Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dating in NYC

Dating in NYC

Old Apr 19th 2008, 6:39 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dating in NYC

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
One girl I dated said it was embarrasing to be seen getting out her credit card in a bar. She implied that it was demeaning to a girl to publicly pay a bar tab. She's very cute and really not high maintainance, and it would not really hurt my pocket to pick up the tab. But it seems so strange after dating British and European girls who prided themselves on their financial independence.

I can understand the comment about girls prepping themselves, and the outlay that involves. But some do more than others, and guys do that kind of stuff too. In these days of supposed gender equality, I can't really find a logical reason why two people with similar incomes should not share expenses on a date. (I know there are illogical reasons).

It must be a convention dating back to a time when men worked, and women didn't.
Probably men being the traditional higher earners does factor in women expecting a guy to pick up the tab.But when you think about it picking up a dinner tab is not that big a deal when you are trying to get to know the woman better.

Personally I believe arranging a date over cocktails is better than a dinner date if you are unsure about her .It allows you time together to get a good read on her but doesn't require you sit there over a long dinner if the date is tanking.It doesn't take that long to figure out if there is physcial chemistry between the two of you after you both are relaxed by way of cocktails.A few drinks will give you insight in to whether or not she deserves a second date.

The second thru 5th date is when you find out if she was just putting on her best face during the first couple dates.But by the 3rd or 4th date you'll know if you two are sexually compatible and if she is a head case.This being NYC a fast pace city you might know that by the 1st or 2nd date
Old Apr 19th 2008, 6:50 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Here's the average cost of a days prepping for a date.

Haircut if needed $60
Mani-pedi $50
Garden work $20
New outfit $75
Mad money $40 (emergency funds)

So on average for the first date it comes to about $245. Some of the things that I mentioned aren't done by some. However the classier the dame the more she spends on herself to look good. Let's not forget the makeup supply that she has to keep stocked. All the potions she uses in the shower and after to smell like a woman. The time spent in up keep between appointments. Spending some cash on some nice lingerie so that the wrapper is nice all the way through. Very few women can look good au natural. The 99% percent of the rest of us have to do some work to keep you interested. We ladies are in competition with each other to be the one that gets that second look. It's aggressive and dog eat dog out there. We know you like to have someone who looks pretty hanging off your arm. We're a reflection of who you are as a men. We just do a really good job of making it look effortless. You guys only see the work we go through if you are living with your girlfriend, wife, or have experience with sisters. Even then we hid some of our beauty routines from you.

Just know there are days I wish I could roll out of bed at 6:30 and be ready and looking good by 6:45 but there's no way in hell that's gonna happen. Not if I have anything to say about it. You men have it easy in this regard.
Do you women do all that for us or to catch us?
Old Apr 19th 2008, 7:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Haircut if needed $60
Mani-pedi $50
Garden work $20
New outfit $75

So on average for the first date it comes to about $245. Some of the things that I mentioned aren't done by some. However the classier the dame the more she spends on herself to look good. Let's not forget the makeup supply that she has to keep stocked. All the potions she uses in the shower and after to smell like a woman. The time spent in up keep between appointments. Spending some cash on some nice lingerie so that the wrapper is nice all the way through. Very few women can look good au natural. The 99% percent of the rest of us have to do some work to keep you interested. We ladies are in competition with each other to be the one that gets that second look. It's aggressive and dog eat dog out there. We know you like to have someone who looks pretty hanging off your arm. We're a reflection of who you are as a men. We just do a really good job of making it look effortless. You guys only see the work we go through if you are living with your girlfriend, wife, or have experience with sisters. Even then we hid some of our beauty routines from you.

Just know there are days I wish I could roll out of bed at 6:30 and be ready and looking good by 6:45 but there's no way in hell that's gonna happen. Not if I have anything to say about it. You men have it easy in this regard.
I don't agree with your comment the classier the dame the more she spends on herself to look good...in fact I would say it's the opposite. A classy lady would already have a good haircut thus no need to go to the hairdressers, nice nails, 'gardening' and suitable outfits to wear.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:24 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't agree with your comment the classier the dame the more she spends on herself to look good...in fact I would say it's the opposite. A classy lady would already have a good haircut thus no need to go to the hairdressers, nice nails, 'gardening' and suitable outfits to wear.
I will have to agree with Jersey on this UGA...apart from jumping in the shower I am good to go lol
Takes me an hour and I am out the door
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:36 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Turns out the last two girls I have been dating beleived that the man should pay whenever we went out. I'm not tight, but am totally used to splitting the cost of drinks and meals with my date. In the UK, most girls see it as outdated and even offensive for the man to insist that he always pays.

Are the two girls I dated typical of New York girls?
This is a US cultural difference, nothing more. When you grow up with it this way, you expect it, regardless of what your gender is. You'd be hard pressed to find men or women in the US who would find the idea of the guy paying for the date particularly odd, unusual or worthy of considerable navel gazing.

My experience with Brits is quite the opposite, of course. A guy who insisted on planning an elaborate night out and then paid for it for a first date would be perceived as some weird stalker type who wants to propose marriage immediately thereafter, so it's just best to avoid it. When I finally realized that the mating and dating rules were different (avoid the restaurant, and just meet for drinks at the pub, trading rounds), I did a lot better.

In the US, women expect to be taken out and have their stuff purchased for them, at least at first. If you find one who doesn't, she's either unusual or (more likely) trying to communicate a clear message to you that you are "just friends" and are not out on a date (so don't expect a tour of her apartment or any of the benefits that come with the tour.)
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP

In the US, women expect to be taken out and have their stuff purchased for them, at least at first.
At first?? I did it for 5 ****ing years.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
All guys like a woman who offers, and all women like a guy who pays.

I've never let a woman pay for dinner, pretty much ever. Even my 'friends' (i.e. non-romantic) who are women. Guess I'm a bit stubborn.
I dated a guy like you once! The only downside to what you described is that when we made plans I felt like I couldn't really propose what I really wanted to do because of the cost - because I knew he wouldn't let me split the bill.

I've always offered to pay my fair share - so I don't know that this is a consistent rule in the U.S - but I wouldn't make a federal case of it. If the bill came and the guy went to pay I would usually say "can I help you with that?" or similar. If they refused I dropped it and thanked them. After the first couple of dates though I think going dutch is much more common. Granted my info is about 7 years out of date now.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:50 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
At first?? I did it for 5 ****ing years.
Well, to get the ****ing here, you need to ****ing pay for it.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:00 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of things make sense now, like why a many of us here ended up marrying US men!

I have always paid my way, it is a matter of personal pride. When I went on a date it was about getting to know someone not a financial transaction.

I think my DH is an honorary Yorkshire man, he hated the idea that he had previously had to prove himself financially when dating.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I agree JerseyGirl and PoppyGirl! I fully understand wanting to look nice for a date, but I guess I'm lower maintenance. A shower, nice clean (pressed generally) clothes, make-up, jewelry, perfume, and maybe adding a little curl to my hair and I'm out the door.

But when I was dating in my early twenties - I did well paying my rent, car payment, and for other necessities. I've been financially independent since I was 22, and at first it wasn't easy. I wouldn't have had $245 to spend prepping for a date, and wouldn't do it today either. The kind of guy I like wouldn't be into all that.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I think my DH is an honorary Yorkshire man, he hated the idea that he had previously had to prove himself financially when dating.
How awful. I've always just thought offering to pay was something a well-mannered man did ... but not that he was providing his financial worth.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I will have to agree with Jersey on this UGA...apart from jumping in the shower I am good to go lol
Takes me an hour and I am out the door
Can I blow my own trumpet as well same here
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Haircut if needed $60
Mani-pedi $50
Garden work $20
New outfit $75

Garden work...for a first date? I don't think a classy lady would let him anywhere near her garden on a first date...I certainly haven't.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:12 pm
Bloody Yank

Garden work...for a first date?
Something about ho(e)s, I imagine.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Something about ho(e)s, I imagine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.