this case.

I'm not sure actually - it might. I admit to not having read all the details yet - anyone else here know?

Still, she'd probably have to get divorced from her miserable husband too before she could move. It'd be the only way she could afford a house here (we certainly can't buy her one - and no she's not moving in. LOL!!). I kind of don't see all that happening. Just too much change for a woman her age. Though I think our unborn child (and her only grandchild) might sway her a tad...!
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 4:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
naaa, it doesn't.

It has a requirement that everyone resident must have medical insurance.

There is a state group pool which you can sign up for if you don't have your own insurance, but it costs whatever the going rate is, which would be a fortune.

The state will provide it for you if you are poor...seriously poor....when I looked into it, you had to be earning less than $8K a year...a hobo probably gets more than that collecting drink can deposits. The rate is a little higher now I think, but not much higher.

edit: to add, joining the IGDA and pretending to be a game dev for $50 a year would allow you get get a group rate for cheaper, but not necessarily cheap a rate, and not available to those in MA because of the state offered group pool.

Last edited by Bob; Dec 23rd 2009 at 4:44 pm.