Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CA drivers license and no SSN

CA drivers license and no SSN

Old Dec 21st 2009, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice
Default CA drivers license and no SSN

Hey guys

Ok for some reason I cant find the last thread i posted about this, so apologies.
Hubbie and I went to the DMV today and both took our written tests, i got one less wrong than him but we both passed and have the behind the wheel test booked for 19th Jan. Hubbie is on a H1b visa thus has a SSN so he was fine, im on a H4 thus not entitled to a SSN, they said at the DMV that i could take the test but they couldnt issue me a license if i passed without a SSN, i explained im not allowed to work and not entitled to one, but they werent happy with that. Any suggestions how i can prove this to them, i recall someone saying i should go to a SS office and get a letter, but after the 4 hours my husband spent queuing there i thought there might be a quicker option. I did look online on the social security site and it clearly states that you dont need a SSN for a drivers license, but not sure if this will be good enough proof for them

Thanks and happy christmas xxx
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CA drivers license and no SSN

I had a very similar problem. I am here on a H4 and not allowed to work too. I got a SSN when I was a student here in the 90s and I couldn't use the card when I went to the BMV as the name on the card is my maiden name. I wads told to get a NUMI by the woman I saw at the BMV but the Social Security people wouldn't give me one as I am not allowed to work. They won't change the name on my records or give me a new card as I am not allowed to work. I had to get a letter from the Social Security saying I am not eligible for a SSN (even though I already have one!) and used this at the BMV when I went again this past weekend. Husband had already done his written test and driving test and got his licence in the mail a few weeks ago. I did the written test on Saturday morning and passed and I have the driving test arranged for 0930 on Saturday January 2. I could have done it sooner but I had no one to look after my kids. Can't take them on the test so have to wait till a weekend slot was free so husband could sit with them whilst I go for a 10 minute or so drive. I am in Indiana so the regulations on driving licences may be different in your state. I couldn't even do the written test until I had the letter from the Social Security Administration.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

The easiest way to get a letter stating that you are not entitled to a social security number is probably just to apply for one and have them reject your application.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Thanks, i guess ill head to the SS office one morning then, guess it will give me something to do!!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
The easiest way to get a letter stating that you are not entitled to a social security number is probably just to apply for one and have them reject your application.
I tried that but just got the application back (4 weeks later) with a standard letter saying I had not proved certain things like residency, right to work etc
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
im on a H4 thus not entitled to a SSN, they said at the DMV that i could take the test but they couldnt issue me a license if i passed without a SSN, i explained im not allowed to work and not entitled to one, but they werent happy with that. Any suggestions how i can prove this to them
They are morons and don't know their own state law. It's not for them to be 'unhappy' with things, don't let them bully you out of what you are entitled to.

~~~~~

"If you are legally present in the U.S., but ineligible for an SSN, you are exempt from the DMV SSN requirement."

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffdl08.htm

~~~~~

You could print that page out (make sure the web address is visible on the printout) and take it to them, or just ask the DMV to call their own CA head office where someone will straighten them out.

When I went for my license in OH they had to phone Columbus to check whether I was eligible or not.

You'd have thought there'd be more folk with visas in CA and they'd know what they are doing.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
They are morons and don't know their own state law. It's not for them to be 'unhappy' with things, don't let them bully you out of what you are entitled to.

~~~~~

"If you are legally present in the U.S., but ineligible for an SSN, you are exempt from the DMV SSN requirement."

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffdl08.htm

~~~~~

You could print that page out (make sure the web address is visible on the printout) and take it to them, or just ask the DMV to call their own CA head office where someone will straighten them out.

When I went for my license in OH they had to phone Columbus to check whether I was eligible or not.

You'd have thought there'd be more folk with visas in CA and they'd know what they are doing.
Thanks for this ive printed that page out and will take it with me, normally back in England i would have made a fuss and caused a scene, but didnt like to here as i wasnt 100% sure they were in the wrong!!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
Ok for some reason I cant find the last thread i posted about this,
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639979

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=637435
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I was H4 and got a licence no problem, you just have to be rejected for a SSN.

Morons in the DMV, I've had plenty of trouble with them now my son is learning to drive.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

I've got this process to look forward next year, though not sure how going to do it as I will be out of the country 10 days after arriving as I need to come back to the UK. Hopefully, can get my SSN asap which will help.

I read the other thread, glad the drivers test is simple. I remember my poor wife under mad stress to pass her UK one especially as her work at the time needed her to drive.....
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
I've got this process to look forward next year, though not sure how going to do it as I will be out of the country 10 days after arriving as I need to come back to the UK. Hopefully, can get my SSN asap which will help.

I read the other thread, glad the drivers test is simple. I remember my poor wife under mad stress to pass her UK one especially as her work at the time needed her to drive.....
Your Permanent Resident immigration status is different than your 'resident in California' status.
It doesn't sound like you will be a California resident after the visit you describe above.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I was searching through the DMV site without much luck on this matter, other than the 10 day requirement. IMHO, the CA DMV website is definitely not as good as other states'.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Do you / can you apply for a ITIN (tax ID number)? This looks the same as an SSN, and is for tax purposes only. If you not eligible to work you may not be able to get one, but it can often be used as an SSN (I don't mean the same i.e. its not an SSN, but the numbering and formatting is the same and carries with you). Its for people who cannot get an SSN.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...6,00.html#itin
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 11:27 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emailrob
Do you / can you apply for a ITIN (tax ID number)? This looks the same as an SSN, and is for tax purposes only. If you not eligible to work you may not be able to get one, but it can often be used as an SSN (I don't mean the same i.e. its not an SSN, but the numbering and formatting is the same and carries with you). Its for people who cannot get an SSN.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...6,00.html#itin
Certainly here in TX they won't accept an ITIN at the DMV. Probably won't anywhere else either.

However, once the OP gets past 5 layers of moron at the DMV, someone will be able to read well enough to understand the page she's printed out that says in black and white that they can't demand a SSN from someone not entitled to a SSN!