H1b/H4 and SSN

Old Oct 25th 2009, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice
Default H1b/H4 and SSN

Hello

Ive done a quick search and cant seem to find my answer on here.
Hubbie has a H1b and I have an H4 visa, how do we go about applying for SSN's and how long does it take, as we want to apply for a US driving license and also a cell phone but cant without a SSN

Thanks
Sarah
Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1b/H4 and SSN

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
Hubbie has a H1b and I have an H4 visa, how do we go about applying for SSN's and how long does it take, as we want to apply for a US driving license and also a cell phone but cant without a SSN
Hubby can complete form SS-5 available online or at your nearest SSA office. He'll get his SS card within a couple of weeks - but if he needs to know the number, he should be able to get that within a few days after applying. He'll need his passport with the valid visa. You, however, are not eligible for a SSN. You will need to apply for an ITIN instead and use that to get a driver's license.

Ian
Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Excellent, thanks for that
Something to add to our to do list when we move
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:30 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
......... You, however, are not eligible for a SSN. You will need to apply for an ITIN instead and use that to get a driver's license.

Ian
ITIN is useless for getting a DL. She'll have to get a letter from the SSA stating that she is not eligible for a SSN.

And go to the DMV armed with whatever it says on their website re. documents that are acceptable to get a DL.

And be prepared for a fight.

(A search for "H4 + driver's license" may bring up some old threads with others' experiences.)

Oh......... and good luck...
Old Oct 25th 2009, 5:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You will need to apply for an ITIN instead and use that to get a driver's license.
Not so. An ITIN can only be obtained in conjunction with a tax return filing now, and the ITIN is not a substitute for a SSN.

Elvira's right about the letter; how easy to also get a DL will depend on the state.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

I guess Ill leave hubbie to get his SSN and ill go talk nicely to the people at DMV
Old Oct 25th 2009, 9:53 pm
Have Visa will travel SFO

rwoodfine is a jewel in the roughrwoodfine is a jewel in the roughrwoodfine is a jewel in the roughrwoodfine is a jewel in the rough

you keep parting the waves for me
Old Oct 25th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

It is recommended to wait 10 days from arrival before applying for an SSN, so that your status will be registered in the DHS database that the SSA has access to. In my case the SSA refused to even look me up in the database before the 10 days. The H-1B holder can return to the SSA to get his/her SSN a couple of days after applying. The actual card will come in the mail a couple of weeks later.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:08 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahlou145
I guess Ill leave hubbie to get his SSN and ill go talk nicely to the people at DMV
Go with your OH to the SS office with your passport ,visa etc or you won't get the letter you need.

We all went, we all filled in the application form even though we knew OH was the only one eligible. We all went up to the window and, as expected,we were told that we (me and the kids) weren't eligible but we would be given a letter to that effect.

It is just a photocopied piece of paper that the clerk signed and that was that.

I had no problem with the drivers license.
Look on the drivers section of your state's website and, with some searching, you should find a section that lists all the different types of visa and what documents you need for a driving license.

I went to a small driver centre and they were fine.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

sudha is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with getting the DL, In many states they started giving the Driver permit instead of license, this is a pain as they mention on the card that it cant be used for identification.

Also, you make sure that you take all the documents like I797 to the DMV as if you happen to be in the unlucky states where they give only Driving permit you will be need immigration documents too.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:22 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sudha
Good luck with getting the DL, In many states they started giving the Driver permit instead of license, this is a pain as they mention on the card that it cant be used for identification.

Also, you make sure that you take all the documents like I797 to the DMV as if you happen to be in the unlucky states where they give only Driving permit you will be need immigration documents too.
I had to take everything to prove my status.
First I took the online test thing and that got me my permit, then I did the road test and got the full licence.

I think it is important to do the research about your state first because I felt the onus was on me to know what was needed just in case I got someone who wasn't familiar with immigrants.
I know it's their job but I like to be in control of my own destiny.